• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 19 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Playback And Mpg Playback Doesn't Work

SkipperJohn

Question

I hope this question has not been asked and answered already. If so, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I recently bought and installed Video Lab 10 to install on my GF's maching (a Dell Dimension 3000 running wondows XP (2002) sp3). The install went well, then asked to reinstall using later software. That too went well and the product seems to work so far, but the windows media player no longer plays DVDs nor does it play any MPG files on the hard drive. There may be more things not working but this is as far as we got so far.

Is this a known issue?

Is there a work-around or patch for this?

6 answers to this question

The version I installed was not the most current (bought it at staples). So basically I did an install then an upgrade back to back.

None of the drivers or dll's are shared or are upgraded? Another program not working is Wondows Movie Maker.

I considered doing the XP restore but that would also undo a fair amount of work and other stuff.

The version I installed was not the most current (bought it at staples). So basically I did an install then an upgrade back to back.

None of the drivers or dll's are shared or are upgraded? Another program not working is Wondows Movie Maker.

I considered doing the XP restore but that would also undo a fair amount of work and other stuff.

Ok, you really don't have any idea what you had or what you did… :lol:

You mention Roxio Video Lab 10, there is only one version so I don't have a clue what did after that.

Roxio programs don't have any effect on Media Player or Movie Maker…

I don't know when your last restore point was set, but if that doesn't work, sounds like Format C:\ would be next.

Ok, you really don't have any idea what you had or what you did… :lol:

You mention Roxio Video Lab 10, there is only one version so I don't have a clue what did after that.

Roxio programs don't have any effect on Media Player or Movie Maker…

I don't know when your last restore point was set, but if that doesn't work, sounds like Format C:\ would be next.

Format my c-drive? Are you for real?

And I know EXACTLY what I have and had. I bought Roxio Video Lab 10 from Staples. After the initial install when I launched the program it asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version. I let it upgrade. (so you are wrong again my friend, there must be at least 2 versions)

Look, I've been working on computers professionally since 1972. Mostly mainframes and more currently .net applications. Yeah, I don't know much about this video stuff, but I do know I am looking for an easy way to identify the problem from someone who knows something about this stuff and doesn't advise someone he thinks is uninformed to format his hard-drive. I don't want to spend hours of my time tracking down and fixing a problem that someone else may know something about.

Are there any Roxio support people here who can help?

Edited by SkipperJohn

And I know EXACTLY what I have and had. I bought Roxio Video Lab 10 from Staples. After the initial install when I launched the program it asked if I wanted to upgrade to the latest version. I let it upgrade. (so you are wrong again my friend, there must be at least 2 versions)

Look, I've been working on computers professionally since 1972. Mostly mainframes and more currently .net applications. Yeah, I don't know much about this video stuff, but I do know I am looking for an easy way to identify the problem from someone who knows something about this stuff and doesn't advise someone he thinks is uninformed to format his hard-drive. I don't want to spend hours of my time tracking down and fixing a problem that someone else may know something about.

There is only 1 version of Video Lab 10 listed in Roxio's lineup, here:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/store/video.html

Could it have been an update that your were asked if you wanted to download and install?

This is just a users forum. I haven't seen any Roxio people drop in here in the past month.

Try uninstalling Video Lab 10 and checking to see if WMP works again. If so, turn off an antivirus program you have running, and install VL 10 again.

thanks, I'll give that a shot.