• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Emc9 On Hp Rp5700 After Sysprep

ScottReed

Question

We are rolling out a slew of HP RP-5700 desktops that all shipped with Roxio EMC9. I created a sysprepped image with EMC9 in-tact but apparently after pushing the image to subsequent RP-5700's the Roxio product simply disappears almost entirely.

Symptoms as follows:

- All Roxio entries do not show in Add/Remove Programs

- C:\Program Files\Roxio or Sonic DO NOT exist

- NONE of the C:\Documents and Settings Roxio or Sonic App Data folders exist

- The Roxio/Sonic registry keys described in ID 000086CR do not exist

- MS Installer Cleanup shows Sonic Activation Module but not other Roxio/Sonic entries

I finally read here on the forums that the OEM EMC9 cannot be sysprepped.

So now I want to come up with a re-install procedure so I can hit each RP-5700 and manually install the product.

What I have tried so far:

- Follow ID 000086CR from start to finish

- Remove Sonic Activation Module by running the MSI which resides on the EMC9 CD and choose REMOVE

- Run regedit, Find all roxio and sonic entries, and REMOVE

- Reboot

When attempting to re-install the product the following happens:

- When selecting Typical Install the installation starts with Sonic Activiaton and simply finishes within three seconds and says the software is installed succesfully.

- When selecting Custom the list of selectable components is empty yet the required space says 16mb. If I DO NOT remove Sonic Activation the required space says 0mb.

- Regardless of Typical, Custom or Complete the installation finishes in approx. three seconds.

Without pointing me to ID 000086CR and without telling me to buy the volume license version can someone tell us how we can get rid of Roxio and re-install the software on each RP-5700?

Thanks,

Scott

6 answers to this question

We are rolling out a slew of HP RP-5700 desktops that all shipped with Roxio EMC9.

Without pointing me to ID 000086CR and without telling me to buy the volume license version can someone tell us how we can get rid of Roxio and re-install the software on each RP-5700?

Thanks,

Scott

If that Roxio program came pre-installed on the HP computers, then it is a OEM version and support will (should) come from HP. Contact them. No one here can help you with the OEM install/uninstall.

Edited by sknis

*RESOLVED*

The solution to the problem is as follows. I wrote a small batch to handle most of the work. Run the batch script and then after the reboot re-install EMC9.

@echo off
::
:: (c) 2009 DNC Inc.
:: -------------------------------------------------------------
:: 1/05/2009    SReed    INITIAL CREATION
:: -------------------------------------------------------------
setlocal
set THIS_CMD=RoxioEMC9Removal
set TEMP=C:\Temp
if NOT exist %TEMP% MD %TEMP%
set LOGFILE=%TEMP%\%THIS_CMD%.log
if exist %LOGFILE% del %LOGFILE%
set TITLE=%THIS_CMD%
title %TITLE%
cls
echo --------------------------------------------------
echo Removes ALL Roxio/Sonic EMC9 Components
echo.
echo NOTE: Select REMOVE for all components!
echo NOTE: Choose NOT to reboot when prompted!
echo.
echo A log will be here: %LOGFILE%
echo --------------------------------------------------
echo.
echo     REMOVING Roxio Creator Basic v9...
echo. 
MsiExec.exe /I{C8B0680B-CDAE-4809-9F91-387B6DE00F7C} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Creator Audio...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{83FFCFC7-88C6-41c6-8752-958A45325C82} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Creator Copy...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{619CDD8A-14B6-43a1-AB6C-0F4EE48CE048} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Creator Data...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{0D397393-9B50-4c52-84D5-77E344289F87} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Creator Tools...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{0394CDC8-FABD-4ed8-B104-03393876DFDF} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Drag-To-Disc...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{2F4C24E6-CBD4-4AAC-B56F-C9FD44DE5668} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio Express Labeler 3...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{6675CA7F-E51B-4F6A-99D4-F8F0124C6EAA} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Roxio MyDVD Basic v9...
echo        NOTE: Please be patient during the removal of this component
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{938B1CD7-7C60-491E-AA90-1F1888168240} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo     REMOVING Sonic Activation Module...
echo.
MsiExec.exe /I{35E1EC43-D4FC-4E4A-AAB3-20DDA27E8BB0} /l+weaom %LOGFILE%
echo PREPARE to Shutdown/Restart your computer! Close all open programs!
pause
shutdown -r -t 10 -c "Shutdown and Restart for Roxio EMC9 Removal Tool" -f
:END
exit

I was able to pull the registry entries for the uninstallation strings using Revo Uninstaller on a rp5700 with a fresh installed copy of Roxio (non-imaged box). Then I proceeded to search for those same strings on an imaged rp5700 and found most of them. The script will remove everything it possibly can - logging as it goes - and notify you when it is unable to remove a component due to it not being installed.

For your information, I have performed the steps on two imaged RP5700's and of those two one machine removed almost every component and the other removed just the Activation Module - go figure.

I'd really like to know what Roxio is doing during an image and sysprep.

Scott

*RESOLVED*

The solution to the problem is as follows. I wrote a small batch to handle most of the work. Run the batch script and then after the reboot re-install EMC9.

I'd really like to know what Roxio is doing during an image and sysprep.

Scott

Glad you solved the problem. I did some editing in your post above. :rolleyes:

If you can make a small batch or application which will cleanly remove bits and pieces of a broken Roxio install and allow a fresh install with no issues, BOTTLE IT. You'd make a million from frustrated users who are trying to fathom how to do the 'clean install' routine.

Basically if we just forget about the fact that I based this post around a sysprepped image, anyone *should* be able to use this batch to remove EMC9 from their machines.

I do not have copies of any other Roxio software to determine the registry keys of the uninstall strings - all I have is EMC9 and it creates the same keys every installation so the script *should* work regardless.

Glad you solved the problem. I did some editing in your post above.

I didn't mean that in a negative way - just curious how a fully installed program almost completely removes itself after an image? It doesn't make any sense. I could understand the application NOT working, or running into a product key issue, or the activation module hosed - but to be almost completely GONE in some instances and HALF GONE in others? What gives here?

The product is fully intact within the Ghost image file. I cannot imagine that the removal happens during the MiniSetup of XP after the image is dropped on another machine. I can only fathom that the activation module detects a different hardware ID than the original machine it was installed on and is coded to kill the product.

Wild guesess!!

Thanks,

Scott

The product is fully intact within the Ghost image file. I cannot imagine that the removal happens during the MiniSetup of XP after the image is dropped on another machine. I can only fathom that the activation module detects a different hardware ID than the original machine it was installed on and is coded to kill the product.

Wild guesess!!

Thanks,

Scott

This is true, each product install on a specific hardware is tied with a the hardware id. The solution is not workable for retail versions of product and will kill the product via imaging solutions. Hence the reason to procure an enterprise version of the product which is exclusively designed to handle not only image deployment but also various methods.