• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Camcorders

Ramcam

Question

6 answers to this question

Looking for a good 16x9 camcorder that will work well with Roxio and my pc stats.Doen't have to be 1080 p something that my comp will be able to handle appreciate any suggestions.

That's a pretty slow CPU so it probably will not handle HD at all. Get one in your budget range and one that fits your hands.

Google for some suggestions:

cnet. Try this tool.

Camcorder Reviews

Every one will have different opinions. I've seen people trash JVC and others praise them. I've seen people suggest that Sony doesn't live by the standards so they sometimes give problems.

If you can afford one, you might consider buying a Hi Def camcorder that will record either SD or HD. You'll be replacing that computer in the future and it would be nice to be able to do HD without buying a new camcorder. Look at Canon's HV 20 or 30. I have the HV 30.

Edited by sknis

Whatever, don't buy into the AVCHD hype. The files are difficult to edit. The JVC and Panasonic hard drive models really aren't that bad if you know what to do. Their 16:9 files (.mod extension) don't follow standards so you need a freeware app (SDCopy) to fix the files. I found SDCopy very easy to use and it does work very well.

I have the Canon HV20 and love it.

There are good and bad for each. I find tape models more convenient especially if you shoot a lot of video. When the tape gets full, just pop in another one. With hard drive models when the drive is full, you have no choice but to stop and transfer some of the video or delete some. At least some memory card models will allow you to swap out cards and keep shooting. However, most memory card models use AVCHD which has been causing grief to edit in many applications. With hard drive models, there is a mix of MPEG 2 & AVCHD standard definition or Hidef MPEG 2 & AVCHD.

With tape models, transferring video is 1 to 1 time. Meaning one hour video takes one hour to transfer. Hard drive and memory card models transfer faster because your just copying files from the camcorder to the PC.

I haven't looked at 720P only camcorder except a few really cheap ones. They all used AVCHD or some off-the-wall MP4 format. Most software wouldn't edit the files at all. Some read the files, but previewed the video with no audio. I decided these cheaper camcorders weren't worth the hassle. If you could find a 720 camcorder that shoots in MPEG 2, I recommend buying it. :)