• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 68 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

alangcox

Folder Order on a Data Disc

Question

Using a Mac (OS 10.4.6) and Toast 7 Titanium, I have made a Mac/PC hybrid CD of a Folder containing Folders and .html files. When I view it on a Mac, the Files and Folders appear in the order in the original Folder - which is what I want. However, when viewed on a Windows PC, the order has changed to Folders first (in alphabetical order) and then the .html Files. Is this to be expected? And, if so is there any way of making at least one of the Files appear on the top before all the other Folders and Files? The aim is a web site on a CD and I want the index.html file first.

Alternatively, is there a trick for putting something in the holding Folder but outside the web site Folder which people can use to get to the index.html page? (The holding Foder has separate material in it).

Alan Cox

Edited by alangcox

8 answers to this question

Using a Mac (OS 10.4.6) and Toast 7 Titanium, I have made a Mac/PC hybrid CD of a Folder containing Folders and .html files. When I view it on a Mac, the Files and Folders appear in the order in the original Folder - which is what I want. However, when viewed on a Windows PC, the order has changed to Folders first (in alphabetical order) and then the .html Files. Is this to be expected? And, if so is there any way of making at least one of the Files appear on the top before all the other Folders and Files? The aim is a web site on a CD and I want the index.html file first.

Alternatively, is there a trick for putting something in the holding Folder but outside the web site Folder which people can use to get to the index.html page? (The holding Foder has separate material in it).

Alan Cox

If you only need the user to see the index file can, can you not hide the other files and folders?

Short answer - Windows is dumb.

Windows explorer settings dictate what order files show in, not information on the CD itself. This is another reason why you like your Mac more then Windows.

If you only need the user to see the index file can, can you not hide the other files and folders?

If I knew how, I would! Any guidance would be very much appreciated because i have tried a number of 'tricks' and none of them have worked so far.

Alan Cox

Short answer - Windows is dumb.

Windows explorer settings dictate what order files show in, not information on the CD itself. This is another reason why you like your Mac more then Windows.

I enjoyed that answer and will post it in my local Mac Users Group Discussion forum, if that's OK. I take it that I'm stuck with the problem?

Alan Cox

If I knew how, I would! Any guidance would be very much appreciated because i have tried a number of 'tricks' and none of them have worked so far.

Alan Cox

I enjoyed that answer and will post it in my local Mac Users Group Discussion forum, if that's OK. I take it that I'm stuck with the problem?

Alan Cox

Put the index file into the data tab window with the mac and pc mode selected. Next to it on the right is a mac and pc tick boc area.

Anything you want the pc and mac to both see on screen you select both, but uncheck the ones you don't want the user to see. I think I am right in saying that the files will be saved on the disk just that they are hidden.

How the html coding will have to be written is a different matter.

Put the index file into the data tab window with the mac and pc mode selected. Next to it on the right is a mac and pc tick boc area.

Anything you want the pc and mac to both see on screen you select both, but uncheck the ones you don't want the user to see. I think I am right in saying that the files will be saved on the disk just that they are hidden.

How the html coding will have to be written is a different matter.

Well worth a try to see if all the data are burned (?burnt) but invisible. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Alan Cox

Well worth a try to see if all the data are burned (?burnt) but invisible. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Alan Cox

Many thanks easternherpe - it worked! I made a hybrid data disc having put the folder of the web site onto the 'data area' and unchecked all the files and folders in both the Mac and PC columns EXCEPT the index.html one. I ended up with a disc with one icon only: the index.html one. It looked a bit forlorn but I clicked it and was instantly into the opening page of the site and thence to the whole of the web site. Wonderful. I'll have to get it checked on a PC but I imagine it will work (ever optimistic).

I don't know about the 'code' - I use Freeway Express which is just great for this old dodderer who couldn't learn code for a trillion dollars - or euros.

Thanks again - always learning.

Alan Cox

Swanage, UK

I just tried the disc again dragging the index.html icon onto my icon of Internet Explorer - Mac version (which I use only to 'preview' my site edited in Freeway Express). It worked there too - ie. I got into the whole website.

Alan Cox :-)))

Many thanks easternherpe - it worked! I made a hybrid data disc having put the folder of the web site onto the 'data area' and unchecked all the files and folders in both the Mac and PC columns EXCEPT the index.html one. I ended up with a disc with one icon only: the index.html one. It looked a bit forlorn but I clicked it and was instantly into the opening page of the site and thence to the whole of the web site. Wonderful. I'll have to get it checked on a PC but I imagine it will work (ever optimistic).

I don't know about the 'code' - I use Freeway Express which is just great for this old dodderer who couldn't learn code for a trillion dollars - or euros.

Thanks again - always learning.

Alan Cox

Swanage, UK

I just tried the disc again dragging the index.html icon onto my icon of Internet Explorer - Mac version (which I use only to 'preview' my site edited in Freeway Express). It worked there too - ie. I got into the whole website.

Alan Cox :-)))

I was too optimistic. The CD which worked a treat on my Mac (the 'index.html' icon opening the way to the whole website on the CD) did no such thing on a Windows PC where it just opened the text on that page and nothing else - no links, banners, menu, no nothing. So may I restate my problem?

I have a problem with making a CD archive of aspects of my family including biographies, transcripts of newspaper articles and photo albums in abundance. The biographies and photos are in the form of a website made using Freeway Express and the Site Folder this creates is easy to burn to a CD (along with the transcripts which I store in a separate Folder). Thus the CD contains a Folder containing a Website folder and a Transcripts folder. The website folder can be opened and the index.html File found amidst all the other Files and Folders. What I would really like is a separate icon on the main Folder which, when clicked, would open directly the index.html page of the website and hence act as an easy ‘doorway’ to the contents of the website both on a Mac and a PC. I have tried all sorts of tricks but remain defeated. HELP!

Alan Cox

What I would really like is a separate icon on the main Folder which, when clicked, would open directly the index.html page of the website and hence act as an easy ‘doorway’ to the contents of the website both on a Mac and a PC. I have tried all sorts of tricks but remain defeated. HELP!

Make a new webpage (.html) which contains an immediate redirect to the real index.html page. Use a meta redirect or refresh statement in the header.

Here's a web page explaining how:

http://webdesign.about.com/od/metataglibra...a/aa080300a.htm