Thanks for Another Crash Roxio. This is IT!

bmonnery

Question

After the last crash of two computers a few months ago - one with EMC 8 and another with EMC 7.5, you think I would have learned. Oh no, after reinstalling everything, I installed EMC and frankly breathed a sigh of relief each time Windows successfully started.

So today, I decided to install V4 of Adobe Photoshop Elements and after the install got a message that Drag to Disc was missing some files and to re-install. Did a repair via Control Panel/Add_Delete Programs and then EMC went into a loop looking for a file D:\52d54.msi on the EMC Suite disk which it couldn't see even though I fed the drive the Suite CD. Each time I had to use Task Manager to get out of the "install" which was looping.

After several failed attempts and nothing on the forums to go on, I decided to uninstall EMC8 - BIG MISTAKE. The BSOD returned and now I am re-installing everything from scratch - everything that is EXCEPT EMC8.

The discs and manuals will be left out for Friday's trash pickup and I will, as I stated last November, never buy another Roxio/Sonic product as long as I live. The software is such utter trash that I wouldn't even give it way, far sooner let the trashman take it to the dump.

Oh it's been a slice Roxio and what a great day to spend a vacation day.

Bruce the frustrated

5 answers to this question

Bruce, I understand your frustration but I don't see where you posted here for help with your problems. There are many knowledgeable people who read these boards that might have been able to help you.

Paul, I didn't need to use the board as EMC8 has been keeping my computer clean until yesterday. Besides, when I DID use the board last November, very few "knowledgable people" were helpful and no comments were made by Roxio staff. Grandpa Bruce was the only one that could help and even then hadn't experienced what I had.

Why would I ask for help when I need to uninstall a program? Been doing it for 20 years without it crashing computers. Before uninstalling and during the time the program was looping, I did look at the boards and there was absolutely nothing that was remotely close or would assist.

Once I have returned my first machine back to where it was, I'll trash EMC8 on the other machine by using Roxizap and the Microsoft utility and then cross my fingers.

Bruce

Paul, I didn't need to use the board as EMC8 has been keeping my computer clean until yesterday. Besides, when I DID use the board last November, very few "knowledgable people" were helpful and no comments were made by Roxio staff. Grandpa Bruce was the only one that could help and even then hadn't experienced what I had.

Why would I ask for help when I need to uninstall a program? Been doing it for 20 years without it crashing computers. Before uninstalling and during the time the program was looping, I did look at the boards and there was absolutely nothing that was remotely close or would assist.

Once I have returned my first machine back to where it was, I'll trash EMC8 on the other machine by using Roxizap and the Microsoft utility and then cross my fingers.

Bruce

The reason no one from Roxio responded is because it's a users forum. Anyone, including Roxio personall CAN reply but they have a support number for actual technical support.

As for as asking for help, I don't know anyone who doesn't need help at some time or another.

Hi Paul:

Since you seem to want to help and of course we all need help from time to time, I am turning to you for some assistance. I notice you have a Dell system and I have both a Dimension 8300 and 8200 both running XP Pro and the 8300 1Gb memory and the 8200 512MB memory.

Obviously EMC runs flawlessly on your Dell so I'm not sure why it gives me grief.

It occurred to me that EMC has been disastrous to my computers since installing Adobe Photoshop Elements. Any correlation between these two packages as EMC has photosuite? Would they be conflicting with each other over certain files?

When the system crashes and one gets the BSOD, the screen quickly scrolls through partition info citing C:\windows\system32\drivers and gives a number of drivers that are obviously corrupted from the crash. Having re-installed as a result of EMC this past November, I am formatting the C drive with only one partition although I guess XP defaults a small 8 ?b (can't recall if it's 8Gb or 8Mb) partition.

I don't use EMC's Photosuite but use several of the other applications and feel I'd miss them tremendously. Can one perform a custom install leaving out some of the EMC applications?

I am ready to try Nero but it too has photo editing software and so don't want to run into the same problem as I've had with EMC. I can't afford the time to keep re-installing the whole system although next time maybe I'll partition placing XP into a c drive, applications in e and data in f.

So what's your take on this dilemna?

Thanks

Bruce

After the last crash of two computers a few months ago - one with EMC 8 and another with EMC 7.5, you think I would have learned. Oh no, after reinstalling everything, I installed EMC and frankly breathed a sigh of relief each time Windows successfully started.

So today, I decided to install V4 of Adobe Photoshop Elements and after the install got a message that Drag to Disc was missing some files and to re-install. Did a repair via Control Panel/Add_Delete Programs and then EMC went into a loop looking for a file D:\52d54.msi on the EMC Suite disk which it couldn't see even though I fed the drive the Suite CD. Each time I had to use Task Manager to get out of the "install" which was looping.

After several failed attempts and nothing on the forums to go on, I decided to uninstall EMC8 - BIG MISTAKE. The BSOD returned and now I am re-installing everything from scratch - everything that is EXCEPT EMC8.

The discs and manuals will be left out for Friday's trash pickup and I will, as I stated last November, never buy another Roxio/Sonic product as long as I live. The software is such utter trash that I wouldn't even give it way, far sooner let the trashman take it to the dump.

Oh it's been a slice Roxio and what a great day to spend a vacation day.

Bruce the frustrated

Bruce, I understand your frustration but I don't see where you posted here for help with your problems. There are many knowledgeable people who read these boards that might have been able to help you.

Archived