Sign in to follow this  
JoeyC2

What Is Mount?

Question

3 answers to this question

It refers to making the contents of a disc image accessible. A disc image is a file that – when mounted – appears in the Finder the same as if you had inserted a CD or DVD. The most common disc images you've seen are probably .dmg files that often are the way applications are downloaded from the Internet. A Toast disc image has the extension .toast unless it is a disc image of an audio CD with is .sd2f. By control-clicking on the disc image file in the Finder you can choose Mount it from the contextual menu that appears. A mounted disc image of a video DVD can be played with DVD Player whereas the unmounted .toast file can't be played.

I went into Finder and found the two .toast files I have saved as disc images. Evidently, when they are saved they are automatically mounted? I do not recall specifying to Mount them, but their is no contextual option to do so. Further, if I double click on them, they show up as a disc on the desktop that I can play with DVD Player.

So, are you saying that when I save as a disc image, it is appropriate to use the .toast extension?

I went into Finder and found the two .toast files I have saved as disc images. Evidently, when they are saved they are automatically mounted? I do not recall specifying to Mount them, but their is no contextual option to do so. Further, if I double click on them, they show up as a disc on the desktop that I can play with DVD Player.

So, are you saying that when I save as a disc image, it is appropriate to use the .toast extension?

Popcorn automatically adds the .toast extension when saving as a disc image. You don't need to do anything. The disc image is not automatically mounted unless it gets opened in Popcorn, which is what happened when you double-clicked on it. You also can mount the .toast image file by selecting the file using the Image File setting in Popcorn, or by control-clicking on the .toast file itself in the Finder and choosing Mount it from the contextual menu that appears. You'll need to go to the "More" item at the bottom of the Contextual menu in order to see the Mount It option.