• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

phoveo

Toast 9.0.4 Crashes On Burn

Question

Here are some things to note when I try burn:

"Could not complete the command because of a MacOSX error. Reason code = -32030"

or

Interface error -32030

The connection is not stable

(the system will crash at this point and I get the screen telling me to restart the system)

I was able to burn on 1 attempt a cd from iTunes.

I've tried using different brands of media (Sony, Memorex, JVC) and different types (CD, DVD, DVD DL). No matter, it all fails.

I've tried re-installing Toast. I've also tried deleting the preferences file. Problem persists.

I suspect this latest version of Toast is not compatible with OSX 10.5.6.

I am bringing my system to Apple tomorrow for an unrelated issue. I did call Apple today about this issue and they suspect it may be hardware related (let's see if the Genius at the store agrees).

"Could not complete the command because of a MacOSX error. Reason code = -32030"

or

Interface error -32030

(the system will crash at this point and I get the screen telling me to restart the system)

I am getting exactly the same error message as you, and it seems to have started happening after I installed the latest update for 10.5.6. What make & model of DVD writer do you have? Mine is a Pioneer DVR-115D, installed in my G4 iMac as a replacement for the original superdrive which died a few months back.

I have tried deleting Toast and its preferences files, and then re-installing it, but that doesn't fix the problem. I can't burn direct from EyeTV recordings, or from disc images. The problem occurs with DVD-R (Verbatim) and DVD-RW (noname) media.

After having wrestled with this for some time I had assumed that the DVD writer was on the way out (which was annoying as I only swapped it a few months back). Then I discovered that I could burn a DVD disc image using Disc Utility - so the hardware begins to look OK after all. I haven't tried burning a CD from Toast, but will do so. Likewise burning a CD from iTunes. Once I've done that I shall consider submitting a fault report to Roxio.

The only upside to this at the moment is that I have worked out how to upgrade the DVD writer's firmware, using DVRFlash and bit of fiddling about in Windows to extract the firmware images. DVRFlash is a great utility, kudos to the author.

(I might buy another DVD writer anyway as they are so cheap. Or maybe I'll get an external one so I can burn directly on my MacBook. Well, it is Christmas...my babies deserve a present!)

Hi

Exactly the same things happen to me. I get the same error message (Interface error -32030. The connection is not stable), then system crashes.

It started happening after I installed the latest update Mac OS X Version 10.5.6 a few days ago. I can still burn CDs and DVDs using the disc utility in my Mac, so I am certain it is a software incompatibility probem between the system software and Toast 9.

I hope Apple and / or Roxio is able to get on top of it soon, because it is frustrating.

Dogwood

I've done some more testing. I can burn CDs OK on the Pioneer DVR-115D with iTunes. I can also burn CDs OK with Toast. I can burn DVDs OK via a burn folder and using Disk Utility. It really does look like a problem between Toast 9.0.4 and OS X 10.5.6.

I've tried re-installing 10.5.6 from the combo package rather than the delta that Software Update uses. The problem still occurs. Right now I am in the process of restoring the last system backup of 10.5.5 to see if Toast works OK with that (I knew Time Machine would come in useful some time). If it does then that will mean that it is definitively a Toast problem, not a hardware problem. Which will be a bit of a relief, because the G4 iMac is a bit fiddly to work on...

I've done some more testing. I can burn CDs OK on the Pioneer DVR-115D with iTunes. I can also burn CDs OK with Toast. I can burn DVDs OK via a burn folder and using Disk Utility. It really does look like a problem between Toast 9.0.4 and OS X 10.5.6.

I've tried re-installing 10.5.6 from the combo package rather than the delta that Software Update uses. The problem still occurs. Right now I am in the process of restoring the last system backup of 10.5.5 to see if Toast works OK with that (I knew Time Machine would come in useful some time). If it does then that will mean that it is definitively a Toast problem, not a hardware problem. Which will be a bit of a relief, because the G4 iMac is a bit fiddly to work on...

You are not alone, I am suffering the same problems since installing OSX 10.5.6. I guess it looks more like a Toast problem, as I've tried different types of media as well as re-loading Toast - NO LUCK! Will just have to sit back and await a reply/update from Roxio.I have also tried using toast 8 with no luck,same problem either crashes or error code 32030.

Edited by avlad 22

I have now restored my system with 10.5.5 and Toast 9.0.4 burns DVDs with no problem at all. It is therefore definitely a problem between 10.5.6 and Toast. I'm going to report this to Roxio now.

I have now restored my system with 10.5.5 and Toast 9.0.4 burns DVDs with no problem at all. It is therefore definitely a problem between 10.5.6 and Toast. I'm going to report this to Roxio now.

I just read the posts and I'm having the same issues. My system updated yesterday and since then everything Toast crashes, be it copying CDs or DVDs. Converting and burning files from .flac to a disc crashes my entire operating system. Burning in iTunes or via the Finder works just fine, though.

I'll call Roxio as well. If there's a solution until an update comes along I'll post it here.

I am getting exactly the same error message as you, and it seems to have started happening after I installed the latest update for 10.5.6. What make & model of DVD writer do you have? Mine is a Pioneer DVR-115D, installed in my G4 iMac as a replacement for the original superdrive which died a few months back.

I have tried deleting Toast and its preferences files, and then re-installing it, but that doesn't fix the problem. I can't burn direct from EyeTV recordings, or from disc images. The problem occurs with DVD-R (Verbatim) and DVD-RW (noname) media.

After having wrestled with this for some time I had assumed that the DVD writer was on the way out (which was annoying as I only swapped it a few months back). Then I discovered that I could burn a DVD disc image using Disc Utility - so the hardware begins to look OK after all. I haven't tried burning a CD from Toast, but will do so. Likewise burning a CD from iTunes. Once I've done that I shall consider submitting a fault report to Roxio.

The only upside to this at the moment is that I have worked out how to upgrade the DVD writer's firmware, using DVRFlash and bit of fiddling about in Windows to extract the firmware images. DVRFlash is a great utility, kudos to the author.

(I might buy another DVD writer anyway as they are so cheap. Or maybe I'll get an external one so I can burn directly on my MacBook. Well, it is Christmas...my babies deserve a present!)

Sorry for the late reply. My iMac is in for service now on a separate issue altogether (mic doesn't work) however the genius will test the optical drive (which is a Matsushita but I can't remember the exact model number... sorry!). If Apple confirms the drive is OK, or they may even replace it, and the problem persists, then I will assume my presumption is correct in that Toast's latest version is not compatible with OSX10.5.6.

I wonder if Toast will acknowledge that there is an issue and re-assure its customers that a fix is on the way?

For the time being I am NOT going to update my MBP to OSX10.5.6 (currently 10.5.5) because its all that I have left until the iMac returns from service. And its the only machine Toast seems to work on... for now!

P.S. All my same brand/type media burns OK with the MBP that wouldn't burn with the iMac, so the media is OK.

...I will assume my presumption is correct in that Toast's latest version is not compatible with OSX10.5.6.

I wonder if Toast will acknowledge that there is an issue and re-assure its customers that a fix is on the way?

I am 100% certain that TOast 9 has a problem with OS X 10.5.6. I have gone back to 10.5.5 and Toast is working fine with the same DVD writer and media as under 10.5.6 when it didn't work. I have reported this to Roxio, and linked the report to this thread. They better had fix it - or work with Apple to get it fixed - because at the moment "The Next-Generation of Disc Burning on the Mac" doesn't work on the "next generation" of the Mac operating system!

I am 100% certain that TOast 9 has a problem with OS X 10.5.6. I have gone back to 10.5.5 and Toast is working fine with the same DVD writer and media as under 10.5.6 when it didn't work. I have reported this to Roxio, and linked the report to this thread. They better had fix it - or work with Apple to get it fixed - because at the moment "The Next-Generation of Disc Burning on the Mac" doesn't work on the "next generation" of the Mac operating system!

It will be helpful to post what Mac you are using, if you are using the built-in drive or external drive and what settings in Toast you are using when it crashes. I have a G5 iMac and a 2007 MacBook Pro. I haven't had any problems burning discs to my Firewire drive using the iMac in 10.5.6 but maybe it was with a different setting than others in this thread are using. I haven't had need to burn discs with the iMac's internal drive nor with the MBP but I'll try to get around to testing those this week.

I have both a MacPro and a MacBook both are exhibiting problems with both Toast and SpinDoctor RE since installing 10.5.6. Toast will burn CD's but will crash on completion or if any other program runs with Toast in the background, The only solution is a force quit. The problems with SpinDoctor have been reported elsewhere but involves the display of the sound file. I tried reverting to the SpinDoctor bundled wit Toast 8 and that works fine but I didn't try Toast 8 itself.

Based on my experience and those reported by others it would seem almost certain that 10.5.6 is the problem. We can only hope that Roxio or Apple can find a solution soon.

I just read the posts and I'm having the same issues. My system updated yesterday and since then everything Toast crashes, be it copying CDs or DVDs. Converting and burning files from .flac to a disc crashes my entire operating system. Burning in iTunes or via the Finder works just fine, though.

I'll call Roxio as well. If there's a solution until an update comes along I'll post it here.

Still no word back from Roxio (it IS the holidays, after all) but after leaving things alone for a while I attempted to burn some CDs, this time without setting the disc speed (I just left it at best). While things are going slow it is NOT crashing the system or the program. I've yet to try burning a DVD with it but I think the program is communicating with the OS. (And just for the record I'm running Mac 10.5.6 on a 2.4 GHZ Intel Core MacBook.)

I too am having exact same problem. After three calls to Apple, and one visit to an Apple Authorized dealer, the error is clearly between OS X 10.5.6 and Toast 9.4.

or

Interface error -32030

I was able to burn on 1 attempt a cd from iTunes.

I've tried using different brands of media (Sony, Memorex, JVC) and different types (CD, DVD, DVD DL). No matter, it all fails.

I've tried re-installing Toast. I've also tried deleting the preferences file. Problem persists.

I suspect this latest version of Toast is not compatible with OSX 10.5.6.

I am bringing my system to Apple tomorrow for an unrelated issue. I did call Apple today about this issue and they suspect it may be hardware related (let's see if the Genius at the store agrees).

I too am having exact same problem. After three calls to Apple, and one visit to an Apple Authorized dealer, the error is clearly between OS X 10.5.6 and Toast 9.4.

Same problem for me (Toast 9.0.4 & OSX 10.5.6) though my error message is different:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR

Sense Code = 0x09, 0x02

FOCUS SERVO FAILURE

Burner works fine for apps other than Toast.

MBP 2.6 Core 2 Duo

Sorry for the late reply. My iMac is in for service now on a separate issue altogether (mic doesn't work) however the genius will test the optical drive (which is a Matsushita but I can't remember the exact model number... sorry!). If Apple confirms the drive is OK, or they may even replace it, and the problem persists, then I will assume my presumption is correct in that Toast's latest version is not compatible with OSX10.5.6.

For the time being I am NOT going to update my MBP to OSX10.5.6 (currently 10.5.5) because its all that I have left until the iMac returns from service. And its the only machine Toast seems to work on... for now!

P.S. All my same brand/type media burns OK with the MBP that wouldn't burn with the iMac, so the media is OK.

So I got my iMac back form Apple today. They decided to change the entire optical drive. The drive I have installed is a Matshita UJ-975. First disc I tried and...

Error!!!!!!!!

This is CLEARLY a Toast problem now. I hope that the company will provide a timely (its kinda late for that now) recitification. In the mean time. Toast is... toast! I'll use the OS interface for the time being.

Too bad. This is a disappointing experience. Apple, in my opinion, seem to have done as much as they can to fix it up if it needed fixing on their end.

Batter Up Roxio!!! Whatcha got?

P.S. Anyone know how to roll back the OS to 10.5.5??? Can it be done?

You are not alone, I am suffering the same problems since installing OSX 10.5.6. I guess it looks more like a Toast problem, as I've tried different types of media as well as re-loading Toast - NO LUCK! Will just have to sit back and await a reply/update from Roxio.I have also tried using toast 8 with no luck,same problem either crashes or error code 32030.

I have tried using my toast 8 too but still same problem error code 32030 comes up & haunts me trying to burn an audio disk, haven't tried a DVD yet

Please can everyone who is getting this problem with Toast 9 and OS X 10.5.6 log a fault with Roxio (via the "Contact Support" link on this page) so that they understand how many people are being affected. Hopefully this will encourage them get "The Next-Generation of Disc Burning On The Mac" working properly on the current generation of the Mac OS.

Please can everyone who is getting this problem with Toast 9 and OS X 10.5.6 log a fault with Roxio (via the "Contact Support" link on this page) so that they understand how many people are being affected. Hopefully this will encourage them get "The Next-Generation of Disc Burning On The Mac" working properly on the current generation of the Mac OS.

I've created a ticket and hope it will be addressed soon.

I've created a ticket and hope it will be addressed soon.

Ive created a ticket too

how did you retore your system back to 10.5.5

how did you retore your system back to 10.5.5

From the last Time Machine backup before the 10.5.6 upgrade was installed.

I'm hoping that the advent of Toast 10 won't mean that Toast 9 problems get shelved and we all get told to upgrade instead...

I'm hoping that the advent of Toast 10 won't mean that Toast 9 problems get shelved and we all get told to upgrade instead...

unfortunately i didnt do a time machine back up but definately will in the future

Hi! Ok I can do it, but,: do you think that can cause any problem to do the Time Machine thing?

Thanks!

Same issue here.

MacBook Pro 15" Late '08

10.5.5 works fine 10.5.6 don't.

Yes, but, do you know if is there a problem to roll back to 10.5.5, I mean in the future?

Thanks!

Hi! Ok I can do it, but,: do you think that can cause any problem to do the Time Machine thing?

Thanks!

I don't know. I went the safe route and did a full system restore to an empty disc. When I want to burn using Toast I restart the machine using the 10.5.5 boot disc. I use it only for burning from Toast (I have backups, syncing, e-mail polling etc turned off) and I go straight back to 10.5.6 which is my "live" system when I'm done burning. It's a bit of a PITA but it means that I'm less at risk of "polluting" the rest of my data.

I realise this may not be much use to you if you don't have a spare disc available to boot from.

Ok! Thank you very much! But I guess I'm going to use Burn for a while...

Bye!

i downloaded Appcleaner program & completely uninstalled my toast 9, put 8 back on & yay she worked again, so im on channel but with 8 which is better than no toast @ all :D