• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Recording Lps To Cds Produces Mushy Sound

bluelake

Question

I'm a beginner....I am trying to record some of my old LPs to CDs. (1) The operation goes fine, but the playback is not good. The voice sounds mushy, the audience louder than it should be, the base instrument is very loud. I am using a Fischer turntable with a new needle, and the receiver is Sherwood. I'm using an extra computer and the sound card quality is unknown. The computer I regularly work on is more high end and uses Windows Media Edition and has a much better sound card. It isn't as convenient to use as the extra computer, but if it is what will make the difference, then I will switch to the good computer. (2) If I do this, I am wondering if I can plug the RCA cable into the front of my computer to the Mic or Earphone outlet. The RCA cable is very short. I'll appreciate whatever help you can provide. Thanks so much.

2 answers to this question

I'm a beginner....I am trying to record some of my old LPs to CDs. (1) The operation goes fine, but the playback is not good. The voice sounds mushy, the audience louder than it should be, the base instrument is very loud. I am using a Fischer turntable with a new needle, and the receiver is Sherwood. I'm using an extra computer and the sound card quality is unknown. The computer I regularly work on is more high end and uses Windows Media Edition and has a much better sound card. It isn't as convenient to use as the extra computer, but if it is what will make the difference, then I will switch to the good computer. (2) If I do this, I am wondering if I can plug the RCA cable into the front of my computer to the Mic or Earphone outlet. The RCA cable is very short. I'll appreciate whatever help you can provide. Thanks so much.

1) Try turning down the audio acceleration via dxdiag. (Windows>Start>Run>type in dxdiag >OK, go to the sound Music/audio tab) and move the slider all the way to the left. See if that helps.

2) Did you mean output or input? Buy a longer cable.

That extra computer may have a audio chip and not a card. Cards are under $30 and will give you better quality than a chip. If you are going to use the extra computer for a lot of audio capture, consider buying and installing a card.