Won't Recognize Blank Cds

scottdeb_99

Question

I created about 10 or so music cds with my desktop with roxio 10. I started getting an intermittent problem with the program and the computer not recognizing a blank cd and only blank cds. The problem is continuous now. I started burning some on my laptop using version 9 and after burning 6 cds it now has the same problem. I saw the report in microsoft support 316529 and tried that, but it did not work. Any ideas? Please.

11 answers to this question

I created about 10 or so music cds with my desktop with roxio 10. I started getting an intermittent problem with the program and the computer not recognizing a blank cd and only blank cds. The problem is continuous now. I started burning some on my laptop using version 9 and after burning 6 cds it now has the same problem. I saw the report in microsoft support 316529 and tried that, but it did not work. Any ideas? Please.

Try downloading, and running the Px Engine, here:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=45357

After installing, reboot, and see if it recognizes CDs.

Try uninstalling your Secondary Ide Channel, in Device Manager, reboot, and see if all is ok.

If it isn't, then your burner may being going south on you.

My desktop doesn't have a secondary ide channel, but my laptop does and that did not work. I would be a little suspicious about my burner going bad since my laptop is doing the same thing. Thanks, scott.

I saw the post, then it was gone.

I also saw that you have an ATAPI drive. Is it connected to your Primary IDE Channel? Is your hard drive a SATA drive, or is the burner slaved to your hard drive?

Offer as much information as you can. Getting information is beginning to be like pulling teeth.

I'm sorry I know enough about this to be dangerous. It takes me a moment to figure out your question, so I will do the best i can.

I have an HP media center 3.0 ghz intel pentium running windows xp

My Primary IDE Channel is a IDE ATA/ATAPI

I believe my hard drive is an ATA

I have two cd slots, one is just a reader and neither one can read a blank cd. the first is an HP DVD Writer 840b and the second is an TSST corp DVD-ROM TS-H352C.

Again, thank You for your help and being patient with me, Scott

Below is a pic of a primary and secondary IDE channel in device manager, what GPB wants you to do is right click the secondary IDE Channel and then click uninstall. Wait a minute for it to finish close everything out then restart the pc. When it restarts it will recognize the secondary IDE Channel as new hardware and reinstall it, your two CD/DVD Drives are connected to it. If anything looks different in your device manager come back and tell us so before uninstalling anything.

post-97-1229990838.png

cd

Below is a pic of a primary and secondary IDE channel in device manager, what GPB wants you to do is right click the secondary IDE Channel and then click uninstall. Wait a minute for it to finish close everything out then restart the pc. When it restarts it will recognize the secondary IDE Channel as new hardware and reinstall it, your two CD/DVD Drives are connected to it. If anything looks different in your device manager come back and tell us so before uninstalling anything.

post-97-1229990838.png

cd

I did this on my laptop because it has a secondary ide channel. It still won't recognice blank cds in my laptop. My desktop doesn't have a secondary so I don't know where to go from there. Thank You, Scott