Burning Dvd's Works Only Part Of The Time

griz44

Question

I am trying to burn a movie I created. It only works about 1 out of every 15 tries. The project is validated, the drive is adequate (and has burned a couple of times), however, most of the time I get the burning screen, but nothing happens. It just goes into a no responding mode. Can you help me. Thanks.

15 answers to this question

I am trying to burn a movie I created. It only works about 1 out of every 15 tries. The project is validated, the drive is adequate (and has burned a couple of times), however, most of the time I get the burning screen, but nothing happens. It just goes into a no responding mode. Can you help me. Thanks.

You will get more help when you explain what program in the software you are using, the steps you took to create your production, what the type of files are, and what you did to try to burn them.

I'm using Roxio MyDVD. I've created a DVD project which I have been trying to burn to a disc. I start the burning process and a screen pops up (Burn Project) and nothing happens. I have been successful 2 times in creating the DVD, however, I have been unsuccessful about 100 times. I have to continue to reboot the system. The DVD project shows that it is not responding. Thanks.

I'm using Roxio MyDVD. I've created a DVD project which I have been trying to burn to a disc. I start the burning process and a screen pops up (Burn Project) and nothing happens. I have been successful 2 times in creating the DVD, however, I have been unsuccessful about 100 times. I have to continue to reboot the system. The DVD project shows that it is not responding. Thanks.

What are your system specs, especially video card?

What happens if you burn to a folder set or to an iso file instead of directly to a DVD?

System specs,

HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition

Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHZ

Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

DVD drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50l SCSI CdROM Device

When I try to save as iso file, I get same problem. Thanks.

System specs,

HP Pavilion dv5-1125nr

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition

Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHZ

Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB

DVD drive: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50l SCSI CdROM Device

When I try to save as iso file, I get same problem. Thanks.

That would indicate there is something wrong, with a file, in your production.

BTW, in your first post, what did you mean by "The project is validated"?

I went to tools-validate project, and there were no problems with the file.

If you can't burn to disc, and you can't burn to an image file, there is something wrong with your production.

What kind of files does your production have?

Are you using any text or transitions?

How long, timewise, is your production?

Yes, I have transitions (potluck) and text, audio and video. The file is 3.5 GB. I have been able to burn it twice, and it works on the DVD player, but about 98% of the time, it will not burn.

Is this the exact same movie that you are trying to burn over and over again w/ MyDVD? When you say "a movie," "the project" and "able to burn it twice," it suggests that you are not just making copies of the successfully-burned dvd, and instead creating "fresh" dvds (or .isos) w/ MyDVD for each copy of the identical movie. I hope that's not the case! Not that you should be crashing 98% of the time by using MyDVD, but I just had to mention that ...

Also, GPB asked you how long, in minutes, your production is, not in gigabytes. Is it longer than an hour? Do you experience the same problems w/ small (say, 10-15 minute long) projects?

Edited by Syrallas

I have only one project that I'm trying to burn onto a DVD which was a wedding I put in a movie format. The production is 1.5 hrs long. I've burned two of the same project onto a DVD and continue to try to use this project to burn another. Any thoughts?

I have only one project that I'm trying to burn onto a DVD which was a wedding I put in a movie format. The production is 1.5 hrs long. I've burned two of the same project onto a DVD and continue to try to use this project to burn another. Any thoughts?

A standard 4.7GB DVD will only hold 60 minutes of video at best quality. Any more and the video loses quality. If you have a 1.5 hour video then you must be using "Fit -to-disc" or one of the lowere quality settings.

If you want to burn the same video to several DVDs you should be first creating an iso file and then copying that iso to your DVDs. When creating the iso file make sure you have unchcecked the "burn to disc" option.

BTW, what make of DVD media are you using? You mention in one of your post that you were successfull in burning a VD - that indicates that C2009 is working properly and your problem may well be the media you are using. Also you should disable any running applications as well as disconnect from the internet while burning. A defrag of your hard drive is also recommended.

Well it looks like you dropped by the forums earlier this evening, so just in case you drop back again, as Walt stated, creating an iso w/ MyDVD, and then,.in a separate step, burning the disc w/ creator is the recommended route. It saves time because there is no encoding done once the iso is created, and therefore making additional dvds by burning the iso image onto a blank disc is more efficient, and less likely to give you the error messages you discuss.

That said, if you did not create an iso image when you burned your disc w/ MyDvd, and you want to avoid using that program for the time being do to the crash issue you have, you can aways just copy one of the good burns of your wedding dvd with the copy disc function in the suite, which should look something like the picture below.

Good luck!

copydiscah7.jpg

Edited by Syrallas

That said, if you did not create an iso image when you burned your disc w/ MyDvd, and you want to avoid using that program for the time being do to the crash issue you have, you can aways just copy one of the good burns of your wedding dvd with the copy disc function in the suite, which should look something like the picture below.

Somebody's V10 is showing... :lol:

In 2009 it looks like this:

post-39730-1231587235.jpg

Copy - Copy Disc