• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Memory Use and File Sizes

austroamericandad

Question

Hi - I just purchased the full suite a few days ago and while playing around with a lot of the offered features (and of course reading the postings here) I have a question regarding memory and file sizes:

Roxio requires 256MB RAM by specification - well, I have that, but appearantly this is not enough as my hard disk keeps working with every mouse click (or even move). How much RAM should I upgrade - just add another 256 or go for the large chips with 1GB?

The other question is if any of you has experiences with file sizes when editing in VideoWave ... would it be an advantage to chapture a DV tape in smaller chunks than as one MPEG file with about 4GB of size?

Do smaller mpeg files (or scenes) improve the editing performance (in terms of speed - setting markers e.g.)?

Any suggestions what do try and how much memory I should buy would be nice ...

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi - I just purchased the full suite a few days ago and while playing around with a lot of the offered features (and of course reading the postings here) I have a question regarding memory and file sizes:

Roxio requires 256MB RAM by specification - well, I have that, but appearantly this is not enough as my hard disk keeps working with every mouse click (or even move). How much RAM should I upgrade - just add another 256 or go for the large chips with 1GB?

The other question is if any of you has experiences with file sizes when editing in VideoWave ... would it be an advantage to chapture a DV tape in smaller chunks than as one MPEG file with about 4GB of size?

Do smaller mpeg files (or scenes) improve the editing performance (in terms of speed - setting markers e.g.)?

Any suggestions what do try and how much memory I should buy would be nice ...

Thanks!

I would recommend 1 GB total memory if your budget allows. I have 512 MB and it works OK, but 1 GB would be better (someday I will get around to adding more :) ). Even though 256 is the minimum specification, that amount can cause issues, as you have discovered.

The other thing that will affect performance is processor speed. You did not mention your processor speed, but I believe the minimum is 1.6 GHz for video work. While a processor at that speed will work, it will be painfully slow as compared to a 3.0 GHz processor, especially when it comes time to render a project.

Finally, if you have the capabilities and the hard drive space, I would suggest capturing video in DV AVI format. You will find that video in that format will be much quicker to respond to editing tasks than MPEG files. If you have to capture in MPEG (as I do), smaller chunks are better and will allow easier editing than large files. I try to limit capturing MPEG files to about 20 minutes maximum per clip. That is about 1.5 Gigs (at best MPEG2 quality) and even that can get slow at times.

Hope some of that helps.

I would recommend 1 GB total memory if your budget allows. I have 512 MB and it works OK, but 1 GB would be better (someday I will get around to adding more :) ). Even though 256 is the minimum specification, that amount can cause issues, as you have discovered.

The other thing that will affect performance is processor speed. You did not mention your processor speed, but I believe the minimum is 1.6 GHz for video work. While a processor at that speed will work, it will be painfully slow as compared to a 3.0 GHz processor, especially when it comes time to render a project.

Finally, if you have the capabilities and the hard drive space, I would suggest capturing video in DV AVI format. You will find that video in that format will be much quicker to respond to editing tasks than MPEG files. If you have to capture in MPEG (as I do), smaller chunks are better and will allow easier editing than large files. I try to limit capturing MPEG files to about 20 minutes maximum per clip. That is about 1.5 Gigs (at best MPEG2 quality) and even that can get slow at times.

Hope some of that helps.

Thanks for this quick response and it answers most of my questions (in particular the answer of someone working with 512 MB and somehow looking for more ...)

Yes, I'm also with the processor on the bottom limit - but laptop processors were still quite expensive a year ago - on the long run I would have ended up better purchasing a separate desktop for the video stuff.

However, as I wont spend all weekends with video editing, I can live with a slower performance for rendering (which I already figured out) - there are things you can do in between - I just would like to have a better performance during editing.

Finally I also did some tests on DV AVI capture sizes, but I would have to go for an additional external harddrive to work with my material (usually something around 3 hours of footage ...)

So thanks again - and I will go shopping for some RAM first ...

Thanks for this quick response and it answers most of my questions (in particular the answer of someone working with 512 MB and somehow looking for more ...)

Yes, I'm also with the processor on the bottom limit - but laptop processors were still quite expensive a year ago - on the long run I would have ended up better purchasing a separate desktop for the video stuff.

However, as I wont spend all weekends with video editing, I can live with a slower performance for rendering (which I already figured out) - there are things you can do in between - I just would like to have a better performance during editing.

Finally I also did some tests on DV AVI capture sizes, but I would have to go for an additional external harddrive to work with my material (usually something around 3 hours of footage ...)

So thanks again - and I will go shopping for some RAM first ...

Your welcome. I think additional memory will help and you should see some obvious improvement in performance.

Archived