Question

I see that Toast 10 has been announced. I bought Toast 9 just under a month ago. Is there going to be any kind of grace period for upgrades, or do I need to pay all over again? I've bought every version of Toast since 6, it feels as if it is getting to be a bit pricey. I like it, I use it a lot, but it's getting to be the most expensive software title I own. (I did see that there is a $40/$50 upgrade discount for all current Toast 9 owners, but I'm still feeling a bit stung and I'm not sure that I got $50 worth out of Toast 9 during that one month.)

I called them this afternoon and the lady told me you don't get the plug-in with the $59.99 upgrade. It only comes with the full product. I told her I got an email this morning about the price being $99.99 with a $20 instant rebate so the price really is $79.99 for the upgrade and not $59.99. Basically you save $20 and that is it.

Their upgrade prices are way too high especially if they offer an new version in less then a year. Most companies give you the upgrade for less then 1/2 of the retail price.

Try the upgrade page again. It was changed this afternoon and the plugin (free) now appears in the shopping cart. The total upgrade price from Toast 9 to Toast 10, including the plugin, is $59.95, also shown in the cart. (I just checked again to confirm.)

I can only empathize with you on the upgrade pricing, which I, too, think are typically out of line with the moderate software enhancements provided with new releases.

Someone needs to say this...

STOP WHINNING!!

You are burning Blu Ray discs on a Mac, for heavens sake, with 9.02 and 9.04, and many

of us are doing it on PowerPC G4 laptops and external Blu Ray burners. The alternatives

are paying much bigger bucks for another Sonic full blown pro system, or worse yet, buying

a PC!! Spend the few bucks for 10 with the free HD plugin (saving your 'older' version 9s).

You should be able to copy the new HD menus from 10 into your Toast DVD menu styles

folder and access them in 9, if you have problems with 10. I'm sure you geniuses can come

up with other work arounds for the other problems we've discussed here, until Toast 11+++

Just appreciate the fact that we have a company who is still making products for Mac owners

and is still keeping prices reasonable. Like we are gonna wait for Apple to get off the pot??

There, I feel better...

I tried to say that to Tazzy but I was a little more diplomatic (which didn't seem to work). :rolleyes:

I bought Toast 9 and went to get the plug-in for it this morning. The link takes me to the Toast 10 plug in and it says there it will only work for Toast 10. I have been calling all day and sent an email but have heard nothing. Without the plug in the product is useless to me. I am not sure if I want to get the plug-in for 9 or get the upgrade to 10 with the free plug-in. ($70)

If the product was purchased recently, I suggest contacting Roxio CS and obtaining refund and treat yourself with T10. With availability of new version, legacy version is no longer sold as expected.

After talking talking with a rep from the online store (which isn't Roxio), the gentleman told me the only way to get a free upgrade from Roxio was if I had purchased the software directly from Roxio's store. I purchased the boxed edition of Toast 9 from another online retailer in the beginning of December 2008. He said that the only thing I could do was to contact that retailer and get a refund, then buy Toast 10.

Well, since I registered the software with the included serial number, and sent in for my $20 rebate (I was upgrading to 9), the retailer can't take it back. So I'm stuck having to upgrade to 10 for the full price (less the whopping $20 rebate).

Some of us in this thread are not whining. We have a legitimate rite to be p*ssed. Their upgrade policies for recent purchasers I think are terrible, especially if you supported them by buying a boxed version vs. the electronic download. Someone from Roxio needs to get into this forum and respond, because as it stands now, I WILL NOT upgrade to 10 until they stop screwing their loyal customers. Someone previously stated that this was a "users" forum, but this forum is on Roxio's website. They should be actively participating in these forums if they really cared about their user base.

I tried to say that to Tazzy but I was a little more diplomatic (which didn't seem to work). :rolleyes:

My apologies if I came across as whining, for it wasn't really my intention. Rather, I meant to share info I had on the Blu-Ray plugin upgrade glitch, which Roxio apparently appreciated as something other than my whining, noting that they quickly and reasonably responded to the benefit of Toast 9 upgraders. Sorry if you didn't see it that way, or that perhaps you misconstrued the concerns of some of the other members here.

Have a great day! :)

My apologies if I came across as whining, for it wasn't really my intention. Rather, I meant to share info I had on the Blu-Ray plugin upgrade glitch, which Roxio apparently appreciated as something other than my whining, noting that they quickly and reasonably responded to the benefit of Toast 9 upgraders. Sorry if you didn't see it that way, or that perhaps you misconstrued the concerns of some of the other members here.

Nobody from Roxio has responded in this thread.

Sorry, it seemed the general tenor of the thread was whiny :rolleyes: ...and I still feel better...

As a follow up to my earlier post in this thread (http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=46908&view=findpost&p=247786), I have to say I'm pleased with the prompt refund of what I paid for Toast 9 on 24th December 2008. I filed the request online and got the refund today. I did worry a bit that it might be a frustrating experience, but I now have more faith in Roxio.

Of course, my experience does not negate the need for a better upgrade process and price from Roxio (why did they even send me the 50% off mail for Toast 9 in December when they knew Toast 10 would be released shortly?).

If anyone from Roxio is reading this, thanks a lot for the hassle free refund process. But please do read through these threads and make the upgrade experience cheaper and better for end users.

This is a user forum, very, very rarely someone from Roxio appears, so I would suggest you contact Roxio Customer Service.

Very rarely someone from Roxio sales respons, the are only interested in our money.

I heard from other users on this forum that the (Blu Ray) Menu's still don't work

Wow I just got mine on 12/14/2008 Direct download You bet I am calling in the AM. about a refund (return) For 10 this is a case full of CR_ _! This is just like when I upgraded to toast 6 from 5. Then 7 came out. And I got stuck! So for the last several years I used toast 6. and Popcorn 1 and 2. We will see tomorrow! otherwise. it will be YEARS before I upgrade again!!! :angry2: Seeing how it's been only what about 9 months since 9 was released?! :angry:

Well 3 times on the phone trying to get through. 1st time 45min, 2nd time 45min, today(3rd) 30min. still no luck so now I went through the refund. with the note. of stated trying and would like 10 that was a little over 30min ago. see what they say that way?!

Well 3 times on the phone trying to get through. 1st time 45min, 2nd time 45min, today(3rd) 30min. still no luck so now I went through the refund. with the note. of stated trying and would like 10 that was a little over 30min ago. see what they say that way?!

Well, I tried also without not much success. So I sent a note to Roxio customer service and this one to Sonic Solutions HQ as of yet no reply.

I'm not usually the type to complain but today, I will make an exception.

As we all experience the ripple effect of a significant global economic downturn, you might have noticed that clients are becoming more discriminating in their spending. Statistics demonstrate that consumers are delaying many large purchases and discretionary spending is becoming restricted. It is fair to say that companies who compete for a diminishing market will benefit and profit from listening to their customers. It is with this in mind that I take time out of my very busy schedule to write to you today.

I wish to share with you my recent experience that, in the end, impacts Sonic Solutions. Although I am but one customer, a quick look on Roxio discussion board reveals that I am certainly not the only one and it seems that there is a pattern of similar experiences emerging. The issue relates to a Roxio policy that refuses an upgrade to customers who purchased your software within days of a new upgrade being released. Roxio customer service recommends that the client return the product under the 30-day return policy and then re-purchase the newer version. However, buried somewhere on the Roxio website there is a caveat that states that the refund only applies to products purchased through the Roxio website. This is a discriminatory practice that alienates consumers and resellers alike. Roxio customer service sends the purchaser to the reseller for a refund knowing full well that the reseller cannot accept returns of software that has been opened. I was informed by representatives at Future Shop, a large electronics chain and reseller of your software, that software companies including Sonic Solutions refuse returned products that have been opened. Alas, the lesson for the consumer is not to purchase directly from the reseller. This reduces the demand for your software in stores and fewer resellers will carry this product. Much attention is paid to "visibility" on the shelf and it plays well into impulse shopping. If consumers no longer see your product on the shelves they will choose another--namely a competitor.

There are several inefficiencies in returning a product purchased through a third-party especially when involving a credit card. Notwithstanding having to get an "authorization" from a third-party and solemnly declaring that you will destroy the software, the additional time wasted re-ordering and re-downloading the software is seriously annoying not to mention risky. I purchased Roxio Toast 9 from a re-seller because I saw it on the shelf unfortunately for me it was 10 days prior to the Toast 10 release date. I also ordered the Blu Disk Plug-in from the Roxio web site the same day. Under customer service's advice, I returned the "BD Plug-in" software and followed their advice to return the software to the retailer. As you know, the retailer does not accept opened boxed software and unfortunately I cannot afford the luxury of spending an additional upgrade fee for a 10-day-old product. This fee plus the BD plug-in would exceed the $100 CAD cost of the original software.

Over the years I have purchased many video editing, DVD authoring and DVD player products from Sonic Solutions, first for my PC and now for my Mac. I regret to say that your upgrade policy has caused me to re-evaluate my purchase of your products, software and plug-in. In future I will be more careful as to where my small discretionary spending goes.

Perhaps you would consider an improved system that would allow products registered within 30 days of the new release date to be upgraded directly through your web site without having to do a return and re-purchase. Unregistered product of course would not qualify. A reasonable upgrade fee to cover the price difference between the old and new product would be acceptable to almost any consumer. Many software companies process upgrades in this fashion. As for my experience it concludes with this letter requesting you reconsider your return/upgrade policy.

What is the cost of regaining a lost customer? In this case as with many others on Roxio's discussion board, a reasonable upgrade policy that considers those who barely had time to open the package before it became obsolete. Very little cost to you but it would mean a lot to us.

For your sincere consideration, I remain

Respectfully,

Currently, if one owns Toast 9 and the Toast 9 Blu-Ray plugin, there's no upgrade path for the the Toast 10 plugin. The Toast 9 plugin will not work with Toast 10. Thus, unless one upgrades to the Toast 10 Pro version which includes the plugin, a new Toast 10 plugin must be purchased at full price ($20), in addition to the Toast 10 upgrade price.

This may be an oversight by Roxio, which became aware of this, this morning, per Roxio Customer Service. Perhaps a change will be made; but if not, I thought it prudent to make the members aware of this.

Edit: Roxio has fixed the "no plugin with upgrade" issue this afternoon, adding the (free) plugin to the upgrade path for Toast 10. Good for them! Looks like it pays for customers to contact them and politely address their concerns!

Well I was just told yesterday by two different roxio reps that there is no free plugin with the 59.99 upgrade. After I did the upgrade two days ago and of course never got the plugin. Screw as usual by roxio.

Well I was just told yesterday by two different roxio reps that there is no free plugin with the 59.99 upgrade. After I did the upgrade two days ago and of course never got the plugin. Screw as usual by roxio.

Screwy issue, indeed! Below is a screenshot I took minutes ago of a shopping cart for the Toast 9 to Toast 10 upgrade. Please note that the plugin was automatically added to the cart by Roxio without any additional user/customer intervention:

ToastUpgradeCart.gif

Screwy issue, indeed! Below is a screenshot I took minutes ago of a shopping cart for the Toast 9 to Toast 10 upgrade. Please note that the plugin was automatically added to the cart by Roxio without any additional user/customer intervention:

ToastUpgradeCart.gif

Like I said over at RipDiffernt, It charges me 19.99 and 59.99 not just 59.99. :angry2:

Guest ivanatrox

Hi All

As I mentioned in this thread, we will honor missing HD plugin if it shows up in the cart but not there after the order is placed. Please PM me if that's the case.

Thanks

Ivan

ToastUpgradeCart.gif

I guess you just got lucky because below is a copy of my shopping cart just taken... No plugin......

Roxio eStore > HomeStore Home | Shopping Cart | Customer Service

Shopping Cart

Order Number: 5825205312

Currency Country

Product Name Qty Delivery Method Price Remove

Toast 10 Titanium - ESD (UG) $59.99

Roxio Recommended BackUp Disk (details) $16.99

Coupon Code:

Sub-Total $59.99

Total $59.99

For Minnesota, California and Washington state residents, applicable sales tax will be applied.

Any digital products sold into the European Union will have a VAT (Tax) charge of 15% applied to them. To see a list of countries this will be applied to please click here.

E-commerce services are provided by Digital River Inc., a(n) Sonic Solutions e-commerce reseller. Privacy Policy Terms and Conditions

Affiliate Program | Legal | Privacy | Customer Service

©Sonic Solutions. All Rights Reserved. Roxio, the leader in CD & DVD burning software.

I guess you just got lucky because below is a copy of my shopping cart just taken... No plugin......

As much as you won't like it, the "free" BD add-on is not included when you upgrade !

This was covered in another post; post 17.

Having two threads running on the same topic is making things confusing. Since Ivan has a lot of responses in the other thread, this thread should be closed.

Edited by sknis