Roxio Cineplayer

ahamilton

Question

Hi,

Every time I play a media file or access one of my external hard drives, I get a message saying "Please wait while Windows configures Roxio CinePlayer" and then "The feature you're trying to use is on a removable disc or CD-ROM that is not available". I've tried inserting the disc and installing Roxio CinePlayer which worked but the message still appears. If I try and cancel another box just appears. If I Ctrl+Alt+Del and force it to close than either Explorer or Windows Media Player closes as well. I'm using Windows XP Pro.

Please can someone tell me how to stop this from happening as it slows my computer down quite a bit apart from anything else.

Thanks,

Anthony.

22 answers to this question

Here' what I have:

Processor - Intel E4400 Core2 Duo 2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB Cache, Dual Core. 64bit Processor Extension Socket: 775

Motherboard - ASUS P5N-E SLI

Graphics Card - XFX GeForce 8400GS 256MB PCI-E Low Profile Card

Hard Drive - Hitachi 320GB

DVD Drive - Optiarc DVD+-R/RW/RAM 18x SATA BL OEM

RAM - Kingston 2GB PC2-5300 DDR 667 240Pin

How do I find out what codecs I have installed?

I think the problem started when I installed a new slave hard drive.

Edited by ahamilton

To check codecs, download and run gspot and navigate from that to the file you are using - it will tell you if you have the correct codecs or, if not, what codecs you need

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Just out of curiosity - is it files on the other drive that can't be read or is it all files?

If it isn't a codec problem and you have installed something else, then maybe you will need to do a clean install (check here for info - don't miss or add any steps to the article)

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=41967

Also, check for the latest video drivers from ATI and the latest (November) version of DirectX from Microsoft

Gspot didn't indicate that I needed any codecs, but I'm not certain that I was using it correctly.

The Roxio CinePlayer installation box popped up whenever I opened anything in Windows Media Player and whenever I opened my external hard drive in Windows Explorer.

I tried uninstalling Creator 2009 and got an error code 0652. Creator 2009 didn't fully install, but it did leave it unusable. I've just tried reinstalling from the original disc and got the error code 000D, so now I can't use the software at all.

I've tried installing with no other programs running, restarting and cleaning the registry with CCleaner, but nothing helps.

Please can you advise what I should do to get the program installed again as I use it a lot?

Thank you.

The app data folder is normally hidden and can be missed

Go to tools, folder options, view in explorer and set it to show hidden files and folders and make sure there are no Roxio or Sonic folders in there. Do that with all the 'user' folders

I'm afraid I'm rapidly running out of ideas on this one - one last thing is if you could try a clean install again, but this time uninstall MS net framework 3.5. That should also be installed, but if you 'updated' you may have 3.5 SP1 and that did cause problems

I tried unistalling .NET Framework 3.5, but I still got the same error from Roxio. Thanks for your advice anyway.

Question, what operating system are you using including service pack?

What do you mean you "tried unistalling .NET Framework 3.5"?

Was there a entry in add remove for .Net 3.5, details please?

cd

I am also having this same issue, but it works a little different than your description. I got a new Dell Vostro 410 with a quad core processor, 4 GB Ram, running Vista Ultimate 32 bit version, SP1. Every time I try to open any file that uses windows media player I get the message "Please wait while windows configures Roxio CinePlayer" It then pops up a Roxio CinePlayer box that says it can't find the installation package that contains "CP.MSI" and it is pointing to C:\Users\UserName\App Data\Local\Temp\WZSE0.TMP\CinePlayer_5X\

If I click on cancel at any time in either window the file plays fine, but this is getting really annoying. I also have a friend that is running Vista Ultimate 64 bit on a brand new Dell Laptop and has the exact same issue.

After many hours of trying, I've finallly managed to get Roxio Media Creator 2009 reinstalled (don't ask me how). And guess what, I've got exactly the same problem as before. The Roxio CinePlayer installer constantly pops up whenever I use Windows Media Player or access my external hard drive. Does anyone have any other ideas?

After many hours of trying, I've finallly managed to get Roxio Media Creator 2009 reinstalled (don't ask me how). And guess what, I've got exactly the same problem as before. The Roxio CinePlayer installer constantly pops up whenever I use Windows Media Player or access my external hard drive. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Call Roxio on Monday?

Roxio support wasn't too helpful, but I have now managed to stop the installer popping up all the time. What I did was download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 , install it and remove the reference to Roxio Cineplayer [5.0]. Now everything's fine.

Edited by ahamilton

Roxio support wasn't too helpful, but I have now managed to stop the installer popping up all the time. What I did was download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 , install it and remove the reference to Roxio Cineplayer [5.0]. Now everything's fine.

I was having the same problem ever since I purchased this software. I am still "fighting" with Roxio about a backup CD and this is not working as it should so up till now I have not contacted them about thos Cineplayer thing. However, I did what you did and now at least I can start Media Player without Roxio putting its nose in all the time, so THANKS VERY MUCH!!

JOEX

Just remember that when you use the MSICU that it doesn't remove and files or folders.

All it does is remove the install info from Windows and make it look uninstalled.

You might want to check and make sure you don't have loose files or folders floating around.