• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 7 Questions on Recording

tvboy062

Question

Please take pity! I'm a PC guy trying to help out an elderly friend. He's a Mac guy.....bought Toast 7 and an imic..so that he could record his tapes and LP's to turn into CD's etc.

We are using FinalVinyl to record....and then importing into Itunes to burn CD's.........am still not sure how Toast can help us?

For instance....he would like to digitize, using Final Vinyl one whole side of a cassette tape...and then take that aiff file and cut it into individual tracks....rather than record one track at a time.

Can Toast 7 help with this? Can toast 7 help with the record instead of final vinyl?

any tips or direction would be much appreciated. Thank you

Jeremy

3 answers to this question

Please take pity! I'm a PC guy trying to help out an elderly friend. He's a Mac guy.....bought Toast 7 and an imic..so that he could record his tapes and LP's to turn into CD's etc.

We are using FinalVinyl to record....and then importing into Itunes to burn CD's.........am still not sure how Toast can help us?

For instance....he would like to digitize, using Final Vinyl one whole side of a cassette tape...and then take that aiff file and cut it into individual tracks....rather than record one track at a time.

Can Toast 7 help with this? Can toast 7 help with the record instead of final vinyl?

any tips or direction would be much appreciated. Thank you

Jeremy

Toast is bundled with the application CD Spin Doctor that is far superior to Final Vinyl. It is in the Additional Software folder inside the Toast folder. The manual is in its Help Menu. If your friend insists on capturing the audio with Final Vinyl, the captured files still can be opened in Spin Doctor for noise filtering, track separation and track export to Toast or iTunes.

OK, to burn CDs that sound better then the original album do this. Record one side of the record in CD Spin Doctor and then hit Pause, not Stop. Turn over the record and hit Record again. At the end of Side 2 hit Stop. You now have the complete album on one single file.

Next let ClickRepair strut its stuff on the file. You'll end up with a new file, your original remains unchanged. Read ClickRepair's homepage for more info. It really works!

If you're happy with the result edit tracks in Spin Doctor and do additional filtering if you think that it is still needed. When done send the whole shebang directly to iTunes or, if you want a CD or compress to FLAC, send to Toast for burning straight from Spin Doctor. Done!

BTW ClickRepair is platform independent and can be found here:

http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/

tsantee and hermie54: Thank you very much for taking the time to share. I am on a mission now! I'll report back in in a couple of days to let you know how we make out. Thanks again for the great tips. Folks like you make the internet the miracle it is. My compliments. Jeremy

Archived