• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 9 Error Messages

Huss417

Question

Hi all,

I was reading on how people were having issues with Memorex discs I was using Memorex DVD-R. They seemed to be working fine. Yesterday I needed new discs so I purchased Sony DVD-R. it might just be coincidence but the first Sony disc I used I got an error message saying verification failed. sector 1743968 is unreadable. This disc ejected but when I looked at it it seemed all the info was on the disc. I tried another disc to copy for my folks and I got the same error message at the same spot it was at 76% when it stopped.

That was it for yesterday I decided maybe my Mac needed a break. This morning I received a different error message while it was writing the disc at about 30% I got a hardware error message. My question i guess is could it be the Sony discs? I hate to keep wasting them and if I should try picking up a different brand to see if I still get the error messages?

Mac OS X 10.5.5 and using Toast 9.0.4

Thanks and sorry to be long winded here.

**** I found a blank memorex dvd which worked. I will now try one of the ones that didn't work with Sony and see what happens.

***** Ok, The Memorex disc worked fine no errors at all. I then tried another one where I had the hardware error message and that file copied without an issue as well.

Is it possible that the 100 spindle of Sony discs are bad? I have tried 10 of them so far and with each one I received an error message. If they are bad can they be returned?

Edited by Huss417

1 answer to this question

They should be able to be returned. I'm presuming Sony provides some kind of warranty on their product and that the store will accept return of defective merchandise.

There is a way to check what others users are experiencing with specific media. Insert a blank DVD and choose Disc Info from Toast's Recorder menu. In a window that appears there is a hotlink that takes you to a Web site where users submit reports on specific media by manufacturer code.

I recommend Verbatim media. Also, if you have anything critical burned to the Memorex discs (such as your photo backups) I suggest making an additional copy to a different brand. My brother discovered that many of his older burned DVDs won't mount and I spent a lot of time trying to recover their contents. Some I couldn't salvage. So it isn't just a matter of does the disc burn now, but will it last.