• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Avi -> Vob -> "mac Os Error"

Toasted-n-Burnt

Question

GOAL: I am trying to burn onto a DVD-Video some AVI files I have.

THEN: A while back when I first got Toast I tried doing this directly by dragging the files to Toast, but the resulting discs would not play in the DVD player. After making a set of drink coasters, I read some boards that indicated that the files needed to be converted first to some other format. I started converting to MPEG-4 files with a video conversion program, then burning those onto the DVD with Toast. It worked, although I was never thrilled with the end quality (which was OK to fair).

NOW: I again want to create DVDs from AVI files, but am hoping to improve the end result. This time I used MP4 Video Converter to change the files to .VOB, which I thought would lose the least quality (and definitely less than the MPEG-4). When I drag the VOBs to Toast to burn, Toast takes its typical eternity to reformat. But then, when the entire process it about 70% through, Toast either ends the process or [in the most recent case] shut down completely. One other thing I noticed was that each VOB video created by the converter came out as one single file, rather then the familiar multi-file TS folders.

I am sure I am not doing the the best or most efficient way, and my investigation could find no clear remedies. I welcome any and all comments about how to do AVI to DVD as easily and with as much quality retention as possible.

6 answers to this question

Toast does not work well with VOBs. In fact, I'm surprised you had any trouble with the AVIs because Toast does work well with nearly anything playable with QuickTime Player. One thing you probably need when using AVI's is the Perian codec at perian.org. Without that you could end up with video DVDs lacking any audio.

It's very unlikely that the format of the source video had anything to do with why the DVD didn't play in the DVD player. If you didn't have the Perian codec installed then I suppose the DVD player may have balked at playing a DVD lacking any audio, but that's the only connection with the source video that could lead to that problem.

What I recommend is using your AVI directly in Toast (after installing Perian) and choose Save as Disc Image. Then burn the disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Choose a slower than Best speed for burning the disc, such as a maximum of 8X.

As for VOBs, if they are authored in a VIDEO_TS folder Toast can extract the MPEG video file from the VOB using the Toast Media Browser. But it sounds like you have standalone VOBs. In that case you need to open them in MPEG Streamclip and choose Convert to MPEG, so you can use the resulting MPEG 2 video file in Toast.

Toast does not work well with VOBs. In fact, I'm surprised you had any trouble with the AVIs because Toast does work well with nearly anything playable with QuickTime Player. One thing you probably need when using AVI's is the Perian codec at perian.org. Without that you could end up with video DVDs lacking any audio.

Yes! That is exactly what happened -- they did not have any sound. I will go to perian.org directly and update it in system preferences. Hopefully that will obviate any of the Mac OS errors I was encountering.

¡Muchas Gracias!

What I recommend is using your AVI directly in Toast (after installing Perian) and choose Save as Disc Image. Then burn the disc image to DVD using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Choose a slower than Best speed for burning the disc, such as a maximum of 8X.

As for VOBs, if they are authored in a VIDEO_TS folder Toast can extract the MPEG video file from the VOB using the Toast Media Browser. But it sounds like you have standalone VOBs. In that case you need to open them in MPEG Streamclip and choose Convert to MPEG, so you can use the resulting MPEG 2 video file in Toast.

Well I ran the AVI files through Toast directly after updating the codecs. Each time Toast crashed. It didn't even leave me with an error message. I tried doing a Save To disc image as you recommended, and also tried a direct burn to DVD. Same result in each case. I would say maybe the burn speed was too high at 8x, except it happened when going to disc image as well plus Toast did not give me the error message about there being a burn issue (like it did before I discovered the Buffer Underrun button).

As for the treatment of VOBs, that was not necessary since I went back to the original AVIs instead of double-converting them via VOB and MPEG-2.

So I remain somewhat confounded about what to do about this. Hope this additional information provides a better indication to you of my situation.

I received advice from a guru which didn't quite fit. Does that mean this topic is now dead? :unsure:

What's with the suitcases and question marks anyway?

I don't know what to add. Changing a VOB to MPEG2 so it can be used in Toast does not involve any re-encoding. MPEG Streamclip can do this. I don't know anything about the symbols.