Digital Copy Protection Error

marknmelb

Question

21 answers to this question

Are you running a dvd-related program in the background, look good?

cd

I looked at the processes tab on Task Manager and didn't see any that looked like DVD routines. This also happens on Windows Media Player 11. I'm also using Windows XP Home with Service pack 3. I did find a few DVDs that do play after searching through my stack..

I did find a few DVDs that do play after searching through my stack..

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post with the drive model/name.

cd

To identify your drive in XP. Right click my computer and click properties. The system properties window opens, click the Hardware tab and then click device manager. The Device Manager Window opens, from the top view, make sure a dot is next to view devices by type. Click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives, post what it reads?

For the firmware version, right click the drive/s and click properties, click the details tab. It should show, example mine IDECDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1640_______________BSRB_____. The # where my BSRB is, is what we need you to post with the drive model/name.

cd

SONY DRU-540A 1.0B

It's an older CD/DVD unit

SONY DRU-540A 1.0B

No firmware update.....

Is it a stand alone cineplayer version or came bundled with Roxio Creator 2009? Do you have any other player software like Cyberlink Power DVD? Will that play the DVD's? You haven't downloaded a other DVD decoder pks?

cd

No firmware update.....

Is it a stand alone cineplayer version or came bundled with Roxio Creator 2009? Do you have any other player software like Cyberlink Power DVD? Will that play the DVD's? You haven't downloaded a other DVD decoder pks?

cd

It's bundled with Creator 2009. I also have Ulitmate Cucusoft for burning to my iPod. This is when I first got the digital copy errors. I also have Dazzle OnDVD and Pennicle Studio9.

Cineplayer worked before installing "Cucusoft for burning to my iPod"?

You could explain better in detail... :) I hate pulling teeth.....

cd

Excellent point. I should have done that sooner. To the best of my knowledge here is a basic timeline.

Originally I used to be able to watch DVDs with Windows Media Player. No problem. Then I needed to transfer some slides that my wife was scanning to DVD for her mom so I bought the studio 9 suite to do that. Then my folkfs wanted some VHS tapes converyed to dvd so along came the Dazzle OnDVD program. Both sets of DVDs were viewable with Windows Media Player. Finally I wanted to convert some of my DVDs to be able to play them on my iPod when I travel. I did burn a few of them but t hen the system started telling me that I couldn't play my DVDs due to a digital copy protection error. I thme tried to see if I could still play them on Windows Media but that also failed. I tried using a DVD viewer that was available with one of the DVDs I wanted to convert. I got the same message for that. the DVD trouble shooter suggested I download a DVD converter so I purchased Roxio Creator 2009 sine it looked like it would pretty much what I wanted to do. But I still get the same error message that the digital copy protection failed even when I just wanted to play them.

Hope this helps.

What is 'studio 9 suite' and who makes/sells it?

What is 'Dazzle OnDVD program' and who makes/sells it?

Finally I wanted to convert some of my DVDs to be able to play them on my iPod when I travel. I did burn a few of them but t hen the system started telling me that I couldn't play my DVDs due to a digital copy protection error. I thme tried to see if I could still play them on Windows Media but that also failed.

This sounds like it's all iTunes DRM...

I tried using a DVD viewer that was available with one of the DVDs I wanted to convert.

Did you let this DVD install a InterActual Player that came on the disc?

cd

What is 'studio 9 suite' and who makes/sells it?

Pennicle software. It's a video capture program that allows you to write to DVDs.

What is 'Dazzle OnDVD program' and who makes/sells it?

It's made by Dazzle - SCM Microsystems. It takes images and makes slide shows that can be burnt to disc.

This sounds like it's all iTunes DRM...

Did you let this DVD install a InterActual Player that came on the disc?

Yes - And I get this error when I try to play the DVD - "Error PL4009: A CSS Encryption error occurred while trying to play the DVD. Your detected decoder may not support playback of encrypted DVD content. Please make sure that your decoder fully supports playback of encrypted DVD content by contacting the manufacturer of your DVD playback software. "

cd

Edited by marknmelb

Thanks that helped. I found the following info on the InterActual player. Looks like they system is using an old Decoder.

Decoder Provider: CyberLink Corp.

Decoder Type: CyberLink Video/SP Filter

Decoder Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CLVSDS.ax

Decoder Version: 5.0.1316

Decoder Driver Date: January 16, 2004, 03:50 PM

Navigator Name: DirectShow

Navigator Version: 1

Is DVD Device Found: Yes

Looks like from an old Power DVD that may have been installed a whiel back. Looks like it didn't get cleaned up properly. How can I get the system to look at a new decoder ???

I also ran dvdupgrd /detect. It says a NeVideo.ax by Nero is my decoder. And no upgrade is available. Shouldn't my system use a decoder from Roxio Create 2009 ??

Edited by marknmelb

Thanks that helped. I found the following info on the InterActual player. Looks like they system is using an old Decoder.

Decoder Provider: CyberLink Corp.

Decoder Type: CyberLink Video/SP Filter

Decoder Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\CLVSDS.ax

Decoder Version: 5.0.1316

Decoder Driver Date: January 16, 2004, 03:50 PM

Navigator Name: DirectShow

Navigator Version: 1

Is DVD Device Found: Yes

Looks like from an old Power DVD that may have been installed a whiel back. Looks like it didn't get cleaned up properly. How can I get the system to look at a new decoder ???

I also ran dvdupgrd /detect. It says a NeVideo.ax by Nero is my decoder. And no upgrade is available. Shouldn't my system use a decoder from Roxio Create 2009 ??

You have a software, driver, decoder, conflict. You need to decide what you want or need and start cleaning your system up. I use one program to play a DVD, CyberLink Power DVD. You don't need half a dozen, and now you know why. I don't have your PC here to poke with a stick, so it would be very hard for me to advise on what needs to be done to fix it.

Unless someone else has any ideas, google searches might be your best bet, sorry.

cd

You have a software, driver, decoder, conflict. You need to decide what you want or need and start cleaning your system up. I use one program to play a DVD, CyberLink Power DVD. You don't need half a dozen, and now you know why. I don't have your PC here to poke with a stick, so it would be very hard for me to advise on what needs to be done to fix it.

Unless someone else has any ideas, google searches might be your best bet, sorry.

cd

I was thinking about doing just that. Uninstall EVERYTHING then reinstall what I need. I have also been considering Upgrading to Vista. Our laptops have it and they run just fine. Any thoghts there in relation to this issue ???

I'll post some results later to let ya know what I finally did to get things to work right.

Thanks for all your help.

I'd advise you very stronglt not to 'upgrade' XP to Vista - save all your data first to a pen drive and then do a clean re-format and install Vista from scratch

There are far too many cases of problems being carried over when Vista is installed over an existing OS

Well I did the clean uininstall/install of creator. I only reinstalled creator. I deleted all the other products and used the clean process on them also. When I finished the install I got the same error :(.

I ran the dvdupgrd /detect and got the following results.

DShow SW: ( Blank - no name )

Name: Cinemaster.dll (sp?) something along those lines.

I found in interesting that no DShow was listed. Is this correct ?? Also the dvdupgrd showed no available upgrade.

I did double check the DVD I am trying to use on my sons system and it plays just fine.

Ok I read the link. Some good info there. I downloaded the decoder checkup utility and it said to install the Cyberlink decoder. I did. Then ran it again. It said that the Cyberlink was the preferred decoder. But when I try to play the same DVD I get the same decoder error on both Windows Media player 11 and Cineplayer. I also ran the sherlock routine listed there and it does list some broken codecs audio and video. But these are no longer installed.