• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Windows XP get Windows Media Player 11 in June

The Highlander

Microsoft plans to jazz up its music player in Windows Vista, the company's next operating system. But at least some of the new features will debut much sooner.

The software, which will be built into Vista, is designed to offer better synching with portable devices, make it easier to scroll through long libraries of music, and be tightly integrated with Urge, a new subscription and download music service co-developed by Microsoft and MTV Networks.

But while most people won't be able to get their hands on Vista until next year, consumers will be able to get some of the media enhancements sooner. Microsoft is on track to release a Windows XP version of Windows Media Player 11 before the end of June, the company confirmed last week.

Microsoft has been uncharacteristically tight-lipped about the XP incarnation. The company briefly demonstrated it at the Consumer Electronics Show in January but has said little since. Microsoft has said the XP version won't have all the features of its Vista sibling, but the company won't say which features will be excluded. The company also has yet to offer a public test version of the software.

The Vista version, which has been in public testing for months, offers significant changes from the current version of the media-playing software, particularly when connecting to portable devices.

With the new media player, consumers will be able to "reverse sync," meaning they can send content from a digital device to a PC. That will allow users to transfer pictures taken with their camera phone, or music purchased on a wireless device.

Other sync options include synching a player to multiple PCs and filling a device with random tracks--a la Shuffle in iTunes--according to a Windows Vista product guide that was briefly made available on the Internet last week.

Another change is the ability to alter protected music and video files to change their quality level. With the new software, protected Windows Media files can be converted to smaller file sizes for playback on mobile devices, where there is less need for very-high-quality video files.

Full link to story here

From what I can tell, Microsoft and others are more interested in implementing and enforcing ever more invasive and restrictive DRM concepts and forcing their customers to do things their way whether we want to or not than anything else. I've refused to go past version 8 WMP and have absolutely no interest in Vista based on what I've read so far.

From what I can tell, Microsoft and others are more interested in implementing and enforcing ever more invasive and restrictive DRM concepts and forcing their customers to do things their way whether we want to or not than anything else. I've refused to go past version 8 WMP and have absolutely no interest in Vista based on what I've read so far.

WinPlayer 6.4 in Win98 SE remains my CD player of choice, altho it's never been quite the same since ECDC 5 got into it. At present (it's been re-set as default, thanks, Brendon), the only way to get a CD out of the computer's memory is go into "my computer" and eject - this is with the CD already removed and WinPlayer 6.4 closed. However, it's usually about time to reboot anyway.

I never did figure out the controls of WinPlayer 10 on WinXP ... I downloaded a minimal WinAmp player for default, and someone smuggled me a Win2000 Player that I can figure out the controls on ... altho since it's not possible to type in CD info and I won't let it online, all CDs are "new CD".

So far, I've not had any bad encounters with DRM - but, I don't download music, and my CDs are old, and are NOT from SONY.

I'm not an "early adoptor".

Lynn

You are correct, but I have version 9 WMP and have not had problems. Vista offers nothing as far as I am concerned, but then again, I have no reason to install SP2 for Windows XP. I have some older software, for my business, that SP2 had know problems with. They have supposedly fixed things, but since SP1 is working for me now, I am good to go. :)

BTW, I had Windows XP on my computers the day it was released to the public. I always immediately upgraded my OS, and other software, when it made sense to me.

I agree with you Bruce, I still have SP1 on one of my computers and I don't plan to change it. It really upset me that MS changed the update site so you can't get in unless you have SP2. Oh well, there is more then one way to skin a cat. (no comments, yes I love cats) :D:huh::)

I agree with you Bruce, I still have SP1 on one of my computers and I don't plan to change it. It really upset me that MS changed the update site so you can't get in unless you have SP2. Oh well, there is more then one way to skin a cat. (no comments, yes I love cats) :D:huh::)

Unless they have changed it in the past week, you can still get updates for SP1. I have. You just don't pick the Express when prompted for the 2 choices. Once it goes through the paces, you have to pick other updates, or whatever the terminology is. It then goes through more paces, and you then get the updates for SP1.

When you say don't pick express, is that the same as picking custom. I usually want to pick custom and that is when it tells me I have to have the new software installed. Express, is that when you go to the update site and download them. I have been going to the download page at msn.com and update from there. I use to click on the windows update on msn home page, but can't now.

When you say don't pick express, is that the same as picking custom. I usually want to pick custom and that is when it tells me I have to have the new software installed. Express, is that when you go to the update site and download them. I have been going to the download page at msn.com and update from there. I use to click on the windows update on msn home page, but can't now.

Express means "force-feed".

Custom means "get what you want/need".

About once a year Microsoft insists on a file before the download, which I think, despite their comments on how much more wonderful it makes things, means they can continue to weed out "unauthorized" computers.

Lynn

You would get that if you picked Express, too. I think it is the download software that Microsoft installs. That is changed once or twice a year. I let it install, then pick Custom.

I use WMP10 and haven't had any problems.I also use WinAmp and haven't had any conflicts so far.I use WMP to listen to and catalog my mp3's and WinAmp for Internet radio.I also have ITunes on my machine and to my suprise all apps play nicely together.No conflicts with each other or Roxiio as far as I can tell.

As far as the DRM goes,I figure that's the way it is and if you want to download music,which I do from time to time,then you play by their rules,like it or not.When I download I just burn to an RW and then rip them back into my music folder as an mp3 using WMP with a plugin I have.I just find it alot cheaper to hear a song on the radio,download it and pay 99cents than to buy the whole cd and get songs I don't really like.Just my opinion.

Bottom line is eveyone has there own preferences on what they will and will not do,so to each his own.

You would get that if you picked Express, too. I think it is the download software that Microsoft installs. That is changed once or twice a year. I let it install, then pick Custom.

I tried to let it install a while back and there was a problem, and msn tech said it was because I didn't have SP2, I guess that was wrong. So I gave up and just go to the download page instead. I don't like it as well because it takes a lot of hunting and I am never sure I get them all. I am seldom on the internet with that computer anyway so I have not tried to see why the update software won't install.

Archived