• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Disc Copier - After burning, cannot remove the hardware (burner)

malatekid

Question

After burning an image file onto a DVD, I tried removing the burner through the system tray icon for removing USB devices. I got the error below. Even if I do it again after copule of hours, the same error pops up. Anyone who experienced this before? Any suggestion on what to do? It seems the burner is locked up with a process.

pix-0011.jpg

20 answers to this question

Your saying you have a USB burner and you have Safely Remove Hardware

icon in the systray. You get the error in your first post, but don't have a policies tab

in the USB 2.0, USB Device Properties for that USB burner.

It would be nice if you answered the other questions a few posts up.

cdanteek

My oversight; yes, there is Policies tab. But the one for hard drive is different from the burner.

Here is the one for the burner:

pix-0019.jpg

And here is the one for the hard drive:

pix-0018.jpg

If you open the same EMC app again is the same burner recognized?

Yes

Try setting auto play to take no action. Why are we removing the burner?

Sorry, I don't understand this question.

Unplug the USB burner. Does windows give you a error?

No

Plug the USB burner back in. Does windows give you found new hardware in systray?

No, but the system tray icon came back.

What are you settings here for the Burner? My computer, right click on the drive, click properties,

click hardware tab, highlight your drive, click properties, click policies tab, is it set for optimize for quick removal, or optimize for performance?

It does not have those options. See first screenshot above.

I don't know. Your LaCie might have installed a filter driver and xp's usb driver is not working correctly.

If EMC recognizes the drive. You unplug it no error, re-plug it and no found new hardware, and all you get is Safely Remove Hardware Icon.

It works and you know when the drive is done writing to disc.

You can hide the Safely Remove Hardware Icon, if that bugs you. That part seems to be working. Next time burn remove the disc close the EMC app, cycle the drive tray and try to remove the drive.

cdanteek

I don't know. Your LaCie might have installed a filter driver and xp's usb driver is not working correctly.

If EMC recognizes the drive. You unplug it no error, re-plug it and no found new hardware, and all you get is Safely Remove Hardware Icon.

It works and you know when the drive is done writing to disc.

You can hide the Safely Remove Hardware Icon, if that bugs you. That part seems to be working. Next time burn remove the disc close the EMC app, cycle the drive tray and try to remove the drive.

cdanteek

After uninstalling EMC8. my burner is now working perfectly as it was before the EMC8 installation. I was able to burn 3 DVDs of an almost 2-hour long home movie from an iso file using the DiscCopier from EMC7.5

I'll stick to EMC7.5 for the moment and temporarily give up my goal of creating widescreen home video that nice features that are available in EMC8.

Thanks to all for the suggestions reagrding the issue I raised in this thread.

After burning an image file onto a DVD, I tried removing the burner through the system tray icon for removing USB devices. I got the error below. Even if I do it again after copule of hours, the same error pops up. Anyone who experienced this before? Any suggestion on what to do? It seems the burner is locked up with a process.

pix-0011.jpg

This may sound odd for a burner, but I walked through IOmega's knowledgebase for their external burners and they made this suggestion quoted below:

Lance

Question

"The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." error message when using the Safely remove hardware option

Answer

When using the Safely remove hardware option to remove the Iomega® USB or FireWire® drive, you may get the error "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later." This error message occurs when the Recycle Bin is being used by your Iomega removable drive. Use the following steps to turn off the Recycle Bin for your Iomega drive.

1. Right-click the Recycle Bin and select Properties.

2. Click the Configure drive independently option.

3. Click the Iomega drive tab.

4. Click the Do not move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediatly when deleted option.

Important: Files deleted from the Iomega drive will no longer be in the recycle bin, but will be deleted immediatly.

5. Click the OK button.

This may sound odd for a burner, but I walked through IOmega's knowledgebase for their external burners and they made this suggestion quoted below:

Lance

Yes, this sounds odd for a burner. It sounds more that this applies to a hard-drive as it talks about moving files to Recycle bin or immediate deletion of files.

pix-0011.jpg

Are you running Drag to Disc? Does the same thing happen if you reboot?

I really hope that you did not use D2D to burn that ISO to a movie DVD, because it won't work properly.

Go into My Computer. Right click on the drive, and choose Properties. On the Recording Tab, ensure that Enable CD Recording on this drive is NOT checked. Windows does have some basic burning functionality built in, doing this will help ensure it is not Windows that is causing this problem.

William

The "Enable CD Recording" option is unchecked for my burner.

Are you running Drag to Disc? Does the same thing happen if you reboot?

I really hope that you did not use D2D to burn that ISO to a movie DVD, because it won't work properly.

No, I did not install D2D. That was also my first suspect.

Yes, same thing happen if I reboot.

Thanks.

No, I did not install D2D. That was also my first suspect.

Yes, same thing happen if I reboot.

Thanks.

I don't have any USB drives, so I can't help with removing it. It seems like DLA, InCD, or some other packet wrtiting software has taken control of the drive. You need to find out what has taken control.

I know there are lots of folks here, who have external drives. Hopefully one of them can stop in here and educate us both on what is happening.

I don't have any USB drives, so I can't help with removing it. It seems like DLA, InCD, or some other packet wrtiting software has taken control of the drive. You need to find out what has taken control.

I know there are lots of folks here, who have external drives. Hopefully one of them can stop in here and educate us both on what is happening.

I'll keep on looking. I'll post any development.

Thank you.

Look at the bottom right hand side of your task pane (next to the clock). There should be an icon for "Safely Remove Hardware". Click on it and select the drive you want to remove. There is a Windows setting - I don't remember where - that allows you to remove your hardware quickly or to remove it after Windows stops writing to it. Perhaps your setting is wrong but that would also assume that something is running that still want to write to that drive (like a packet writing program). Are you sure that you don't have any of those on your computer?

I'll keep on looking. I'll post any development.

Thank you.

pix-0011.jpg

Try setting auto play to take no action. Why are we removing the burner? Unplug the USB burner.

Does windows give you a error? Plug the USB burner back in. Does windows give you found new hardware

in systray?

What are you settings here for the Burner? My computer, right click on the drive, click properties,

click hardware tab, highlight your drive, click properties, click policies tab, is it set for optimize for quick removal, or optimize for performance?

cdanteek

Look at the bottom right hand side of your task pane (next to the clock). There should be an icon for "Safely Remove Hardware". Click on it and select the drive you want to remove. There is a Windows setting - I don't remember where - that allows you to remove your hardware quickly or to remove it after Windows stops writing to it. Perhaps your setting is wrong but that would also assume that something is running that still want to write to that drive (like a packet writing program). Are you sure that you don't have any of those on your computer?

Yes, I know about that "Safely Remove Hardware". That's what I always use.

The problem is, it didn't work. My guess is that when I closed the burner (the setting is to eject after the job is done), I had not closed the application yet. My PC is set to autoplay any video using CinePlayer. Maybe there was a conflict that EMC had still a grab on the burner while CinePlayer is trying to access it resulting to a conflict.

Go into My Computer. Right click on the drive, and choose Properties. On the Recording Tab, ensure that Enable CD Recording on this drive is NOT checked. Windows does have some basic burning functionality built in, doing this will help ensure it is not Windows that is causing this problem.

William

Try setting auto play to take no action. Why are we removing the burner? Unplug the USB burner.

Does windows give you a error? Plug the USB burner back in. Does windows give you found new hardware

in systray?

cdanteek

Where do you see a "policies tab" for burners. I don't have one on my system only for hard drives.

William

I'll give this a try--for the two burners I have.

Thank you. :)

I agree with Walt: the Policies tab only appear if you choose a hard drive. If you choose anything else, the Policies tab doesn't appear.

Don't agree with me since cdanteek is right - the Policies tab seems to apply only for USB devices that can be used as "storage". I connected a USB memory card and the Policiy tab was there.

I agree with Walt: the Policies tab only appear if you choose a hard drive. If you choose anything else, the Policies tab doesn't appear.

Your saying you have a USB burner and you have Safely Remove Hardware

icon in the systray. You get the error in your first post, but don't have a policies tab

in the USB 2.0, USB Device Properties for that USB burner.

It would be nice if you answered the other questions a few posts up.

cdanteek

Archived