• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 10 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Soundstream Crashes On Mp3 From Amazon

j44djf

I've never had any problems with my Platinum Creator 5 (upgraded to 5.3.5 in 2003), until I recently paid for and downloaded several MP3 tracks from Amazon.co.uk. One MP3 file (only) causes Soundstream to crash when I try to play it, or convert to WAV or WMA.

Windows Media Player has no problems with this file.

How can I check whether the MP3 file is corrupt in some way, and if it isn't how do I get Soundstream fixed?

PS When I tried to register my product recently, this site rejects my CD-Key as invalid.

I guess no-one wants to know about Creator 5 anymore?

DRM - Digital Rights Management!?

The whole point of my downloading a selection of tracks was to create a personalised CD for my wife for Christmas. To add insult to injury I have also purchased - as actual CD Media - the entire Album (The Essential Pavarotti) from which the errant MP3 download was but one track.

So, I've paid twice for the same thing - and one of them doesn't work. I'm asking Amazon to refund my payment for the track. (It's listed in my orders as eligible for return!!).

I've had trouble with CDs which don't play in my car CD player, mainly CDs from Blue Note - which are still available in the shops. Outrageous.

Thanks for the tip.

I just went to Amazons site and those mp3's appear to be DRM free,at least that's what a page said.

If you look at the Terms of Use it says you are entitled to copy or burn as long as it's for personal use.

Could be that track was corrupted during download.

Another thing to try would be to try and burn it using Windows Media Player and see what happens.

I just went to Amazons site and those mp3's appear to be DRM free,at least that's what a page said.

If you look at the Terms of Use it says you are entitled to copy or burn as long as it's for personal use.

Could be that track was corrupted during download.

Another thing to try would be to try and burn it using Windows Media Player and see what happens.

I didn't think the MP3 format supported DRM, which is why all of the DRM-free files are MP3s, and all the DRM-infected files are WMA or AAC or some other format than MP3. Maybe I'm wrong, and would gladly be corrected.

Edited by d_deweywright
fixed typo

I'm trying to remember Dave but I'm almost positive that I've purchased DRM protected mp3's from Tower Records.I'm old though so my memory could be faulty...lol

After researching this I found this:

"DRM is an umbrella term for technologies that let copyright holders control how digital content is used. Virtually all DRM systems require a file format that can store licensing information along with audio/video content—which excludes MP3 and DivX, the two mainstays of unauthorized file-sharing networks."

Although I found an article from 2004 saying Thompson electronics was working on a new incarnation of mp3 that would allow DRM Mp3's.Don't know if that ever came out.

Edited by tbrewst

An update on my original post:

Having bought the whole album as physical media, I put it to Amazon that they should refund me for the individual mp3 track I was having problems with - and to my great surprise they did!

So well done Amazon (europe) for some common sense.

Thanks to all who have replied.

They're not too bad over refunds here - but it is EU policy to allow a reasonable time for returms

It's just possible btw that the file that wouldn't work was corrupt in some way - I've seen it happen (file plays fine but just won't burn to CD as CDA