• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Sony Blue-ray Player Bdp-s5000es

TTLiem

Question

The new Sony BDP-S5000ES Blue-ray disk player will NOT display title lists or title names in the Top Menu of my non-commercial (Toast-9 made Blue-ray video) BDs or DVDs. It only shows a highlighted outline over an invisible selection on a blank screen (no graphics or text). Checking the manual found this on page 34: "Depending on BDs or DVDs recorded on other equipment, title lists or title names may not be displayed." The S2000ES predecessor it replaced had no such issues. Is this a Roxio/Toast fixable issue?

So, those of us with a large collection of previously recorded home made video discs are no longer supported by Sony? That's so unacceptable! :angry:

Edited by TTLiem

16 answers to this question

The new Sony BDP-S5000ES Blue-ray disk player will NOT display title lists or title names in the Top Menu of my non-commercial (Toast-9 made Blue-ray video) BDs or DVDs. It only shows a highlighted outline over an invisible selection on a blank screen (no graphics or text). Checking the manual found this on page 34: "Depending on BDs or DVDs recorded on other equipment, title lists or title names may not be displayed." The S2000ES predecessor it replaced had no such issues. Is this a Roxio/Toast fixable issue?

So, those of us with a large collection of previously recorded home made video discs are no longer supported by Sony? That's so unacceptable! :angry:

Hi! I just bought the Sony Blu-ray player 350. Same problem with Blu-ray content on self-burned DVDs. The tracks play fine but no menu. In Toast 9 with the additional Blu-ray plug-in I used one of the HD menu templates and in VLC I can even see it within the Blu-ray disc structure. But instead of this menu the Sony Blu-ray player shows a black screen with the yellow rectangles only. Is it Sony's fault or is the Blu-ray authoring within Toast not according the specifications?

Is there any fix on the way??

Thanks,

Roland

I have a Sony BDP s350 and have similar symptoms: HD menus that don't work.

I've been nagging Roxio for a month and a half. No progress. I'm certainly miffed about that.

I'm very relieved to read the posts on this thread because I'm beginning to realize that the issue is likely Toast compatibility with Sony BDPs.

What about chapter markers? I'm unable to utilize the "automatic" marker placement function. I've embedded chapter markers in the FCP export QT, imported that into Toast, even adjusting the placement to compensate for the mythical "Toast places markers a few seconds earlier than you indicate" to no avail. What I get are markers that vary from a few second to half a minute off the desired location. Is this also a Sony BDP incompatibility issue?

I'm super bummed out because the auto-play BDs I make look stunningly beautiful! I wish Roxio would at least let me/us know that the problem is being worked on.

Well, I have Sony BDP S301 (with latest firmware updates) and for content I've created (so far), basic HD menus are displaying and working OK. I've created HD content on both iMovie HD and Final Cut Express HD, and brought into Toast 9.0.4. Have burned content onto both DVDs and BDs. Haven't yet spanned multiple button pages or requested option to display chapter marker buttons.

Go here and scroll down to Warning: .. Quirks

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/tamin...wild_blu_2.html

I think loop problem was fixed with 9.0.4, since I had that problem with 9.0.2 on my S301 unit and don't see it any more on 9.0.4. Apparently article author had similar menu problem as you on S350 unit. Wonder if S550 has same problem? Hope problem gets fixed for current and future Sony (and other) players.

I was using Toast 9.0.4.

Problem seems to appear on latest crop/generation of (Sony) BD players.

Yes, looks like Toast doesn't like Sony's new Blu-ray players. The problem: Sony's 350 model seems to be one of the most popular blu-ray players here in Switzerland, most probably even in whole Europe.

I really expect Roxio to find a solution, especially because I had to buy a "blu-ray plug-in" for Toast. At least for potential buyers of this plug-in I would expect a warning like "this plug-in is NOT compatible with the following players...". Everything else is just not okay as Roxio knows the problem for sure.

Any explanation from Roxio itself would be appreciated here...

Cheers, Roland

Yes, looks like Toast doesn't like Sony's new Blu-ray players. The problem: Sony's 350 model seems to be one of the most popular blu-ray players here in Switzerland, most probably even in whole Europe.

I really expect Roxio to find a solution, especially because I had to buy a "blu-ray plug-in" for Toast. At least for potential buyers of this plug-in I would expect a warning like "this plug-in is NOT compatible with the following players...". Everything else is just not okay as Roxio knows the problem for sure.

Any explanation from Roxio itself would be appreciated here...

Cheers, Roland

I'm not Roxio. I do read a lot of posts in both the PC and Mac forums.

If the program has a bug, then it would affect all players not just Sony. Why are you trying to let Sony "off the hook"?

I'd like to hear from owners of players other than Sony. Sony is notorious for not complying with the standards... see especially their camcorder formats. If other players can see the menus then this is a Sony problem. I understand that VLC can see the structure so the standards are being met in the software. Sony should update their firmware to meet the standard.

Complain to Sony

I'm not Roxio. I do read a lot of posts in both the PC and Mac forums.

If the program has a bug, then it would affect all players not just Sony. Why are you trying to let Sony "off the hook"?

I'd like to hear from owners of players other than Sony. Sony is notorious for not complying with the standards... see especially their camcorder formats. If other players can see the menus then this is a Sony problem. I understand that VLC can see the structure so the standards are being met in the software. Sony should update their firmware to meet the standard.

Complain to Sony

Hi! Thanks for replying and happy new year!

What should I say? As far as I know Sony is the main inventor of the "blu-ray" standard. In other words they are going to kill their own standards? Sounds rather strange to me. At least this very Sony model can play all the ordinary "blu-ray" discs I bought. Conclusion: In case Roxio adopted the standards of ordinary blu-ray discs concerning the menus, it should work because all my blu-ray discs play perfect on this player.

Or you can see it the other way around: In case these Sony players are not working properly, the blu-ray discs should have problems too.

And finally: If a company sells an authoring tool that doesn't handle possible weak points of some top-selling players produced by the market leader, do you really think the hardware player would fix this because a third party authoring tool can't handle it???

I use Roxio's Toast for years because it can handle more or less every standard and every burner I can think about. What is wrong if I expect a 20 bucks plug-in to be clever enough to produce a quick menu that works on most blu-ray players, at least the ones from the blu-ray inventor itself?

At least I would expect a kind of official explanation, telling us the reason behind the problem and whether a fix is on the way or not. And of course, I would expect Roxio to clarify this stuff directly with Sony for all of us.

Regards, Roland

Hi! Thanks for replying and happy new year!

What should I say? As far as I know Sony is the main inventor of the "blu-ray" standard. In other words they are going to kill their own standards? Sounds rather strange to me. At least this very Sony model can play all the ordinary "blu-ray" discs I bought. Conclusion: In case Roxio adopted the standards of ordinary blu-ray discs concerning the menus, it should work because all my blu-ray discs play perfect on this player.

Or you can see it the other way around: In case these Sony players are not working properly, the blu-ray discs should have problems too.

And finally: If a company sells an authoring tool that doesn't handle possible weak points of some top-selling players produced by the market leader, do you really think the hardware player would fix this because a third party authoring tool can't handle it???

I use Roxio's Toast for years because it can handle more or less every standard and every burner I can think about. What is wrong if I expect a 20 bucks plug-in to be clever enough to produce a quick menu that works on most blu-ray players, at least the ones from the blu-ray inventor itself?

At least I would expect a kind of official explanation, telling us the reason behind the problem and whether a fix is on the way or not. And of course, I would expect Roxio to clarify this stuff directly with Sony for all of us.

Regards, Roland

As you know, this is not Roxio Support; it is a bunch of users that happen to work with the programs. Roxio employees do not show up here very often and less often recently. If you want an official explanation and help contact Roxio support directly.

As you know, this is not Roxio Support; it is a bunch of users that happen to work with the programs. Roxio employees do not show up here very often and less often recently. If you want an official explanation and help contact Roxio support directly.

Of course, I will contact Roxio support as well. On the other hand it's important to share this kind of experiences with other users IMO. And let's be honest: The more people talking about weak points in public the more chance we have that somebody official takes it for serious and it becomes a certain priority. I'm pretty sure that the responsible Roxio people are checking this forums!

Cheers, Roland

P.S.: By the way: I'm not against Roxio. I bought all their Toast releases in the past. I just hope that they will take care of this blu-ray stuff. However, selling a special plug-in that works only partly is bad for the reputation...

Ok, I've tried several other bluray players. The Menu shows up on Panasonic bluray player, the Menu shows up on Samsung bluray player. The Menu does NOT show up on Sony bluray players, nor their PS3, OR even their bluray player on a PC. But, the Menu DOES show up on OTHER bluray players on a PC.

This is clearly a Sony issue. Not attacking them, but all Sony bluray media that plays bluray discs authored from Toast 9 will not recognize the Menu.

So maybe and hopefully Roxio can somehow create a fix on their next update.

I know in my case this isn't quite the story as menus from Toast show up fine on my PS3

Are they menus from a regular DVD or an authored Bluray DVD? Any menu created on a regular DVD will show up on any Sony player including bluray and PS3. It's only the menus when "Blu-ray Video" is selected when creating an authored bluray disc.

Actually just checked, the menu DOES show up on a PS3, my bad.

Edited by daleles

Are they menus from a regular DVD or an authored Bluray DVD? Any menu created on a regular DVD will show up on any Sony player including bluray and PS3. It's only the menus when "Blu-ray Video" is selected when creating an authored bluray disc.

Actually just checked, the menu DOES show up on a PS3, my bad.

Well, Roxio just announced Toast 10. Maybe this is the answer for some bugs, including the Blu-ray menu-problem and Spin Doctor that is not running properly under OS 10.5.6. I already asked whether there is a way to get Toast 10 for free as I bought Toast 9 nine days ago. Would be interesting to know whether Toast 10 runs fine on 10.5.6 and whether the Blu-ray menues re-appear on Sony blu-ray players with Toast 10. Whoever is going to download Toast 10: Please let us know asap.

Cheers, Roland

Edited by roland b.

Well, Roxio just announced Toast 10. Maybe this is the answer for some bugs, including the Blu-ray menu-problem and Spin Doctor that is not running properly under OS 10.5.6. I already asked whether there is a way to get Toast 10 for free as I bought Toast 9 nine days ago. Would be interesting to know whether Toast 10 runs fine on 10.5.6 and whether the Blu-ray menus re-appear on Sony blu-ray players with Toast 10. Whoever is going to download Toast 10: Please let us know asap. -- Cheers, Roland

Bad news. I just WASTED $150 on Toast 10 Pro. Firstly, Roxio didn't even have the decency to offer an upgrade version (I purchased Toast 9 only a few weeks ago). Secondly, they play that mail-in rebate crap/scam. And thirdly, a Toast 10 Pro burnt HD Blu-ray video on BD media (assume same with DVD media) still will NOT display menus/titles on my Sony S5000ES BD player. I'll assume that this issue will be same with all of Sony's new generation BD players (including the S350). I'm using OS 10.5.6 and I'm beyond ticked off that Roxio is staying mum on this issue! -- TTL

UPDATE: Just burnt a different HD Blu-ray movie, on DVD media this time. Problem still there. -- TTL

Edited by TTLiem