• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Blu-ray Motion Menus On Dvdit Pro Hd

Lucifer

Question

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has managed to output DvdIt Motion Menus on Blu-Ray?

Whenever I put an .mpg file into the Menu background, the menu's become unselectable after they are burnt onto a bd disc.

Everything works fine on the simuation mode. A DVD version of the same project also works perfectly.

I use cyberlink powerDVD 8 ultra for playback (latest)

The only way I can make a Blu-ray disc is NOT to uses Motion Menu's at the moment.

Any help appreciated!

Windows XP and Vista

Sony bwu 300s

MC3

DvdIt pro HD 6.3

Cyberlink powerDVD 8 ultra for playback

Hey, CiscoHeat.

I use Liquid 7 to send HiDef video to DVDitHD using mjolnarn's recommendation. I get great results with motion menus, and burning in general.

Did you modify the Standard MJPEG preset into two separate presets...one for video, one for audio so that you have elementary streams?? I agree, the fused output (.m2v) is not compliant and therefore not valid for motion menus, although I have used the m2v's to create blu-rays with still background menus and they work fine.

Regards,

John

very good that it works as well for you as for me John, I can see that Encore is mentioned, I have tried that of course and even created some H 264 bd discs but I see nog big favors in doing that, I haven´t had a bad disc from Dvdit Pro hd during the last years, it all works very well, you must take care of your editing sys of course.

Hi Danny,

Have you tried putting a hd .mpg file into the background and output'd to BLU-Ray?

DVD projects work correctly for me too!

Lucio

hi lucio,

yes, I have!

Very important for authoring-apps in gerneral is to have ELEMENTARY STREAMS and not programm-streams or transport-streams.

it was working fine.l

danny

Have another update:

I have burned 5 total blu-ray projects. 3 had motion menus, 2 did not. Now, all of a sudden, I'm trying to burn my 4th blu-ray project with a motion menu...no luck.

Anyway, I finally figured out what was different with the motion menu projects. In the previous 3, the source files were all on a different drive than the project and the output files. So, I tried this, and it actually worked. I was able to write the volume!

With all this said...due to chaning so many things and still having some hiccups, I'm not in the process of re-installing windows and all my programs from the ground up. Hopefully that alone will help, but the above might get someone a little further if they have to get something out in a hurry!

SB

Wanted to give the group an update.

1) I deleted all my videos but some really really short avi that have our company logo.

2) I tried to burn a volume with no menu - SUCCESS

3) I tried to burn a volume with a still menu - SUCCESS

4) I tried to burn a volume with my motion menu - FAILURE

5) I tried outputting several different types of menus - MIXED (this is the odd part, sometimes one might work, another time it might not, with nothing changing inbetween).

6) Tried to burn a volume with all my video except the motion menu - SUCCESS

So...why the motion menu? I came across another forum topic talking about defragmenting...well...lets just say to protect my integrety...I'm not going to report how many fragments some of these files were in. Anyway, I don't know if this is the common thread or not, but I can say that either way (the video files were in more fragments than the menu), motion menus appear to be delicate. Once I defrag, I'm going to see if the last menu I created that worked will work again with the entire project. It is my speculation that the only reason people are getting good results some times and bad others is due to this reason. We might be tricking ourselves into believing its for other reasons...but right now, I'm trying everything (including creating my menu with a lower CBR and 1920 x 1080i).

I'll keep you all posted.

SB

In the interest of thoroughness, I'm reporting back the results of my experimentation on motion menus.

I have concluded that background menu video must be "compliant" according to DVDit. I had been using MPEG2 coded streams and would always get that non-compliant warning. I told DVDit to convert 'em and it always worked and produced terrific results (with titles.) Besides, I always thought that the non-compliant warning meant that some transcoding was necessary and that DVDit would make it work. (Which appears to be true for titles, but not motion menus.)

Now, I'm wrestling with the codec delimma. I use Pinnacle Liquid to edit. The "compliant" video is a MJPEG codec (Thanks to mjolnarn on the Liquid forum.) My non-compliant video is an MPEG2 codec, but all of the knobs (variables) available to me to manipulate are all the same: 1902x1080, Top field first, etc.

Remember that class you had in High School, something about the "new" math...and it never made any sense to me. I think that the people who passed that class, must have become codec builders when they grew up, 'cause next to nothing about codecs makes sense to me.

Since I don't do this video stuff professionally, I'm happy when things work. I'd rather leave the technical stuff alone.

Regards,

John

Sorry its been awhile...plugging away at catching up. Its amazing how backed up you get when on process doesn't work! Anyway, I completely re-installed my entire computer from the ground up. Not something I like doing. At first, I had some catastrophic errors, but with a system roll back (to the newer system...minus some of the latest drivers I must have installed), DVDit Pro HD started working again...and working relatively well. I created several Blu-rays all with motion menus. The odd part was that the audio and video didn't sync up quite right. It wasn't a big deal, just kept playing video after the audio was over (it was as if it slowed down the video somehow). All my projects did this. I found that if I checked the box to fade out, it at least wasn't abrubt. Maybe it wasn't really slowing down the video but cutting the audio short, I don't know.

Anyway...I was several projects behind...so I had to go for it...and off they went. Now...I just recently received the dredded AS_Storage_Error message again. Don't know why.

I certainly need to find some other solution. I liked DVDit Pro quite a bit, and the end result looks really really great. I like its simplicity as well, but if its not going to create motion menus with blu-rays...I either need to not create motion menus...or find something else. Very dissapointing. So close yet so far. I just don't understand what's going on. Its like I get so many blu-ray burns and then I'm done.

I'll try to keep everyone updated, and I appreciate all the tips and advice...

To answer the question specifically answered to me above:

I create an m2v file from Liquid 7 at 35 mbps. This comes with its own 4 wav files which I delete. I then create a seperate wav file and import the two seperately into DVDitPro HD. There is an index file as well. It doesn't seem to care if I have that file present or not for DVDitProHD, but liquid likes it if I import it, so I usually keep it. I've tried mjolnarn's method prior...but I'm more than willing to try things again in case I missed something. What specifically are you changing in the preset? I just don't understand if something was wrong why it would only affect the motion menus??

Thanks,

SB

Hey, CiscoHeat.

I use Liquid 7 to send HiDef video to DVDitHD using mjolnarn's recommendation. I get great results with motion menus, and burning in general.

Did you modify the Standard MJPEG preset into two separate presets...one for video, one for audio so that you have elementary streams?? I agree, the fused output (.m2v) is not compliant and therefore not valid for motion menus, although I have used the m2v's to create blu-rays with still background menus and they work fine.

Regards,

John

ciscoheat,

Mjolnarn's recommendation was to modify the MJPEG preset which is under the output to AVI menu. I took the existing preset, upped the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and set the quality level to 100. I then selected on the options tab: video only and saved that as a new preset. I then changed the options tab to audio only and saved that as a new preset. Using these new presets, I would export a sequence twice; once as the video only and again as audio only. It's sounding much like what you are doing to .m2v files and .wav files, doesn't it?

Except when I was using .m2v and .wav; my motion menu background wasn't working. (I've forgotton the errors I was getting.....) When I used the .AVI and .WAV technique, the motion background would work. I'm not technical enough to explain the whys and what nots, I just found that it worked.

Hope this helps.

John

I just recently built a 1/2 full BD project and during build time, right around

the time it mentions "db" files being built, it would say it got interrupted would

I like to cancel or continue. continue of course does nothing.

if it saves anyone any time, I had HD and SD content mixed in the Blu-Ray project.

removing the SD videos and encoding them as HD then adding them again solved

the problem and the volume creation succeeded.

running 6.4b

Very good that all seems to work well for you John, you can even use embedded audio into that avi file if you want to use it directly into Dvdit, a separate wav file is of course nice to have if you are running it through any audio editing app before exporting - importing it into dvdit.

OT I really like the ability in Adobe Soundbooth to be able to lasso, for example, mobile phone signals, and drag the sound of them down to zero

To SB, the 4 audio files that you are getting is due to your audio routing settings, try with some other different settings, you should be able to get 3 files named *1 *2 and *s where the *s file should be twice as big as the other two and is the stereo file , the others are single channel files ( could be used as standalone files in dvdit of course if you have been working only with same sound on both channels )

I might be having the same problem (see previous post - http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?...p;#entry269407). I evidently have non compliant videos and they are the motion menu too. I've always had some difficulties burning Blu-rays (never DVDs), but have managed to create three projects prior...I just don't know what I did to get them to work. I know one of them didn't have any motion menus at all (it was a export test...by the way, DVDit Pro can take streams up to 80 mbps...just seemingly knocks it down to something lower, but man...I wish it could take 4:2:2 color!). I think the other two were successful after I simply recreated the entire project. That kind of sounds similar to what an earlier post said about having the same name. I also know the very first project created kept the "extra files" in the folder (which I thought would make the files a stream instead of elemetry from Liquid, but that didn't appear to be the case). Anyway...I keep getting the generic error and this time can't figure it out. I'm going to check the version I'm using again (thought it was the latest). I also just recently downloaded the PS3 patch...so I hope that didn't do something negative (just doesn't seem like the likely culprit).

Anyway...I have a lot of projects to create on Blu-ray...so I should have a fairly good test bed. I'll try to keep the group informed on what I'm doing and what I'm finding, but any suggestions and inputs would be appreciated.

SB

Have another update:

I have burned 5 total blu-ray projects. 3 had motion menus, 2 did not. Now, all of a sudden, I'm trying to burn my 4th blu-ray project with a motion menu...no luck.

Anyway, I finally figured out what was different with the motion menu projects. In the previous 3, the source files were all on a different drive than the project and the output files. So, I tried this, and it actually worked. I was able to write the volume!

With all this said...due to chaning so many things and still having some hiccups, I'm not in the process of re-installing windows and all my programs from the ground up. Hopefully that alone will help, but the above might get someone a little further if they have to get something out in a hurry!

SB

I am not certain why all the problems with motion menu backgrounds. When I edit a project (I use Edius 5.0) I will edit the entire movie - output it to the appropriate blu-ray format and then add on a 30-40 second clip (just the video usually) at the end of the timeline and output that with the same parameters as the original movie and save it for later use. Of course, elementary stream is of utmost importance. I have made over 30 blu-ray projects in the last couple of years and they all had motion menu backgrounds and motion chapter buttons and not a single problem. I have all my movies, project files and source files on the same RAID 0 drive. Be sure, though, that there is not heavy fragmentation of your source files - even on a RAID 0 drive this can cause problems and not allow the volume to be written.

Hi SB,

I'm sorry you are having so many problems.

I think I have had every error possible with this program and finding "work-arounds" has only led to other problems (especially with ver 6.4)

After battling and losing countless hours trying to get this program to work properly, I have finally decided to move on to adobe encore.

For me, Encore can do everything Dvdit does, seems much more reliable and has popup menus.

Unfortunately, you have to buy encore as part of a package with premier etc, which makes it expensive. But when you consider the amount of time wasted trying getting bluray to work with Dvdit, the alternative seems more attractive.

Best of luck

Lucio

Let me elaborate a little more. Lucio, I would also like to know some details about what you are using as we are seemingly having the same problems...maybe we can find a common thread.

To test this, I've been using 2 files (m2v files created from Avid Liquid 7.2). I'll create a simple menu linking to one of the files and use the other file as the background to the menu (making it a motion menu). Both of these files are short (less than 30 seconds) and encoded the same (m2v @ 25 mbps - 1440 X 1080 - Top Field First). By the way...yes...I realized that this isn't a compliant format, but nothing from Avid Liquid is! It doesn't appear to matter what I do though. I've used all kinds of formats (including a method from mjolnarn). I've used Smetware's 35 mbps m2v files with no luck either. All of these files are elementry too. Obviously, since this whole project is less than a GB, I don't think defragmentation is my issue...however, the drive I'm working on (C Drive - remember, just reformatted) is completely clean of major fragmentation.

Now, with that said, this is what I can do:

With the motion menu, I can create a volume and create an image but I can not burn from either nor from the project.

With a still menu (only using one video file then), I can create a volume, image, burn from both and burn from the project.

SD has no problem at all, it can burn all the above. I even tried making a motion menu with just a button annimation - no luck!

So, I'm using Avid Liquid 7.2 outputting in the standard m2v 25mbps setting. I do have smetware's m2v codecs.

I have an LG Blu-ray player with cyberlink burning software.

I'm pretty sure its not the burner, but would need a software tool that can burn gi files to prove that. I also think the files I'm creating from Avid Liquid are ok (they work without a motion menu). The only way I can test that though is to either use a different file for the motion menu (might try downloading random SD files for that - oh...I did try an old SD DV file too - no luck). That or if someone could test one of my files. None the less, this seems to point to a specific problem with software right around burning time with DVDit Pro HD (may not be its fault - but something is preventing me from burning!). Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated...this is driving me nuts!!

SB

Just thought I would update this issue for the common good.

This problem ceased to be an issue with the montecarlo ps3 fix on version 6.3

Version 6.4 is even better. ie: The disc plays correctly on a sony s350 and for the first time a bwu-300 writer and cyberlink software.

hi lucio,

yes, I have!

Very important for authoring-apps in gerneral is to have ELEMENTARY STREAMS and not programm-streams or transport-streams.

it was working fine.l

danny

Hi Danny,

I am using Elementary streams directly from Media Composer3. Everything works perfectly unless I put a motion menu into the background, i can then not select the menus after the burn but can on the simulation.

What software are you using to play back the final BD disc?

Lucio

I, also, am unable to build a bluray using motion menus. In my case, I always get that meaningless message that the process had an error or was interrupted, Try again or Cancel. (Sheees, who writes this stuff?) All I've every done is replace the motion menu with a still background and the project burns.

Surely, some of you experts out there are getting motion menus to work on blurays?? Anybody??

By the way, I always burn a Volume first. I never burn a disk directly, if that contributes to the problem?

John

Very good that it works well for both of you, I am creating bluray´s from both Liquid and MC now and all works well.

And, I think I was the one in the class that the others used to ask during the math lessons ...

and Lucio, from media Composer, try with doing a full transcode of your ready edited hd sequense in Media Composer to a 120 DnxHd codec, be sure to include the audio, drag that sequense to any of the viewers and do an export from that window as a quick time ref file colour 609 instead, a much easier workflow

Hi mjolnarn and Bigmac,

I have always exported my sequences from Avid to Qt Ref after transcoding to a 120 DnxHd codec and then used Sorenson to make the .mpg files in the past.

Exporting an .mpg directly from the Avid and let Dvdit do the transcoding seemed to be far simpler and more productive.

After more experimenting, I found that the motion-menu does not work if you try to insert a 1440x1080 (hdv) dvdit compliant file into the Background, however if the file is 1920x1080 (same as the menu resolution) it will work without probs.

(I am only talking about blu-ray here, I have not had any issues with normal DVD's)

Can anyone confirm this?

Hi John,

Just a thought... that meaningless message could be a "file is in use error" (if you tried to replace a previously saved file to create an volume or .iso)

You may want to try again and save the volume/ .iso under a different name.

Also, I seem to remember a strange error like you mentioned whenever I was running low on disk space.

I've now found that bluray motion menus will work inside Frames, so I'm re-authoring the project using them instead of putting the movie into the background. Not as good, but it'll have to do for now...

Hope this helps

Lucio

In the interest of thoroughness, I'm reporting back the results of my experimentation on motion menus.

I have concluded that background menu video must be "compliant" according to DVDit. I had been using MPEG2 coded streams and would always get that non-compliant warning. I told DVDit to convert 'em and it always worked and produced terrific results (with titles.) Besides, I always thought that the non-compliant warning meant that some transcoding was necessary and that DVDit would make it work. (Which appears to be true for titles, but not motion menus.)

Now, I'm wrestling with the codec delimma. I use Pinnacle Liquid to edit. The "compliant" video is a MJPEG codec (Thanks to mjolnarn on the Liquid forum.) My non-compliant video is an MPEG2 codec, but all of the knobs (variables) available to me to manipulate are all the same: 1902x1080, Top field first, etc.

Remember that class you had in High School, something about the "new" math...and it never made any sense to me. I think that the people who passed that class, must have become codec builders when they grew up, 'cause next to nothing about codecs makes sense to me.

Since I don't do this video stuff professionally, I'm happy when things work. I'd rather leave the technical stuff alone.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your findings. I too have concluded that the file has to be compliant with Dvdit.

I use media composer 3 to edit HDV, I then export the material as a Hdv .mpeg file. The critical intermediate step was to transcode the HDV long gop file to another (in this case Avid dnx-hd) within the Avid editor; it then becomes a more compliant sort of mpeg that Dvdit can handle.

I don't ever remember having to do this with earlier versions of Avid and I'm not sure how much quality I'm losing but the blu-ray version looks really good.

Finally, I can get back to editing!

Regards

Lucio

Let me elaborate a little more. Lucio, I would also like to know some details about what you are using as we are seemingly having the same problems...maybe we can find a common thread.

To test this, I've been using 2 files (m2v files created from Avid Liquid 7.2). I'll create a simple menu linking to one of the files and use the other file as the background to the menu (making it a motion menu). Both of these files are short (less than 30 seconds) and encoded the same (m2v @ 25 mbps - 1440 X 1080 - Top Field First). By the way...yes...I realized that this isn't a compliant format, but nothing from Avid Liquid is! It doesn't appear to matter what I do though. I've used all kinds of formats (including a method from mjolnarn). I've used Smetware's 35 mbps m2v files with no luck either. All of these files are elementry too. Obviously, since this whole project is less than a GB, I don't think defragmentation is my issue...however, the drive I'm working on (C Drive - remember, just reformatted) is completely clean of major fragmentation.

Now, with that said, this is what I can do:

With the motion menu, I can create a volume and create an image but I can not burn from either nor from the project.

With a still menu (only using one video file then), I can create a volume, image, burn from both and burn from the project.

SD has no problem at all, it can burn all the above. I even tried making a motion menu with just a button annimation - no luck!

So, I'm using Avid Liquid 7.2 outputting in the standard m2v 25mbps setting. I do have smetware's m2v codecs.

I have an LG Blu-ray player with cyberlink burning software.

I'm pretty sure its not the burner, but would need a software tool that can burn gi files to prove that. I also think the files I'm creating from Avid Liquid are ok (they work without a motion menu). The only way I can test that though is to either use a different file for the motion menu (might try downloading random SD files for that - oh...I did try an old SD DV file too - no luck). That or if someone could test one of my files. None the less, this seems to point to a specific problem with software right around burning time with DVDit Pro HD (may not be its fault - but something is preventing me from burning!). Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated...this is driving me nuts!!

SB

Archived