Flashes Of Red During Playback

MbOnRoxio

Question

Greetings!

I'm a first-timer here, so please bear (bare?) with me!

I've used Roxio for awhile, but just upgraded to Roxio 2009 Ultimate. I've had various DVD playback issues in the past, but now have a new one. Also using a new Buffalo MediaStation (Blu-ray HD-DVD Combo Drive, writes Blu-ray, DVD and CD, read HD DVD). It's external, and a Christmas gift. Using Verbatim DVD+R (specifies for digital movie). Writer is capable of burning at 16x. I believe the DVD is 8x; tried burning it at that, and also at 2.4x. I am running VISTA; so far no complaints with that.

Anyway, what is happening is that I am getting flashes of RED between photos. It is super quick. You almost can't "see" it, but it's obvious when you slow down the playback. If you replay the same area, it does repeat. I played the DVD on two different players, and on the computer; same deal. Of course, preview is without the flashing!

What the heck? Anyone having this? Also, I do use a lot of transitions, panning & zooming, as well as background music. The flash is not between all photos, just here an there. It seems I just can't burn a DVD that plays back flawlessly. I've had some of the other issues I've read about like the stuttering and stalling, but that was prior to this version of Roxio and this burner. This is a new one!!

HELP!...before I pull ALL my hair out!

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

:lol:

SP2 update?... well, when I first went online to register the 2009 there was a "critical" update that I did install. I don't recall anything about "SP2". Is there any way to tell?

(some RWs would be a great idea, huh?...I have enough coasters....!)

Thanks for taking a look at this!

'bear with me' ~ tolerate

'bare with me' ~ let's get naked dude! :lol:

Did you apply the SP2 update for the software? (have some RW for testing?)

Well now, "SP2" ... you're talking about a windows Service Pack, aren't you?...no that is not installed. We're talking Vista here...I'm trying to find some info on it right now...looks to me like a Beta version...know anything more about it? I'd hate to end up with other issues by installing a Beta version.

:lol:

SP2 update?... well, when I first went online to register the 2009 there was a "critical" update that I did install. I don't recall anything about "SP2". Is there any way to tell?

(some RWs would be a great idea, huh?...I have enough coasters....!)

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Just looked up some info on my burner. Claims to support Vista and XP; interesting that it states XP only with SP2. Makes me wonder about Vista.

Well now, "SP2" ... you're talking about a windows Service Pack, aren't you?...no that is not installed. We're talking Vista here...I'm trying to find some info on it right now...looks to me like a Beta version...know anything more about it? I'd hate to end up with other issues by installing a Beta version.

Just looked up some info on my burner. Claims to support Vista and XP; interesting that it states XP only with SP2. Makes me wonder about Vista.

Go here for the Creator 2009 SP2 update. http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/c2009/software_updates.html

That is why I specified "…apply the SP2 update for the software?" :lol:

Home app – Help – About, looks like this:

post-39730-1230987012.jpg

(in the Version)

Sounds like you have it but check for it… Next step would be to render using the Software setting.

MyDVD – Options – Settings – Render, Software.

This would be a good time to use those RW's! Also don't do anything else while the render/burning is taking place.

OK...version....check√

...software rendering...check√ (had that set before)

...nothing else going on...check√ (know that from the past, forgot about it on the first burn - may have had a calendar reminder come up, actually on the second burn, too & closed it shortly after the burn started)

...RWs ... working on it. Live out it the sticks, so this requires a trip to the 'city'. That may take place yet this weekend. I'm thinking I could burn a disc with OLD Roxio Creator 9 and the new burner, and/or also with the new Roxio and the old burner. If I see the same issue, that should narrow it down to a Roxio thang, or a burner thang.

Now here's a question, any issue with having both versions of Roxio on my machine?

I'm so glad you guys are out there!! I will have more questions about other things...but another time!

:rolleyes:

That is why I specified "…apply the SP2 update for the software?" :lol:

Home app – Help – About, looks like this:

post-39730-1230987012.jpg

(in the Version)

Sounds like you have it but check for it… Next step would be to render using the Software setting.

MyDVD – Options – Settings – Render, Software.

This would be a good time to use those RW's! Also don't do anything else while the render/burning is taking place.

Loading & Burning in V9 would prove nothing.

Review please???

You have a BD Burner but are writing to DVD's?

Are you creating these in MyDVD as a DVD Project or are you using AVCHD Project?

Have you tried this on more than one Player?

With some RW's in hand (buy online & they deliver?) I would set up a test. I would do parallels one as DVD one as a AVCHD onto a DVD

New project – same number of pics, no transactions or effects?

Next with transitions?

Next with Effects?

Next with everything you can?

But to be honest, while I have never seen this happen, others have reported it and the SP2 alludes to AVCHD & BD video quality issues as well as 'transition issues'… That tells me that it is out there. You may have to take this up with Roxio.

"Loading & Burning in V9 would prove nothing." ->>my thinking was that I could determine if this is an issue with the burner or with the software

"You have a BD Burner but are writing to DVD's?" ->>this is a Blu-ray HD-DVD Combo Drive, writes Blu-ray, DVD and CD; reads HD-DVD

"Are you creating these in MyDVD as a DVD Project or are you using AVCHD Project?" ->>this particular project was created in MyDVD (Roxio 9); I am not yet familiar with AVCHD. I have burned this project before, via Roxio 9 and with my old internal burner - without any flashes of red.

"Have you tried this on more than one Player?" ->> yes; two DVD players and the computer - same issue on all.

->> have my RWs; will do some experimenting...Thanks.

UPDATE!

REVIEW:

Had Project created in Roxio 8/9 (MyDVD) that has been burned to DVD in the past with good results (internal burner). Got Roxio 2009 and new external burner. New burn was produced with flashes of red/green. Now this was Software rendered and burned to DVD all in one process

WHAT I'VD DONE SINCE LAST POST:

I did a "burn" (software rendered) to a Folder Set (disc image volume). When played on the computer, I had the same flashes in the same places! Just for kicks, try to Hardware Render (to Folder Set)...NO FLASHES!! I did, however have some missing photos. Did another check on background programs running and shut a few more processes down. Also realized that, even though I had closed out my Windows calendar, I was still allowing reminders to pop up - fixed that. My next burn attempt (to Folder Set) came...out...flawlessly!!! Now, to get it on a disc (have my +RWs)! Looking at the various advice out there, tried a few different ways, but here is what worked...

Went through Roxio Creator Classic ("Burn Data Disc-Advanced" in Roxio 2009). Burned to DVD flawlessly! Played on the computer and in 3 different DVD players! Side note, there was some advice out there to just copy the folder set to the DVD; well that would not read in ANY of my players, but on the computer.

QUESTION: Throughout all of this I also created an ISO iso file and a ROXIO iso file. What is the opinion on the differences between using those and using the Folder Set?? Haven't been able to find much info on that.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!! Hope this may save someone else some frustration down the road.

Edited by MbOnRoxio

Folder set/ISO are technically identical other than ISO is everything in a compressed, single file. ISOs are handy for long term storage and burning later. I like using folders sets for what you did - quick play back using software to check it out. I also like to use Video Copy & Convert to burn the folder or ISOs.

Went through Roxio Creator Classic ("Burn Data Disc-Advanced" in Roxio 2009). Burned to DVD flawlessly! Played on the computer and in 3 different DVD players! Side note, there was some advice out there to just copy the folder set to the DVD; well that would not read in ANY of my players, but on the computer.

Good – However…

Creator Classic does not produce a DVD Movie compliant disc! I think V6 & V8 were the only versions that would… (don't recall if V9 would?)

I do have one Player that will accept a CC disc, the other 3, including a BD, yield this:

post-39730-1231867389.jpg

Now Classic will burn an ISO file but not Folders, in fact it will not even allow a VIDEO_TS folder to be added to the Project pane!

If you use the Home app Burn Data Disc, it will burn a compliant folder set.

Gary's post covers the difference between a Folder Set & ISO.

Folder set/ISO are technically identical other than ISO is everything in a compressed, single file. ISOs are handy for long term storage and burning later. I like using folders sets for what you did - quick play back using software to check it out. I also like to use Video Copy & Convert to burn the folder or ISOs.

Thank You!

See, when I used the Copy & Convert is when I ended up with a DVD I could not play in any of my players ("wrong/bad disc", etc.).

???

Creator Classic does not produce a DVD Movie compliant disc! I think V6 & V8 were the only versions that would… (don't recall if V9 would?)

Now Classic will burn an ISO file but not Folders, in fact it will not even allow a VIDEO_TS folder to be added to the Project pane!

If you use the Home app Burn Data Disc, it will burn a compliant folder set.

OK, let's see if I can get un-confused...

I'm in Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate...going to the "Data-Copy" tab and selecting "Burn Data Disc-Advanced" from the "Create" tab. When I do that, it opens "Roxio Creator Classic". It was here that I added the Folder Set and burned the disc. Now, I just checked...there is also a "Burn Data Disc" option on the "Create" tab; it also let me add the VIDEO_TS folder. So, you see, I am confused.

How do you add those screen shots to your post? If I could do that, perhaps it would be easier to see what I am talking about.

Thanks for the comments, though. Is it inconsistency that is a common thread with Roxio?...or is it that if you do something SLIGHTLY different, a process won't work?...or will...I know I am trying to keep a detailed log of what steps I take in a process. Haven't always done that, but sure am now!

Thanks again!

I know exactly what you talking about.

You cannot add a VIDEO_TS folder in Creator Classic! If you try this is what you get:

post-39730-1231885586.jpg

It can be tricked but Creator Classic does not create a DVD Movie compliant disc… You are fooling yourself because you have some Players that are very adaptable. The vast majority are not!

It is much like saying that because you have 3 TiVo Players it is a common format. It is not.

My concern is that other will come along here and read your faulty conclusions (207 as I am writing) and end up frustrated trying to replicate them.

My concern is that other will come along here and read your faulty conclusions (207 as I am writing) and end up frustrated trying to replicate them.

In review, perhaps it was BURN DATA DISC and not the BURN DATA DISC-ADVANCED that I ended up going with. My apologies. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Try this. If you are getting an error message, then try a different brand of blank disc.

Followed your steps with excellent results! Played on computer and all my DVD players. Contrary to what some say, I do consider that a good test as my players have not, in the past, been all that "adaptable".

Thank you for your help!