Codec Issue

nikky_baby69

Question

cob206,

Hi. I'm in a state of great unhappiness over this one.

Usually when you get this behaviour from MyDVD or Express, it means you don't have the right codecs installed for the AVI you're trying to add to your DVD. However you say you have the right codec installed, and you certainly have the right understanding, so that called for some testing. I've included all my working here, so you can judge for yourself if I've reached the only logical conclusion.

(1) Easy CD & DVD Burning is a cut-down version of EMC9. It has had the ability to handle AC3 audio surgically removed, so I thought it might have had its AVIs cut off too. :(

(2) I took a fresh XP-SP2 installation and installed Easy CD & DVD burning. Surprise! MyDVD Express handled some of the AVIs I threw at it, but wouldn't touch avis compressed with the 4CC codes I263; XviD; DIV3; or DX50. [DIV3 and DX50 are DivX] So MyDVD Express is able to handle some AVIs.

(3) I installed the I263 codec, and the AVIs with I263 were at once accepted by MyDVD Express and Windows Media player. That was encouraging, because if it worked for I263 then it should work for DivX and XviD. :)

(4) I installed XviD 1.1.3 [the latest] and Windows Media Player started to play them, but My DVDExpress would not touch them. :(

(5) I Installed DivX 6.8 [the latest] and WMP was playing everything, but My DVDExpress still would not touch them. :angry:

(6) I changed the 4CC code of a DX50 AVI to DIVX, and MyDVD Express accepted it. I changed it back and that file was then rejected again.

I spent the rest of my afternoon installing various codecs for XviD and DivX, but none of them changed the situation.

(7) I installed the full EMC9 suite on another fresh XP-SP2 system and threw the same AVIs at it. I needed to install the I263 codec to get the I263 AVIs to be accepted, but since DivX is included with EMC9 all the DivX and XviD files worked without a problem.

Based on this testing, I think that Easy CD & DVD Burning has had its handling of DivX and XviD AVIs deliberately disabled - probably by testing for the 4CC codes used by AVIs compressed with these codecs, and blocking where that 4CC code is found. [they forgot DIVX :lol: ]

I don't know why this was done, but doing this would stop you buying Easy CD & DVD Burning [cheaper than EMC9] and installing the free DivX bundle to get the same result as the full version of MyDVD Express. If I'm being too cynical, or my logic is wrong, I would be delighted to have someone step in and point out the flaw. Given that the advertising at the point of sale does not tell the buyer of the deliberate crippling of parts of the software, how *legal* is this?

I don't think you missed anything. You need to check your toilet!! :(

Regards,

Brendon

Hi, i dont know much about computers or what codecs are... so none of what you said just made sense. im just tryin to burn tv shows off my onto dvd but it comes up with the red cross. i have mydvd 9...

2 answers to this question

codecs are COder/DECoder files - they allow Media Player or Cineplayer to play different types of files - DivX is one, so is XVid and AC3

To find out what you need, go here

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

download the small app and run it - then navigate to the file you are having problems with and it will tell you what codecs you need to open it

Hi, i dont know much about computers or what codecs are... so none of what you said just made sense. im just tryin to burn tv shows off my onto dvd but it comes up with the red cross. i have mydvd 9...

If you have the RedBox software or any of the cut-down versions of Easy Media Creator 9, what I said above means you can't do it because the software is deliberately knackered. Is that simple enough?

If you don't have the RedBox software [Easy CD and DVD Burning (in Red Box)] you're in the wrong forum.

Brendon