• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 15 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
peterg8

D2D tale

Question

This post is to ask if anyone else encountered the same problem that I did, at about the same time (about April 14), and conceivably for the same reason. I am among those whose computer had D2D working as it should, and it has now lost its functionality.

Last week I lost the D2D function on a computer on which it was previously working. I discovered it shortly after downloading and installing the latest batch of Microsoft updates, which for my computer totalled six. (I note that there is a post on the failures associated with one of those updates in the General Chat forum.) That is when I first discovered the problem, but it is conceivable that it may have been lost earlier, because I installed a number of HP updates, including any associated with my external HP DVD burner. I might have overlooked it then, because I may have had it set not to display.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 with XP Pro, and I may well have 'all' of the supposedly incompatible programs installed on the computer and hitherto co-existing with Roxio 8's D2D without conflict. They worked along with D2D with previous versions of Roxio, and they worked until recently on the machine in question. It seems that everything that is on the 'programs to avoid' list is there, and D2D was working with no problem at all. Now it's kaput with the same symptoms others report.

I could presumably work backward through restore points or restore from backup, but life goes on and the past week has seen a deluge of major updates and service packs that I have installed or noted, including WordPerfect, SystemSuite, PaperPort, Webcopier Pro and the very frequent updates to antivirus and anti-spyware programs, amongst other things. (I do have sympathy for a company that has to try to keep its software compatible with others.)

If anyone else ran into the same problem at the same time, it might provide a clue as to the source of the problem.

3 answers to this question

Now it's back to normal after numerous updates from MS (and HP), and an uninstall and re-install.

Apparently there are more unscheduled updates to come from MS next Tuesday, so others with the problem might give it a try as the various conflicts are worked out.