• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Clip Editor Within Sound Editor

klismith

Question

Having trouble using Sound Editor to edit a music file previously created from Convert LP's in EMC 10. I've successfully edited about 10 LP's recently. When I use "Add Audio File" and load the file for editing, the files appear in the clip and mix editors. I save the file as a project. I zoom on the file to find the end and beginning of tracks to insert/adjust the track separators or do further editing (fade out or insert silence). The problem I keep having is that the clip editor won't allow me to click on the file to pick the position I want to play. I need to be able to do this so that I can listen to that portion of the LP and pick the proper spot for the separators or editing features I mentioned. A couple times it did actually let me pick the positions to playback the music being edited, unfortunately just before I was almost complete, the whole program crashed and I had to start over. So now I keep trying to do this again and it consistently won't let me pick the positions to play from. I tried some other recordings, even the rough copy from convert LP's that I was previously able to edit in sound editor and those won't work either. So either I'm forgetting a step that I did in the past or this software is not very reliable? If anyone has any clues that would be awesome.

Edited by klismith

3 answers to this question

Having trouble using Sound Editor to edit a music file previously created from Convert LP's in EMC 10. I've successfully edited about 10 LP's recently. When I use "Add Audio File" and load the file for editing, the files appear in the clip and mix editors. I save the file as a project. I zoom on the file to find the end and beginning of tracks to insert/adjust the track separators or do further editing (fade out or insert silence). The problem I keep having is that the clip editor won't allow me to click on the file to pick the position I want to play. I need to be able to do this so that I can listen to that portion of the LP and pick the proper spot for the separators or editing features I mentioned. A couple times it did actually let me pick the positions to playback the music being edited, unfortunately just before I was almost complete, the whole program crashed and I had to start over. So now I keep trying to do this again and it consistently won't let me pick the positions to play from. I tried some other recordings, even the rough copy from convert LP's that I was previously able to edit in sound editor and those won't work either. So either I'm forgetting a step that I did in the past or this software is not very reliable? If anyone has any clues that would be awesome.

Like any program, it depends on system maintenance, new programs, computer setting changes, etc. One particularly bad item was that some registry cleaned reeked havoc with some versions of EMC. Sometimes things just happen (stray mesons?).

You can try repair from the Windows Add/Remove programs but the best bet (and probably the quickest in the end) is to do a full (uninstall)/Install (here). Follow the steps exactly; don't skip anything. Scroll down for Vista instruction. It should take about 15 minutes depending on your comfort factor.

I'm assuming that you don't have all 10 LP in the editor at one time and that this did work before. Yes, you should be able to click the spot you want the file to play and it will start playing there.

Remember, if you are saving the file, you are saving the adjustments you have made to the file(s). If you later want to burn individual files, you must export the tracks/clips.

Thank you SKNIS. Roxio Support also recommended the uninstall/install trick. That did get the Sound Editor working better. I still have a couple issues with the software.

1) I can't save the project as I work on it. Maybe that is intentional but I doubt it. If I don't complete the project and want to work on it later, what do I do? When I hit File/Save or "Ctrl-S", I get an error that says something like "an error has ocurred, Windows is looking for a solution to the problem" and EMC 10 shuts down. When I re-open the program, I'm back at square one on my project in Sound Editor. I was able to successfully complete one project by never hitting save and in the end I did an export of the files. That is probably OK except if I find any problems with my export I have nothing to go back to and edit other than the very original (raw) data.

2) I also was very disappointed with something else the program did. When I was almost complete, I went back to the very start and decided to remove 3-5 seconds of blank space before the 1st track. To my horror, this moved virtually every fade in/out to the left about 3-5 seconds, basically putting them into the song, not where I originally had them, between the tracks. It may have also moved the track separators some but not positive. That makes no sense to me. The lesson learned is to work left to right, get it right, and never return to work on anything to the left. That seems kind of stupid but I'll just have to make sure I have the adjustments like I want prior to progressing farther into the LP. And for goodness sakes, don't even dare consider saving the project or all will be lost.

My wife, observing my frustration with the software, keeps suggesting I switch to something else. She saw adds for Ion turntables that include software for recording and then editing vinyl LP's. Does anyone out there think there is another software that is worthy of trying? I love the editing features of EMC and can work with it efficiently, provided it didn't have these quirks that I keep running into. So maybe I should rephrase that to say, it is great software when it works, which it generally does not do.

Thank you SKNIS. Roxio Support also recommended the uninstall/install trick. That did get the Sound Editor working better. I still have a couple issues with the software.

1) I can't save the project as I work on it. Maybe that is intentional but I doubt it. If I don't complete the project and want to work on it later, what do I do? When I hit File/Save or "Ctrl-S", I get an error that says something like "an error has ocurred, Windows is looking for a solution to the problem" and EMC 10 shuts down. When I re-open the program, I'm back at square one on my project in Sound Editor. I was able to successfully complete one project by never hitting save and in the end I did an export of the files. That is probably OK except if I find any problems with my export I have nothing to go back to and edit other than the very original (raw) data.

2) I also was very disappointed with something else the program did. When I was almost complete, I went back to the very start and decided to remove 3-5 seconds of blank space before the 1st track. To my horror, this moved virtually every fade in/out to the left about 3-5 seconds, basically putting them into the song, not where I originally had them, between the tracks. It may have also moved the track separators some but not positive. That makes no sense to me. The lesson learned is to work left to right, get it right, and never return to work on anything to the left. That seems kind of stupid but I'll just have to make sure I have the adjustments like I want prior to progressing farther into the LP. And for goodness sakes, don't even dare consider saving the project or all will be lost.

My wife, observing my frustration with the software, keeps suggesting I switch to something else. She saw adds for Ion turntables that include software for recording and then editing vinyl LP's. Does anyone out there think there is another software that is worthy of trying? I love the editing features of EMC and can work with it efficiently, provided it didn't have these quirks that I keep running into. So maybe I should rephrase that to say, it is great software when it works, which it generally does not do.

Number 2: Yes, that is the way the application works :angry: , you must remove and blank spaces that you don't want first. This includes the beginning, the end and the place where you turn over the LP or tape.

Number 1: I'm not sure why you can't save a project. The project extension is "dmse". Search for them, they may be hiding. The default is a Sound Editor folder but you can change that. I just tried saving a file to three different locations and they all showed up where I put them. Of course that dmse file is not a audio file; it is simply the instruction of what music to use, where the track breaks are and where you have put your fades.

Sounds like you may be using Vista 32 or 64 bit? Are you saving to an internal or external disk? What sound card/chip do you have?

Edited by sknis