pcstark30

Newer CD-RW-Buffer Under-Runs

I'm Win Me/LG (brand) CED 8080-B CD-RW & still haven't purchased New Drive - - Per the (at end) answer from March Post [buffer Only to 1%-2% ]: Is the ability to fight the Buffer Under-Runs/Trackwriter Errors, etc. because of the Newer Drive OR the [software] that comes with it that can slow things down to match reading with writing? After failures at straight Data BkUp ( always crashed at 71% complete) I tried the First Make Hard Drive Image, and then it worked making a BkUp From the Image. Still think I'd like to try new Lite-On CD-RW at only $21 (NewEgg) but wonder if ECDC 5-P would be able to [Coordinate the read-write speeds] as the March post answer suggests newer drives do. A Nero pkg comes with the Lite-On CD-RW I'd get but I would keep ECDC5-P if capable. Thanks as always!

The March post answer: You're suffering "buffer underrun", and if you had an old burner this condition would kill your copy every time. The ability to recover from these is a feature of newer drives.

What's happening is that the system [reader drive and software processing] can't get data off the CD and into your writer fast enough, and your writer's data buffer is running dry. When this happens the writer stops until the buffer fills up some, and then restarts and immediately sucks the buffer dry again, and round we go again.

The latest (and most likely LAST) drive-up patch for ECDC 5 was in December 2004. Any drive newer than that would not be recognized.

This is a 1999 program, after all. Roxio has since released ECD/DVDC 6, EMC 7, EMC 7.5 (when Sonic bought Roxio and combined Sonic and Roxio programs), and EMC 8. It is probable they are working on Version 9.

If checking the date the drive was released indicates it is too new, there's always eBay for older drives - which may well be unused. Depends on if they are being sold by a liquidator or a former owner.

Or use a newer program.

Lynn

Edited by lynn98109

Hi, Lynn: I think it was Brendon who showed me prior how to modify the ECDC Registry part for this Model and I did so. With this Model presumably set-up to work, will ECDC5-P be able to coordinate with the Lite-On Drive to match Read and Write and prevent Buffer Under-Runs and (maybe) Trackwriter errors? Thanks!

The latest (and most likely LAST) drive-up patch for ECDC 5 was in December 2004. Any drive newer than that would not be recognized.

This is a 1999 program, after all. Roxio has since released ECD/DVDC 6, EMC 7, EMC 7.5 (when Sonic bought Roxio and combined Sonic and Roxio programs), and EMC 8. It is probable they are working on Version 9.

If checking the date the drive was released indicates it is too new, there's always eBay for older drives - which may well be unused. Depends on if they are being sold by a liquidator or a former owner.

Or use a newer program.

Lynn

Hi, Lynn: I think it was Brendon who showed me prior how to modify the ECDC Registry part for this Model and I did so. With this Model presumably set-up to work, will ECDC5-P be able to coordinate with the Lite-On Drive to match Read and Write and prevent Buffer Under-Runs and (maybe) Trackwriter errors? Thanks!

Of course, another solution would be to get a faster source drive for your PC too.

Hello,

So you're getting buffer underruns when you try to do an "on the fly" copy, and you're wondering if a new drive will stop them or if ECDC5 can do that for you?

That post you quoted, here actually has most of the answers already, but I'll go through your specific questions.

Is the ability to fight the Buffer Under-Runs/Trackwriter Errors, etc. because of the Newer Drive OR the [software] that comes with it that can slow things down to match reading with writing?

-To stop buffer underruns, YOU need to make sure you're not trying to burn faster than you can feed the burner. The software won't do this for you.

-the fact that you can burn from an image without problem but have difficulty burning "on the fly" suggests your reader may be slow, and a faster reader/audio extractor drive might help this. But is it worth buying a new CDROM for an old system?

-installing a newer burner will give you buffer underrun recovery, but won't let you burn any faster than your system can feed the burner. You're still better off making an image and burning from that.

Still think I'd like to try new Lite-On CD-RW at only $21 (NewEgg) but wonder if ECDC 5-P would be able to [Coordinate the read-write speeds]

You could get a new Lite-On, but it wouldn't help because

(1) you'd have to edit the registry to get it recognized

(2) it still won't burn any faster than your system can feed it

(3) your system already seems to be working at its fastest limits, and they're not fast enough for you.

Your system is an old one; it has a slow reader; it's running that buggy WindowsMe. If you did get a new Lite-On I'd honestly have to suggest you keep the Lite-On and replace the rest of the system.

I'm sorry, but there's little point in flogging an old donkey. It isn't going to go any faster by grafting horses parts onto it. Stick with burning from an image until you can afford a new computer.

For $25 via NewEgg.com I just installed the Lite-On SOHR-5239V CD-RW and have entered a new world - things work every time, And FAST! - No Buffer Under-Run/Trackwriter error messages!! This was too cheap not to try. For users with older Burners like mine there is No Reason to suffer forever. Can't discern re: the old Drive or ECDC5-P as to what contributed to the problems, but I had a nice memorial service for the old girl and am using the software pkg that came with the drive. Thanks to all the Moderators who helped along the way!

Your system is an old one; it has a slow reader; it's running that buggy WindowsMe. If you did get a new Lite-On I'd honestly have to suggest you keep the Lite-On and replace the rest of the system.

I'm sorry, but there's little point in flogging an old donkey. It isn't going to go any faster by grafting horses parts onto it. Stick with burning from an image until you can afford a new computer.

Edited by d_deweywright

I suspect the new Lite-on will be reading data and extracting audio a lot faster than your old drive. You have put off the day when you have to replace your system with a new one. That's good.

The program supplied with the drive will be a lot newer, and will probably be optimized a lot better for the new drive. There's no point in staying with old slow things just because you're used to them, or just because they're one of our sponsor's fine products.

Find something which suits you (like you have done) and go with it.

For $25 via NewEgg.com I just installed the Lite-On SOHR-5239V CD-RW and have entered a new world - things work every time, And FAST! - No Buffer Under-Run/Trackwriter error messages!! This was too cheap not to try. For users with older Burners like mine there is No Reason to suffer forever. Can't discern re: the old Drive or ECDC5-P as to what contributed to the problems, but I had a nice memorial service for the old girl and am using the software pkg that came with the drive. Thanks to all the Moderators who helped along the way!

Probably, tho, it's about time to start considering what you want in the new computer to go with your new burner.

Lynn