Capture From Vcr

tinocallis

Question

I'm trying to convert old VHS tapes to DVD using the video capture USB. I believe I have everything set up correctly, after following all instructions in this thread. My problem is this: the Roxio Media Import will only recognize video played via the DVD player, and not the VCR, which is what I want. I can capture DVDs just fine, but seem to have no way of capturing VHS from the VCR. Is there some option I should select in the Media Import that will set the input to VCR instead of DVD?

If it is any help, right now the Media Import window looks like this.

(Sorry if this issue has already been addressed; I looked through all pages and couldn't find it.)

Thanks for any help!

After a little more sleuthing, I've reached the conclusion that I think I need a video capture card. I guess to other people that would be obvious but personally I would have appreciated knowing that before setting this all up... So what kind of card should I be looking for, and how much does it cost? I'm using an IBM ThinkPad Z61t, running XP.

10 answers to this question

From the screen shot, looks like you have an equipment that plays both DVD and VCR. Do you need to flip a switch in that device so that the input is coming from VCR? Also, if that is done, does the Capture Now button becomes enabled if you press Play in your device?

Thanks for the quick reply. I forgot to note in my first post that I have the VHS running on my TV screen, no problem. So VCR is selected (as opposed to DVD) on the player, and the picture is showing, with sound, on my TV--just not in the Roxio program. Capture Now is not enabled when the video is playing on my TV :(.

I'm using the S-video cable and the red and white audio cables. The S-video cable is connected from the USB device to the S-video out on the back of the player. The red/white audio cables are connected from the USB device to the audio line in on the back of the player.

I don't think the setup is the problem, since I can play a DVD in the same player and capture it using this program. It's just that I can't do the same thing with a VHS tape in this player. What do you think is missing?

I'm using the S-video cable and the red and white audio cables. The S-video cable is connected from the USB device to the S-video out on the back of the player. The red/white audio cables are connected from the USB device to the audio line in on the back of the player.

I don't think the setup is the problem, since I can play a DVD in the same player and capture it using this program. It's just that I can't do the same thing with a VHS tape in this player. What do you think is missing?

The audio cables should be connected to the audio OUT, on the VCR.

Ahh, okay. Thank you. I was way too quick to assume the setup was correct--shows how much I know!!

So now I have sound coming through the Media Import, but no video. The yellow video cable is connected from the USB device to video OUT on the back of the player. However, I also have the S-video cable connected from the USB device to S-video OUT on the back of the player, and when I remove it, the "No signal" message is displayed in Media Import. I thought it was one or the other, S-video cable or composite? Nothing happens when I remove the yellow video cable altogether. Any thoughts on how to get the video signal?

If you are using S-video cable, unplug the yellow cable connection, and make sure the S-video option is selected in the dropdown box of the Media Import. If you want to use the RCA yellow video cable, unplug the S-video cable connection and make sure you choose the other option (other than S-video) in the dropdown box of Media Import.

Ahh, okay. Thank you. I was way too quick to assume the setup was correct--shows how much I know!!

So now I have sound coming through the Media Import, but no video. The yellow video cable is connected from the USB device to video OUT on the back of the player. However, I also have the S-video cable connected from the USB device to S-video OUT on the back of the player, and when I remove it, the "No signal" message is displayed in Media Import. I thought it was one or the other, S-video cable or composite? Nothing happens when I remove the yellow video cable altogether. Any thoughts on how to get the video signal?

I know that you are connected via an S-video cable, but what are the other options, in the dropdown box, for input, on the capture screen? Try one of the other options, and see if you get any picture.

Also, prior to capturing, make a folder, for the captured video, somewhere on you computer, outside of documents and settings. Then, at the bottom of the capture screen, click on the Save to dropdown box, and browse to that folder. Then, change the file name, from the date you have shown, to some name that has something to do with the video.

Ha, wow, I feel like an idiot. See, I knew it would be a simple solution! All I had to do was change the input to Composite. I guess I assumed that since I was using the S-video cable it should be S-video input, but switching to Composite makes everything work perfectly.

@grandpabruce: I did make a folder and renamed the file ahead of time, because I love to be organized ;).

Thanks so much for all your help. It was greatly appreciated!

Ha, wow, I feel like an idiot. See, I knew it would be a simple solution! All I had to do was change the input to Composite. I guess I assumed that since I was using the S-video cable it should be S-video input, but switching to Composite makes everything work perfectly.

@grandpabruce: I did make a folder and renamed the file ahead of time, because I love to be organized ;).

Thanks so much for all your help. It was greatly appreciated!

You're welcome. I had a similar problem, when I had my Hauppauge capture card, in my computer. I had to use Composite 2 to capture. It doesn't make sense, but all of this is magic, anyway. :)