• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Avchd - No Video Or Audio

56_kruiser

Question

I am considering purchase of Roxio Creator, because I now have a camera that does 720P. My old software only burns to lower res videos.

I gave pics and vids from a recent vacation to a friend that has this software to burn for me, in order to test and see if the vids on the large screen really are much different. He gave me the native AVI video ( I think he said DIVX) he created on a DVD, and also burned one to DVD (not Blue Ray) with menus to AVCHD. The one with menus on DVD displays a black screen and no audio. I even copied the fiels to a file hard drive, and doesn't play.

Is this not possible with this software?

14 answers to this question

The one with menus on DVD displays a black screen and no audio. I even copied the fiels to a file hard drive, and doesn't play.
Were they HD DivX? How were you playing the discs back? MyDVD creates an AVCHD on Standard DVD using a Blueray format so the disc will play back only on a Blueray player or a computer with software that reads that format. Edited by ggrussell

Hi

I am the original poster, replying under a different ID. I had to try to re-establish my password, but the passwords that they send me after I go through that process do not work, so I had to create a new ID just to reply here. (I seem to not be too successful with Roxio...even the Forum <_< ...and I am not new to forums).

Were they HD DivX? How were you playing the discs back?

Yes, they were created in HD Divx. I am attempting to play them back with Arcsoft's Total Media Theater, which plays Blue Ray DVDs fine. The file structures are the same as I see on the Blue Ray Disks.

I asked him to play them, and he too says it is not playing, even with the Cineplayer(not sure that is the right name for it). He said they do play in the preview in the software. (He doesn't typically do HD stuff at the moment, so says he has no experience with that particular method, but expects it to work fine, just selecting the different format when creating).

Unfortunately there is not a trial version, so I can't mess with this myself, and don't want to spend the $ on it if it doesn't do what I want.

Thanks for all yoru help and thoughts.

Edited by 2nd Attempt

I have Creator 2009 Ultimate which includes the Blue-ray plugin. I have created several AVCHD on standard DVD adn they played back fine on Cineplayer V5 which is also included in C2009.

These discs are NOT recognized in WinXP!! You need a special driver. However Vista is Bluray ready and reads the discs just fine.

I have Creator 2009 Ultimate which includes the Blue-ray plugin. I have created several AVCHD on standard DVD adn they played back fine on Cineplayer V5 which is also included in C2009.

These discs are NOT recognized in WinXP!! You need a special driver. However Vista is Bluray ready and reads the discs just fine.

I finally am able to login as my original ID. Interestingly, my original password worked, and the 'new' one they sent me when I tried to change it never did, even after 3 attempts.

Anyway...

It is encouraging to see that some are doing this.

With regard to my setup, I also am on Vista. I can play Blue Ray movies fine. I just can't play it when exported from the Roxio that my friend gave me.

He said that he selected the following settings:

Purpose - High Definition

Video File Quality - AVCHD 720p or a DIVX HD format (doesn't remember which)

Then when he created the DVD, he did the authoring and when he selected the burn option, he selected AVCHD Project on Standard DVDS.

I presume he would need to use AVCHD for Video File Quality in order to burn it to AVCHD on standard DVD. I'll provided him with some DVDs, and see if he can kick idt off and walk away for a while.

Does anyone has any further comments on the combination that should be used?

What are yo using to play the disc back on Vista? I don't know if Windows Media Player 11 can do that or not. I was using Cineplayer 5 which is included in Creator 2009 on Vista.

I am using Total Media Theater by Arcsoft, which does play Blue Rays fine. As I haven't purchased the product yet, I don't have Cineplayer. But he has since tried to play it with that, and he has the same results I do.

I'm kinda thinking maybe he has a wrong combination of file type or somethign, but not sure.

I started with HDV (.m2t) files from my Canon HV20. Edit that in Videowave, few transitions, etc. Nothing to complex. Saved that as Videowave Production file (..dmsm). I then created a MyDVD AVCHD on Standard DVD with menu project. Edited the menu a bit and added my Videowave .dmsm file. That creates the button. I let MyDVD do all the conversion to AVCHD.

Edited by ggrussell

I started with HDV (.m2t) files from my Canon HV20. Edit that in Videowave, few transitions, etc. Nothing to complex. Saved that as Videowave Production file (..dmsm). I then created a MyDVD AVCHD on Standard DVD with menu project. Edited the menu a bit and added my Videowave .dmsm file. That creates the button. I let MyDVD do all the conversion to AVCHD.

Well, I had an interesting day yesterday. I went over to my friends house, and found this.

Well, I won't go into all the details, will make it short. The last thing we did was try to play a file (after several different encodes that would blow up Cineplayer when we tried to play it), it popped up once with a message about a missing codec.

I came home and put the DVD we created in my HTPC I have hooked to my overhead projector...and it plays! But when I take it to my desktop PC (which is where I've been testing), I have the same problems, which my friend has too.

I am surprised that a needed Codec for playing a fileset created by Roxio is not in fact installed by Roxio. Well, the only thing I can think of is maybe I need to install the Essentials Codec Pack. But, still no luck.

The only other thing I know of that may be different between my HTPC and the Desktop related to this stuff is that the HTPC has a BlueRay drive installed. My desktop doesn't, and neither does my friends PC.

Any thoughts?

Edited by 56_kruiser

Do the desktops have Windows XP? WinXP does not read AVCHD on Standard DVDs. These disc are indeed burned in a Bluray format. This format is supported in Vista, but not WinXP without a special driver. You need more than just a Bluray software player like Cineplayer 5.

Sorry. I thought I mentioned a couple times in the thread, but yes, it is Vista Ultimate on all machines.

Not sure what else to try. The AVCHD on standard DVD worked fine for me and others have pointed out the discs play back on PS3s. Have you tried a different files type besides the HD DivX? Have you tried a different brand of disc? Doesn't sound logical, but we've seen some strange stuff. LOL

Please confirm that you are using MyDVD and choosing an AVCHD Project.

I get the impression you just simply burned a file to a DVD and think it is going to play???

Yes, we did it correctly.

And as per my last post, it plays fine on my HTPC (including menus, and chapters), but not on my desktop PC which was where I was originally testing it. That is the PC I would expect to run Roxio on. Both are Vista Ultimate; both have TMT installed; both have the Codek Pack I referenced earlier. But of course, the desktop Pc has a lot of apps installed that the HTPC doesn't.

Also, I have put the files themselves on HDD, and same results: plays fine on the HTPC, but not the desktop PC. (I actually plan to put the files on a server drive and play from there.)

INteresting, huh...it really seems to be a codec problem on the desktop, but not sure where else to get or what codec to t ry.