• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

fizzlescum

Toast hangs and wont force quit

Question

Has anyone else seen this problem?

If I start burning a DVD, and leave my Mac for an extended time Toast hangs after the burn is finished. i cant quit, force quit, or otherwise. The finished disc image does not mount, and the only I can get it to quit it is to reset the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mac G4 10.3.9

Taost 7.0.2

14 answers to this question

If I start burning a DVD, and leave my Mac for an extended time Toast hangs after the burn is finished. i cant quit, force quit, or otherwise. The finished disc image does not mount, and the only I can get it to quit it is to reset the computer.

Mac G4 10.3.9

Taost 7.0.2

Nobody has any help for me??

Nobody has any help for me??

I don't know what the cause is and I haven't experienced this myself, but it sounds like something went to sleep during this process and doesn't want to wake up. That could be a firmware issue with the drive or an OS issue. I suggest choosing Save as Disc Image from the File menu rather than clicking the burn button. Then burn that image file to the DVD using the Toast Copy window.

You also might check if there is a firmware update available for your drive and experiment with turning off the Energy Saver sleep modes.

Thanks for the input (already knew about Roxann).

I dont have anything else running when I burn to maximize RAM usage. I will try the save disc image as and turn off sleep, also check for firmware updates. Youll here back ifn it doesnt work.

I had no problems mounting a disc image in Toast on my G4 Powerbook, but now have the problem you describe on my MacBook Pro. I can burn the disc or save a disc as a disk image, but can't mount the image.

Running 10.4.6 on MacBook Pro.

Any other thoughts?

No thoughts, but I have exactly the same problem on my Intel iMac. It began after the Security Update last week. Today's firmware (1.0.1) and SMC patches did not help. The machine freezes every time I try to mount a toast or iso file. There were boot issues introduced by the Security Update as well; I'm hoping they were working on those issues first (supposedly the firmware updates will take care of it) and will fix the other issues soon.

The issue turned out not to be the security update, but rather the quicktime update. After reinstalling the OS (twice!) and finally installing every patch but Quicktime 7.1 update, my problem is solved.

The issue turned out not to be the security update, but rather the quicktime update. After reinstalling the OS (twice!) and finally installing every patch but Quicktime 7.1 update, my problem is solved.

So you can now mount Toast disk images? Were you able to mount the disk images prior to the Quicktime update?

So you can now mount Toast disk images? Were you able to mount the disk images prior to the Quicktime update?

I tried the reinstall of the system, but even with QT 7.0.4, I still can't mount the image. When I use the Toast Interface, nothing happens. Trying to use the Utilities menu yielded the following error message:

"Couldn't complete the last command because of a Mac OS Error. Result Code = 192"

Hope they got that Universal Binary in the oven. I think I need it.

Ok, so I am not alone; I am also having the same problem.

Data DVD-R burn hangs with 0:01 remaining, almost every time. I tried a super small DVD to try and isolate the problem with a single 5MB file; that worked fine but produced yet another coaster. That was the only time it didn't fail.

OS X 10.3.9, Toast Titanium 6.1.1

I would tend to agree with the parent poster's: this appears to be an issue related to the most recent Quicktime Update (or security update, although that makes less sense). I experienced no trouble prior that.

The timing is suspect, but I can't rule out that being a coincidence. But since I'm not the only one experiencing this problem...

Mac G4 10.3.9

Taost 7.0.2

Hello, I'm an old-time Unix user. Here's something that might help you: Start X11, & make the window full height. At the prompt, type "top" & hit the return (without the quotes).

Look for the "Toast Tita" entry under the column labelled "COMMAND" and note the PID number (LHS of the window)

Then, open a new X11 window, and at the prompt, type "kill -9 PID" & return.

The Toast app will die immediately, freeing your system. Personally, I've never experienced your problem, but the pprocedure to kill any app from the Unix layer works every time.

Hello, I'm an old-time Unix user. Here's something that might help you: Start X11, & make the window full height. At the prompt, type "top" & hit the return (without the quotes).

Look for the "Toast Tita" entry under the column labelled "COMMAND" and note the PID number (LHS of the window)

Then, open a new X11 window, and at the prompt, type "kill -9 PID" & return.

The Toast app will die immediately, freeing your system. Personally, I've never experienced your problem, but the pprocedure to kill any app from the Unix layer works every time.

Yes this solves the hanging Toast Titanium, but the burn doesn't finish properly and one is left with a coaster for the DVD-R. Also, I've had to put the computer to sleep and re-awaken it to get the bad disc to eject after killing toast.

My solution: I switched to NTI Dragon Burn and haven't encountered any trouble yet.

Mac G4 10.3.9

Taost 7.0.2

This thread seems to have gone off-topic, but I am having the same issue as the original poster. The typical scenario is that I am burning something and another person switches users on the machine. When I come back to "my side" (i.e. switch users back to me), the burn is finished, but Toast has hung and won't quit. I need to Force Quit Toast. It is kind of annoying. Currrently using Tiger and Toast 7.1, but this has been a problem with all versions of Toast 7.