Choppy Audio On Mini Dv Capture

Nuzy

Question

Hello,

I have been capturing my mini dv tapes to archive them on a hard drive using the ECM 10 Suite Media Manager. I appear to have a camera/tape compatability issue. A while back my old Sony TRV22 video camera broke so I had to buy a new video camera. I bought a Canon ZR950. I can capture all my tapes recorded on the ZR950 fine (using the new camera as the capture device, of course), but when I try to capture the tapes that I recorded with the TRV22 using the ZR950 as the capture device, the audio is very choppy (cuts in and out every second or so). Can any of you help me understand why this is happening? Is it a camera setting or a setting in ECM 10 that needs to be changed? Is there a solution?

The audio on the tapes recorded on the TRV22 sounds fine when played through the ZR950, it's only when I listen to it on my PC, whether during the capture process or afterwards, that I hear the choppy audio. Been searching the net for a couple hours now and can't seem to find a straight answer. Seems like is could be a 12 bit vs 16 bit audio thing, but I don't know how to solve that. I changed the camera setting to 16 bit recording, but I don't see how that would impact the audio that is being output from a previously recorded tape. The only audio options for playing a tape back on the ZR950 are Output channel for stereo, left only, or right only and a setting for 12 bit audio to play the original track, a dubbed in track, or both. The TRV22 is gone, so I don't have the ability to capture the old tapes using that device.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 answers to this question

Since no one seems to have an answer to my question, can any of you suggest any quality video editing web forums that I could try to post my question on?

Thanks again,

Mike

I don't think that you are being ignored. I don't think that anyone has an answer to your question.

Have you contacted Canon to see if the video tapes, from the Sony, can be captured, from the Canon, with any software?

Did the Canon come with software that you can use to capture video?

I don't think that you are being ignored. I don't think that anyone has an answer to your question.

Have you contacted Canon to see if the video tapes, from the Sony, can be captured, from the Canon, with any software?

Did the Canon come with software that you can use to capture video?

Sorry - I didn't mean to imply that I was being ignored. I assumed no one has an answer which is why I was hoping to get the names of some other suggested forums. I'm importing one of the Sony recorded tapes using the Windows Vista Import Video program now, so I'll know soon whether that works. Since it doesn't play audio during the import like Roxio does I can't tell real time whether it has the choppy audio problem. I'm not very hopeful that it will work, although who knows...with this stuff I guess anything is possible. Very strange that all tapes recorded on the Canon capture fine, but the tapes recorded on the Sony play ok in the Canon camera but won't capture properly. If this doesn't work, I'll try Canon as you suggested. At this point, I'll take any solution even if I never do ultimately find out what caused it, but I'd sure like to know what's going on.

Thanks for the input!

Mike