Roxio 6 No Longer Recognising It's Own Discs

pnm

I've got a client who has been using Roxio 6 successfully for a while, but it's started to fail in a weird way. Her workflow hasn't changed: Format the CD, copy files across piecemeal as required, eject the disk and select 'make this disk readable in all other computers'.

The resultant disc now shows properly in other computers, the files are present and usable, but when the disc is inserted back into the machine that originally burnt it, it's reported as a blank disc. Try the disc in another machine again and it still works fine; it just won't work on the machine that made it. I've left her with instructions to dig out the installer CD and try reinstalling, but I'm wondering if there may be another cause of the problem that I'm unaware of. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks,

- Paul

Paul,

From your description your client is using 'Drag to Disc'. This writing system is very hard on rewriteable discs, causing them to fail a lot earlier than you might expect. The problem is caused by the program writing and rewriting some system areas of the disc every time you add a file. If it is one particular disc which is showing this behavior, that disc may be failing and should be replaced.

If all discs she writes are behaving this way, something strange might be happening to the writer or the software. Hopefully a reinstall of Drag to Disc will rule out or restore the software, but Drag to Disc has been known to behave oddly from time to time. [Read the forums here and you will see zillions of posts from one odd user who used it once and lost data, and now won't let us forget it.]

I would suggest that using Creator Classic would be a lot more reliable. It makes standard discs that can be read on any PC without having to be pre-formatted or "made readable" afterwards. You write a bunch of files at a time ['session'] and leave the disc open so you can write more sessions later. If it's a rewriteable, when the disc gets full you erase it instead of reformatting it.

It's not quite as convenient as Drag to Disc, but it's a whole lot more reliable and it's not so hard on rewriteable discs.

Regards,

Brendon

Brendon is correct about the unreliability of Packet-Writng (DragwDisc, Sonic's DLA, Nero's InCD), but if other computers can read it, it doesn't sound like that is the issue here.

(And the reason I have repeatedly commented on the unreliability of Packet-Writing si the large number of people who have come here trying to figure out where their data disappered to after using Packet-Writing.)

Can similar discs written on other computers be read on the client's computer? It may be the burner is getting ready for it's trip to that great recycling bin in the sky.

Lynn

Thanks for your quick, lucid replies.

The customer is using CD-Rs not CD-RWs, and is essentially archiving files piecemeal. We have since moved away from packet-writing in our recommendations for archiving due to frequent problems with it, but with our older installs people are still using the old process. I thought that packet-writing was unlikely to be the culprit in this case as well (due to the discs being visible on other PCs), but I've seen changing away from that method fix some esoteric issues in the past.

The reinstall and a change in brand of CD-Rs failed to fix the problem, and unfortunately the burner is a non-removable laptop drive. I think I'll write up a new procedure for them that will use disc-at-once instead of packet-writing and see how that goes.

Thanks,

- Paul