captured photos lost

duditos

Question

Good morning. I recently transferred some photos from my camera to my computer using photosuite 7. the photos that came up on the screen had small icons of a disc and a floppy in the lower right hand corner. I can see the photos, but all of the editing options are grayed out. Without thinking, I then erased the data from the memory stick on my camera. Are the photos that I transferred essentially lost, or can they be re-found and worked with. Thanks for your help

13 answers to this question

Unfortunately, I'm at "work" now, but I believe that when I tried that, a message came up stating that the photos could not be found.

Just found the following. If they were on your hard drive and you accidentally deleted them, you might be able to get them back.

Tip 2: Recover lost data.

Everyone has accidentally deleted files from their hard drive, and very few feelings are as low as the moment right after you nuke 300 irreplaceable photographs of your kids/dogs/life. Actually, one feeling is worse than that: accidentally quick-formatting your entire drive.

Even if you regularly back up your drives, mistakes happen. That's why this tip is paramount. It's also really simple. There's an excellent downloadable data recovery app for XP called Zero Assumption Recovery that can help. Don't waste another minute — download and install it now.

When you run into trouble, here's what to do:

1. The moment you delete your data, stop using your hard drive. Don't save or install any new applications — they'll be written over your recently departed data.

2. Run Zero Assumption Recovery. You already had it installed, right?

3. Select the hard drive you want to scan. Wait for the scan to finish. (This can take between one and two hours -- part of Zero Assumption Recovery's effectiveness is its thoroughness.)

4. With any luck, you'll see a list of your missing folders and files. The freeware version of Zero Assumption Recovery allows you to recover up to four folders per scan. If you pay $100 for the full version, you get full recovery.

Note: You can also use Zero Assumption Recovery to recover deleted photos from your camera's memory card.

I have not tried this. It was on the yahoo home page today. Let us know if it works.

Thanks to George Jones of TechNet

I was thinking about downloading it, because I took some pictures and video clips at the ball game sat. night and when I came home I opened up the my camera for loading, decided to view the pictures first, which I don't normally do, and when I was finished I deleted them thinking they were on my hard drive. dah......... :huh::D just goes to show one shouldn't do things when your tired. :) I don't believe I can retrieve the video clips because they aren't .mov and that is actually what I want. So I don't think I will do it this time, but I like the fact that there is something out there that can retrieve them. I think I will go ahead and download the program. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Patty, there's another program out there called Flash Retriever. There's an evaluation version available here. I've never used it, but I have used other applications from Infinadyne and they've worked well. It claims to support various file formats on flash media, including movie files. Another possibility for you.

Thanks Dave, I will look into it. I only have had it happen once so far but it only takes once to loose important pictures. :)

Thanks for all of your help. I tried the program you suggested, and although some pictures were found, not all were. I tried something more basic, and went into the windows "search" function, looked for all of the ".jpg" files, and there they were! So I'm back up and running. I appreciate those of you who took the time to help, it's groups like this and people like you who make computing bearable for us "non-techies". Sandy

Thanks for all of your help. I tried the program you suggested, and although some pictures were found, not all were. I tried something more basic, and went into the windows "search" function, looked for all of the ".jpg" files, and there they were! So I'm back up and running. I appreciate those of you who took the time to help, it's groups like this and people like you who make computing bearable for us "non-techies". Sandy

Where were they, on your hard drive?

Good morning. I recently transferred some photos from my camera to my computer using photosuite 7. the photos that came up on the screen had small icons of a disc and a floppy in the lower right hand corner. I can see the photos, but all of the editing options are grayed out. Without thinking, I then erased the data from the memory stick on my camera. Are the photos that I transferred essentially lost, or can they be re-found and worked with. Thanks for your help

Glad to hear you found them, it sounded like they were somewhere on your hard drive, just a matter of finding them. Glad you did. :)

I'm glad that you found those images. I'm interested if you used that program on your camera's memory card to recover the images. If so, that would be pretty handy to have.

I was thinking about downloading it, because I took some pictures and video clips at the ball game sat. night and when I came home I opened up the my camera for loading, decided to view the pictures first, which I don't normally do, and when I was finished I deleted them thinking they were on my hard drive. dah......... :huh::D just goes to show one shouldn't do things when your tired. :) I don't believe I can retrieve the video clips because they aren't .mov and that is actually what I want. So I don't think I will do it this time, but I like the fact that there is something out there that can retrieve them. I think I will go ahead and download the program. Thanks for the heads up. :D

Patty, there's another program out there called Flash Retriever. There's an evaluation version available here. I've never used it, but I have used other applications from Infinadyne and they've worked well. It claims to support various file formats on flash media, including movie files. Another possibility for you.

This sounds like great program that everyone could gain from, if and when it is needed. I'd be anxious to hear from anyone else that has used this program, especially on the memory card from a digital camera. When the free program allows only to get back 4 folders, does that mean you couldn't run the program again on other folders ? Thanks for the tip sknis !!

Frank....

I think you can but remember it takes several hours to do the scan. Probably much shorter on a memory card where most people only have one folder. Check out the rest of the top 10 XP fixes in my post the general discussion section or just go to techweb and look near the center of the page for the article.

This sounds like great program that everyone could gain from, if and when it is needed. I'd be anxious to hear from anyone else that has used this program, especially on the memory card from a digital camera. When the free program allows only to get back 4 folders, does that mean you couldn't run the program again on other folders ? Thanks for the tip sknis !!

Frank....

Sknis:---I just down loaded both the programs (Disk Space Visualizer And ZAR). I haven't had to use the ZAR program (just lucky :) ) but I did run the Space Visualizer and so far I can't see anything that it can give me that other default programs won't give me. It has a nice form to it but the information availabe is very limited. Or am I missing something ?

Frank....

Archived