• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator 2009 - Successful Instal And Possible Cause Of The Problem

ZydorsGhost

Question

What a saga .... tried for hours then came to the forum for words of wisdom. Its now running - yey :D Thanks to all the step by steps guys - did the trick.

I made notes when following the three main fixes I have seen here. First I tried renaming dsetup.dll, nothing else done, no joy got the classic results. Renamed it back again to dsetup.dll.

Next:

Clean Install - Vista.

The only items seen at all in the whole clean install procedure were PX Storage Engine, and a Sonic Application in the Registry (from a failed install earlier). Deleted them, disabled msconfig items, re-booted, and reinstalled.

Ziltch. Got the same old Framework setup failure screen, followed by 2 seconds of DX9 install, then the infamous Roxio "interupted" screen.

Grrrr .... :angry2:

Then I realised I had not renamed the dsetup.dll file to dsetupold.dll. :glare:

So I did, re ran the install and bingo in it went no drama ! :lol:

I knew no Roxio product had gone anywhere near my laptop, so I tried it on that. No dsetup.dll file existed there either, nor any of the offending registry entries from the Clean Install routine for regedit. It went straight in first time no bother.

The only difference between the two machines was dsetup.dll - It did not install on the PC with all offending entries removed and dsetup.dll NOT renamed. but did on a retry with it renamed (ie with all offending directories etc etc removed, didnt work - on retry with the dll renamed it did). On the laptop there was a clean registry and no loose directories to delete, and it went straight in.

Overall therefore, on the PC, with no cleaning action or deletions the renaming of dsetup.dll had no effect. But I then renamed it (with the clean reg etc etc still clean), and bingo it worked.

Deduction, gawd knows rolf However hopefully the sequence will help a tech track this down, as its a real horror.

For me the whole issue of Framework 3.5, remove it etc is a red herring. I already had 3.5 loaded and updated. I have a feeling there is two unconnected errors. First being an install ontop of an existing 3.5 is not checking it properly as the "setup failure" screen still came on during the successful install, but it continued to install DX9. Its possible that correct failed attempts to load 3.5 elements over an existing 3.5 installation are being interpreted as failed install, which would be wrong in my case as its already there.

As to the DX9 saga, that seems to be connected to the dsetup.dll file as I had a failed install on clean boot, then it went in after I renamed dsetup.dll.

Sorry the above was a bit rambling its getting late ....... hopefully someone in Roxio Support can make something of that, because at the end of it all, it went in after the suggested cleaning/deletions were done and the dll renamed. Didnt touch Framework at all - I'm convinced thats a red herring.

Regards

Zy

Edited by ZydorsGhost

7 answers to this question

I am not claiming Guru status by any means. I am just passing on my own personal installation and learning experiences from the forum mentors.

When running my first couple install attempts (3 or 4), the wizard never made it to the Direct X step. When I removed .Net Framework v3.5, the next install attempt failed at the Direct X step. this is where I renamed the dsetup.dll file to dsetupold.dll. Since the Roxio installs .Net Framework v3.5, its worth the few seconds to check your system for its presence before running the install. If it is there remove it. Your laptop may not have had that .Net Framework version on it yet. Did you check before running the Creator 2009 install on it? Just wondering.

This was my install procedure in sequence which worked for me.

Installation/Reinstallation procedure is as follows:

1. 1. Follow the Roxio Clean Install procedure described in the pinned post entitled Clean Install For C2009.
  2. 2. Uninstall .Net Framework v3.5
  3. 3. Follow the steps stated here: http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000214CR to prevent DirectX 9 issues.
  4. 4. Disable system antivirus/firewall. Then take modem offline to prevent internet activity. Reboot.
  5. 5. Run installation wizard.
  6. 6. Reconfigure start up programs using "msconfig". Reboot
  7. 7. Bring system antivirus/firewall online. Do the same for the modem.

What flavor, Ultimate, Home Premium???

The PC has Vista Home Premium, the Laptop has Vista Ultimate. I can mail you a belaric print out of both if it helps you.

Regarding updating to 3.5 - frankly not a clue, its been out for over a year now, and I cant remember how I first got it on there. Windows Update seems to kick in whenever its gone missing (post crashes etc). I have also noted many program install routines are including a 3.5 loadup, and so both the laptop and the PC will have been through that kind of process many times over by now. Initially it took a while, however now when a program throws in 3.5 as part of its own install routine, it zips through it very fast, presumably because its all there, and the parent install routine skips installing existing Framework files. I also have a habit of keeping an eye open for new updates on the microsoft site (any product), so may have also downloaded from there at some point. I just dont think about it now, I leave it to Windows Update to catch it.

For those interested there is a new 3.5SP1.1 update released which fixed the bugs introduced by the 3.5SP1 upgrade. See NET Framework 3.5SP1 Update

Your laptop may not have had that .Net Framework version on it yet. Did you check before running the Creator 2009 install on it? Just wondering.

For me, Framework was never the issue, it went through the install components routine so fast it was unreal, the install bar zipped along like an olympic sprinter :lol: - ie it found them there already. Nontheless the routine still triggered the NET Framework initiation screen unecessarily, as I had already been using it for ages on the laptop and the PC. That was then followed by the Framework "failed setup" notification screen - the latter was clearly wrong, as a fully upgraded Framework 3.5 was already on both the PC and laptop, had been for a while, and was running without issues. Therefore it could only be incorrect checking within the install routine that triggered the "failed" Framework screens - it was already there ...... therefore the whole Framework deinstall thing was for me a red herring.

Finally dont forget, I didnt touch Framework, and the whole install hammered in no issues - thats why I am convinved the whole deinstall Framework thing is a red herring. It just needs the combination of the now standard Clean Install routine, plus the renaming of the dsetup.dll file, and it will go in no bother. It did on the laptop, and the laptop had a pristine installation on it, with no dsetup.dll file on it in the first place, and had never even had a wiff of any Roxio product. All that happens if you deinstall Framework 3.5, is the Roxio routine reinstalls it - it will however still trigger the two Framework splash screens, due I believe, to incorrect checking within the install routine, not because of a bad Framework install.

Regards

Zy

Regarding updating to 3.5 - frankly not a clue, its been out for over a year now, and I cant remember how I first got it on there.

I leave it to Windows Update to catch it.

I'm convinced you really don't know if you had it installed or not! Is it a problem? For some that's why I asked for details.

If you never got the directX roll back your theory on "plus the renaming of the dsetup.dll" is wrong!

Thanks for the information tho.

cd

You asked me how it was put on - you had the answer, the honest one.

I am capable after 35 years of this stuff of knowing whether its there or not, and it was there. If that hits another theory thats fine by me.

Re roll back, you got the precise description of what happened, DX9 install was visible for around 2-3 seconds before it all fell over. In interpret that as you will.

Frankly no I dont have a problem with it, I am mystified as to why you seem to.

Thanks for the information tho.

I had the same prb with roxio Creator 2009 wizard was interrupted 2 secs after it said something about dx9. now this was a new computer i built myself 64bit vista that never had a roxio product on it. I changed the DEsetup.dll names and still didn't work. Well after trying different things for 2 hours. I did the MSconfig startup disable all. that didn't work then i remembered that i renamed the desetup.dll back to the right name. I then changed there name again and roxio creator 2009 installed. So this allso worked for me by the way the desetup.dll was put there by a FEAR 2 demo. So try the disable all startup programs and find all desetup.dll and change the name search hidden files allso. I'm sure this was what caused the interrupted install for me.