• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What provides the best quality pictures?

jplalonde

Question

I created a few slideshows and the picture quality is never very good. The quality of the original digital picture was excellent (2 to 4 MB for each picture).

Is there a "Best" method to get the highest quality picture slideshow as viewed using a DVD player with a TV or a computer?

Thank you in advance for your recommendations. :)

11 answers to this question

Your high quality (high resolution) photo files will lose quality as they are "reduced" to ~720x480 resolution as required by DVD compliant video. You are not actually creating a "slideshow" but a video of your photos. You will have no direct control ove your viewing sequence such as "next" or "previous"

Can I throw a question in here? I just upgraded to version 8 because of a feature noted on their web site:

"Video & Photo Slideshows - now on high-definition DVD"

What the heck does this mean? I thought I would have the ability to create some good resolution slideshows but by the sound of your reply it looks like I am still limited to NTSC resolution. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, if you use slide show assistant from MyDVD, one of the options is a slide show that is of the original images. I'm not near my computer to check it out so I don't remember the choice of or if you can add background music. I'll check it out later.

Just checked it out. The options are VideoCD High resolution. Twice the normal resolution (of what? of VCD or DVD). Music but no transitions. I'm not sure how high is high resolution. The description is sort of ambiguous. The other option is DVD projector again music but no transitions. My hunch is that this is more like Windows Slide Show Viewer that can be burned to a disc.

Can I throw a question in here? I just upgraded to version 8 because of a feature noted on their web site:

"Video & Photo Slideshows - now on high-definition DVD"

What the heck does this mean? I thought I would have the ability to create some good resolution slideshows but by the sound of your reply it looks like I am still limited to NTSC resolution. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.

If I remember correctly, if you use slide show assistant from MyDVD, one of the options is a slide show that is of the original images. I'm not near my computer to check it out so I don't remember the choice of or if you can add background music. I'll check it out later.

Just checked it out. The options are VideoCD High resolution. Twice the normal resolution (of what? of VCD or DVD). Music but no transitions. I'm not sure how high is high resolution. The description is sort of ambiguous. The other option is DVD projector again music but no transitions. My hunch is that this is more like Windows Slide Show Viewer that can be burned to a disc.

Ah, thanks for the post. So it does seem a bit misleading...I probably wouldn't have made the purchase otherwise. I'll try doing a couple of slideshows using these options and see what happens. But really, without the ability of adding transitions it's kind of worthless. It's also a shame you have to "dig" into this just to figure out a highly emphasized new feature, I mean really. It's not in the help files either.

Thanks again!

Jeez, I just checked this out and I don't see either of these settings. I am checking through the slideshow assistant and all other apps I can find but no VideoCD High Resolution or DVD Projector options. Could you tell me what area of the app you see these?

Thanks

Paul:

In your message you suggest saving the VW file to an ISO file then burn that file to a disc.

The Movie Maker 2 board suggests saving to an DV AVI file then burn to disc. Is that basically the same thing you are suggesting or can I get a better quality image creating an ISO file. (What does ISO stand for?)

Paul:

In your message you suggest saving the VW file to an ISO file then burn that file to a disc.

The Movie Maker 2 board suggests saving to an DV AVI file then burn to disc. Is that basically the same thing you are suggesting or can I get a better quality image creating an ISO file. (What does ISO stand for?)

Take your project from VideoWave to MyDVD, if you are using version 8, and burn it to an .iso file from there.

I created a few slideshows and the picture quality is never very good. The quality of the original digital picture was excellent (2 to 4 MB for each picture).

Is there a "Best" method to get the highest quality picture slideshow as viewed using a DVD player with a TV or a computer?

Use Videowave to make your slide show. When complete, you can save it in any format you want but it's much easier to complete the project in VW and click the 'dvd' icon to send it to MyDVD. From there, uncheck 'fit to disc' and select 'best quality'. Save as an image file then use Disc Copier to burn the ISO to disc.

I strongly recommend the help and tutorial files.

I thought that those were available in the Standard Version (probably not the essentials version). It may be my mistake since I have the deluxe version. I opened MyDVD, then selected add slideshow. Added pictures (step 1) and then selected next to go to step 2. On the left is a drop down menu. I've added an image to show you what I have. If you don't have them, it was my mistake and I apologize. Also, Roxio is offering or will be offering an upgrade from the standard version to the deluxe for around $20. It is worth the update for other reasons. (Don't bother with the Dazzle capture device.)

Jeez, I just checked this out and I don't see either of these settings. I am checking through the slideshow assistant and all other apps I can find but no VideoCD High Resolution or DVD Projector options. Could you tell me what area of the app you see these?

Thanks

I thought that those were available in the Standard Version (probably not the essentials version). It may be my mistake since I have the deluxe version. I opened MyDVD, then selected add slideshow. Added pictures (step 1) and then selected next to go to step 2. On the left is a drop down menu. I've added an image to show you what I have. If you don't have them, it was my mistake and I apologize. Also, Roxio is offering or will be offering an upgrade from the standard version to the deluxe for around $20. It is worth the update for other reasons. (Don't bother with the Dazzle capture device.)

OK, I get it. I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking at the settings in the "make movie" dialog as this is where you can make changes to the output size, frame rate, etc. Go figure that Roxio would allow you to change the output resolution of your slideshow in a section called "transitions". I think tehy must have programmers in other countries and are using a translator when it comes to designing the user interface.

Thanks for the clarification.

I agree that some things are pretty well hidden. One of my first pieces of advice to someone who upgrades from V7 to V8 is to try to forget all you know about how something works. It is probably different in V8. :)

Let us know which of the two options gives you better results (if one does).

OK, I get it. I was looking in the wrong place. I was looking at the settings in the "make movie" dialog as this is where you can make changes to the output size, frame rate, etc. Go figure that Roxio would allow you to change the output resolution of your slideshow in a section called "transitions". I think tehy must have programmers in other countries and are using a translator when it comes to designing the user interface.

Thanks for the clarification.

Your high quality (high resolution) photo files will lose quality as they are "reduced" to ~720x480 resolution as required by DVD compliant video. You are not actually creating a "slideshow" but a video of your photos. You will have no direct control ove your viewing sequence such as "next" or "previous"

Archived