• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 9 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Sign in to follow this  
dbouchon

Toast 10 Nad Video Streaming Capture...

Question

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to Toast 10 exclusivelly for this feature ... but I'd like to make sure it is going to work for me first.

What type of streaming video can be captured? Any? Even Flash or Silverlight-based videos?

Thanks,

D.

15 answers to this question

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading to Toast 10 exclusivelly for this feature ... but I'd like to make sure it is going to work for me first.

What type of streaming video can be captured? Any? Even Flash or Silverlight-based videos?

Thanks,

D.

Where did it mention capturing? As far as I can tell you can stream your own video's and log into their website to stream the video to another PC, ipod, or iPhone. That's about it.

Where did it mention capturing? As far as I can tell you can stream your own video's and log into their website to stream the video to another PC, ipod, or iPhone. That's about it.

Well, on the Toast 10 produc description page, under the 'watch' tab, it says:

Enjoy Web video anywhere

Save streaming web video from your favorite web sites and burn to DVD for viewing on your big-screen TV. Easily convert web video to other formats for playback on the portable device of your choice and enjoy it anywhere you go.

My understanding is that this is a new feature coming up with Toast 10 ... personally, I would like to capture videos from youtube and dailymotion and turned them into movies for my iPhone ... so I am wondering what streaming videos can actually be captured...

Enjoy Web video anywhere

Save streaming web video from your favorite web sites and burn to DVD for viewing on your big-screen TV. Easily convert web video to other formats for playback on the portable device of your choice and enjoy it anywhere you go.

My understanding is that this is a new feature coming up with Toast 10 ... personally, I would like to capture videos from youtube and dailymotion and turned them into movies for my iPhone ... so I am wondering what streaming videos can actually be captured...

hmm...

it sounds like a great feature..i have 9 just got it like last week!...so not very happy..

but..then again..am not complaining cuz my usage is more for BD authoring..which it does nicely.

for what you are asking maybe try Tooble...

I used it to fetch streaming video (from youtube) and i was then able to just drag the file into Toast 7 and able to author my DVD...

Enjoy Web video anywhere

I really don't think you can save streaming web video with Toast 10. Like I mentioned you can put your own videos in toast and then you will get a link to Roxio's site so you can stream them to your iPhone through the web.

To capture streaming video you can use a program like IshowU and save it to your iPhone. There is also products that will capture youtube videos.

I really don't think you can save streaming web video with Toast 10. Like I mentioned you can put your own videos in toast and then you will get a link to Roxio's site so you can stream them to your iPhone through the web.

To capture streaming video you can use a program like IshowU and save it to your iPhone. There is also products that will capture youtube videos.

This option is accessed through the Web Video setting in the Toast 10 Media Browser. "To capture web video, launch your Web browser and play a clip. If the video is in a supported format it will appear here. Ensure the video has finished streaming completely before adding it to a project."

Thanks - it seems ot be working really well actually.

A couple of more questions on this great feature:

1) when they say: "Ensure the video has finished streaming completely before adding it to a project", do they mean finished streaming in the browser window? Or does the media browser actually do the streaming? How do I know the videao has finished streaming?

2) Where are the video files stored? Not htat it matters too much, but I wanted to see the size they occupy on my hard drive, and could not locate them....

Thanks!!

D.

Thanks - it seems ot be working really well actually.

A couple of more questions on this great feature:

1) when they say: "Ensure the video has finished streaming completely before adding it to a project", do they mean finished streaming in the browser window? Or does the media browser actually do the streaming? How do I know the videao has finished streaming?

2) Where are the video files stored? Not htat it matters too much, but I wanted to see the size they occupy on my hard drive, and could not locate them....

Thanks!!

D.

I'm going to just shoot from the hip here because I've been on the road a lot this week and haven't had time to check things out. I'm pretty sure that you wait until streaming is finished in the Web browser window. As for the save location, Toast usually writes files to the Roxio Converted Items folder which by default is in your Documents folder although it can be located elsewhere via Toast Preferences. There are situations where Toast writes invisible files so I don't know where they might be located if that is the case here.

To get back to the original question, with what websites does this feature work? Is this new functionality equivalent to the Windows-only Replay Media Catcher http://www.applian.com/download-videos/? Does it support the same, or similar, websites http://www.applian.com/recording_solutions/show_RCAT.php?

If it does, at least for me, the upgrade would completely be worth it. So, with which websites have people tested this new feature? Did it only work with Flash, or does it work with Silverlight too? Quicktime Streaming? Hulu? NBC? Fabchannel?

The web video capture feature in Toast 10 works with flash video:

Launch Toast - open the media browser and select web video. Launch a web browser and any flash video will show in Toast 10. That video can then be added to any video or convert project in Toast 10.

It does not support any protected streaming videos (i.e. Silverlight). Also note that there are many video codecs used in flash containers - Toast 10 is able to recognize most of them (I don't have the full list but most of what I've tried so far works great).

As for upgrading - check out the additional apps included in the pro version (best value I've seen).

I am so mortally disappointed in Toast 10 when it comes to this "Save streaming web video from your favorite web sites and burn to DVD for viewing on your big-screen TV. Easily convert web video to other formats for playback on the portable device of your choice and enjoy it anywhere you go." nonsense. It does not support streaming-anything.

Blip.tv - yes.

google/youtube? Yea.

howstuffworks.com? Yup.

espn. uh-huh.

but...

Does it work with NBC.com? No.

Does it work with Fabchannel.com? No.

ABCtv.com? No.

Yahoo? Nope.

Hulu? Not a chance.

What does this mean? Toast 10 does not capture streaming video. There. I said* it.

The websites Toast 10 supports all use static files on a server (typically .flv files) that are downloaded - in full - to your hard drive the instant you start to play them in your browser without any help from Toast. It does not capture a flowing stream of video information that would otherwise not be saved elsewhere on your computer, as Roxio's advertising would lead you to believe. After the videos have been downloaded by your browser, any user can relatively-easily access these videos by using Safari's Activity viewer (Window->Activity then just double-click on the URL-line with the largest file size shown on the right column) or use one of the many free apps designed to make that task a little easier for you. On a basic/abstract level, all Toast does is pull the video file out of your browser's cache. You just don't need to spend $100 to do this. <opinion>Do not buy Toast if this is the crowning feature in your mind.</opinion>

Another way to put this - A youtube video does not need to sustain a constant connection to youtube's server in order for the video to play. Once the video downloads, you can disconnect your computer from the internet and still view the video in its entirety. Streaming video, on the other hand, requires a constant connection with the server in order to be able to view the video. You cannot rewind or jump forward in the video without a connection. Toast works in the former, not the latter, against what their advertisement claims.

Somebody, please, prove me wrong. Can you get Toast 10 to capture true STREAMING video of any kind (flash, quicktime, silverlight)?

P.S. Yes - On some etherial level, would could discuss the technical definition of "streaming" in that all data you download is "streamed" to your computer, but that's not germane to this discussion.

* ok, I wrote it.

I am so mortally disappointed in Toast 10 when it comes to this "Save streaming web video from your favorite web sites and burn to DVD for viewing on your big-screen TV. Easily convert web video to other formats for playback on the portable device of your choice and enjoy it anywhere you go." nonsense. It does not support streaming-anything.

Blip.tv - yes.

google/youtube? Yea.

howstuffworks.com? Yup.

espn. uh-huh.

but...

Does it work with NBC.com? No.

Does it work with Fabchannel.com? No.

ABCtv.com? No.

Yahoo? Nope.

Hulu? Not a chance.

What does this mean? Toast 10 does not capture streaming video. There. I said* it.

The websites Toast 10 supports all use static files on a server (typically .flv files) that are downloaded - in full - to your hard drive the instant you start to play them in your browser without any help from Toast. It does not capture a flowing stream of video information that would otherwise not be saved elsewhere on your computer, as Roxio's advertising would lead you to believe. After the videos have been downloaded by your browser, any user can relatively-easily access these videos by using Safari's Activity viewer (Window->Activity then just double-click on the URL-line with the largest file size shown on the right column) or use one of the many free apps designed to make that task a little easier for you. On a basic/abstract level, all Toast does is pull the video file out of your browser's cache. You just don't need to spend $100 to do this. <opinion>Do not buy Toast if this is the crowning feature in your mind.</opinion>

Another way to put this - A youtube video does not need to sustain a constant connection to youtube's server in order for the video to play. Once the video downloads, you can disconnect your computer from the internet and still view the video in its entirety. Streaming video, on the other hand, requires a constant connection with the server in order to be able to view the video. You cannot rewind or jump forward in the video without a connection. Toast works in the former, not the latter, against what their advertisement claims.

Somebody, please, prove me wrong. Can you get Toast 10 to capture true STREAMING video of any kind (flash, quicktime, silverlight)?

P.S. Yes - On some etherial level, would could discuss the technical definition of "streaming" in that all data you download is "streamed" to your computer, but that's not germane to this discussion.

* ok, I wrote it.

Thanks for enlightening us. I haven't had time yet to play with it but logic does tell me that the video must be capable of being saved to the Mac as a file in order for Toast to transfer it to the Video or Convert window so it can be made into a video DVD or converted to a different format. So any video that only streams and can't be written to the hard drive won't work. Roxio so far has given very little detail about this and other new features (such as Mac2TiVo) so it's impossible to know in advance what is possible and what is not possible.

I'm going to just shoot from the hip here because I've been on the road a lot this week and haven't had time to check things out. I'm pretty sure that you wait until streaming is finished in the Web browser window. As for the save location, Toast usually writes files to the Roxio Converted Items folder which by default is in your Documents folder although it can be located elsewhere via Toast Preferences. There are situations where Toast writes invisible files so I don't know where they might be located if that is the case here.

It's not located in roxio converted items. Any other ideas?

It's not located in roxio converted items. Any other ideas?

Check the following:

/private/var/folders/[2 random characters]/[27 random characters]/TemporaryItems/Toast Web Videos

The "random variables" part varies from computer to computer and you'll need to poke around to find the right folder because there may be several folders matching this model. From the Finder, you can type shift-command-G then type "/private/var/folders" to get yourself started...

Check the following:

/private/var/folders/[2 random characters]/[27 random characters]/TemporaryItems/Toast Web Videos

The "random variables" part varies from computer to computer and you'll need to poke around to find the right folder because there may be several folders matching this model. From the Finder, you can type shift-command-G then type "/private/var/folders" to get yourself started...

Thank you!!!!!

To get back to the original question, with what websites does this feature work? Is this new functionality equivalent to the Windows-only Replay Media Catcher

If it does, at least for me, the upgrade would completely be worth it. So, with which websites have people tested this new feature? Did it only work with Flash, or does it work with Silverlight too? Quicktime Streaming? Hulu? NBC? Fabchannel?

Yeah, flash video is not the only type of videos that we may want to download. Obviously, YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafeand many other video sharing websites are using flash videos. If Toast 10 can works well to record flash videos, then it will download most website videos for offline watching. But when confront with silverlight videos from Hulu, Netflix, NBC, etc, I don’t think Toast 10 can download them all.

Thus, for recording protected videos, the feasible way is to record them from computer screen, that is to record the videos while it is playing to computer hard disk.

Now I am using Streaming Video Recorder to either download videos or record screen video, I think only by integrating these two ways to get web videos, will it be able to help you enjoy online videos off line at most.

Edited by Mariah