• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Dvd Playback Problem, Windows Explorer Hangs

sivasankar

Question

Hi,

I am using optiarc DVD+/- RW from DELL supplied writer, I burned bunch of .avi files in fujifilm DVD +R media using roxio 9 DE software(supplied by dell as a package). when I play back the DVD using same drive, I could open the files, it says not accessable, technically my computer window hangs for a while. it recovers after removing DVD from drive.

Can any body help me how to fix this issue. I wondering whether it is windows problem or issue in roxio software?. Actually drive become CD drive in my computer window. I never uninstalled anything on my OS or roxio.

I selected disc at once mode and speed 4x, doing data disc operation. What is the best solution?

Thanks

Siva

13 answers to this question

Hi,

I am using optiarc DVD+/- RW from DELL supplied writer, I burned bunch of .avi files in fujifilm DVD +R media using roxio 9 DE software(supplied by dell as a package). when I play back the DVD using same drive, I could open the files, it says not accessable, technically my computer window hangs for a while. it recovers after removing DVD from drive.

Can any body help me how to fix this issue. I wondering whether it is windows problem or issue in roxio software?. Actually drive become CD drive in my computer window. I never uninstalled anything on my OS or roxio.

I selected disc at once mode and speed 4x, doing data disc operation. What is the best solution?

Thanks

Siva

Are you just making a data disc to back up the files or are you trying to make a playable DVD? What application did you use to burn the files to the disc?

Since it appears that you are very new to video editing, I strongly suggest you read these. Resource 1 and Resource 2. After you have read those (and understood them) come back and re-phrase your question.

You have the crippled lite version of the software. I suspect those AVI files are really DivX or Xvid. I don't believe your version will handle them. In Windows folder view, turn off the "hide known file types" and then navigate to the files -- what kind are they? Can you play the files on your computer from your hard drive?

Are you just making a data disc to back up the files or are you trying to make a playable DVD? What application did you use to burn the files to the disc?

Since it appears that you are very new to video editing, I strongly suggest you read these. Resource 1 and Resource 2. After you have read those (and understood them) come back and re-phrase your question.

You have the crippled lite version of the software. I suspect those AVI files are really DivX or Xvid. I don't believe your version will handle them. In Windows folder view, turn off the "hide known file types" and then navigate to the files -- what kind are they? Can you play the files on your computer from your hard drive?

HI,

I am just creating data disc for the HD avi files that are in my hard disc. I use roxia easy media creater 9. yes I could play those .avi files using vlc player or event windows media player. technically I am not editing video, I am copying the video files to backup DVD disc.

Please help me, how to get out of this funny problem. even I tried other .wmv,.vob files, the problem remains same. I tried to mount this burned DVD from linux also, it says "can't access super block".. I do not understand.

Is it a problem in hardware or could be a media problem?

Did you 'format' the disc and use Drag to Disc to create it?

That would explain the Linux problem

If you used Creator Classic and closed the disc, it would be in standard iso format and Linux would be able to read it

No I did not format the disc, why should I format the new DVD +R disc?. I could read from combo drive i..e DVD reader from sony. But could not able to read any data from optiarc drive,from were I did burning.

Siva

If the combo druive can read it, but the optiarc can't, then it would appear that the disc is fine, but the optiarc drive is faulty

You could try using a lens cleaning disc to see if that helps, otherwiase you are going to have to replace the drive

If the combo druive can read it, but the optiarc can't, then it would appear that the disc is fine, but the optiarc drive is faulty

You could try using a lens cleaning disc to see if that helps, otherwiase you are going to have to replace the drive

Would you use one on your 'Optiarc AD-7191A lightscribe drive'?

I wouldn't.... :)

cd

I think I should try it, same time I will followup with dell guys for the replacement.

Thanks

Siva

Would you use one on your 'Optiarc AD-7191A lightscribe drive'?

I wouldn't.... :)

cd

Actuzally I would - you keeo forgetting I've over 40 years in electronic servicing and never saw one wreck a drive yet :P

Mark you, it's not a good idea to keep re-using an old 'brush only one'

But the point here is that the OP can't read from that drive, so it's either defunct or dirty. However you look at it, cleaning is not going to make things any worse than they already are (and cheaper than replacing it, although that is still on the cards)

Edited by gi7omy

Actuzally I would - you keeo forgetting I've over 40 years in electronic servicing and never saw one wreck a drive yet :P

Mark you, it's not a good idea to keep re-using an old 'brush only one'

But the point here is that the OP can't read from that drive, so it's either defunct or dirty. However you look at it, cleaning is not going to make things any worse than they already are (and cheaper than replacing it, although that is still on the cards)

That could be several problems including windows!

"40 years in electronic servicing" I have none. It's a laser not a VCR head.

No way is a disc cleaner with brushes balanced, your drive could spin it up to 16X.

The use and advice to use one, has probably ruined more drives than ever helping....

Drives are built to combat dust in negative pressure PC cases.

Laser failure, powering up and down as needed and sticky rails is a way bigger problem than any dirty laser...

Drive manufactures have always advised against using one, ask if your warranty is good if you use one.

cd

I've heard both sides of the argument from multiple parties on each side.

I think I read somewhere, it is much more hazardous to a DVD drive (with much lower tolerances) than to a CD drive.

However, I can report that my 12x8x32 HP drive was able to burn again after one pass of the CD cleaner disc.

It's a better drive than either of the CD burners currently in the Win2K, and if one of them should fail I may transfer it out of the Win98 SE. But mostly I burn on the 52x CD burners in the WinXP.

Lynn

To be totally frank - the ONLY time I ever saw a drive wrecked wasn't with a cleaning disc - it was with a driver installation one. It shattered and sent slivers of plastic all through the drive. I could have stopped it in time (there's no mistaking the sound of that spinning out of control), but unfortunately the custard had decided to plank himself right in front of the box and I couldn't get him out of the way fast enough to hit the power :lol:

I have used them from way back - I can clean a lens manually - just prefer not to (it's too much hassle dismabtling the thing)

But you miss the point - with a drive that isn't reading in the first place - there's nothing to lose and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone without a background in servicing to even attempt a manual clean

VCR cleaning tapes are a different matter - I've seen those suckers totally trash the heads (and score the drum surface)

As for makers' recommendations - well, they would sooner sell you a new drive really ;)

Edited by gi7omy