• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

bhast2

Divx In Toast 10?

Question

I installed Toast 10 today. Glad I didn't uninstall Toast 9. My question is what happen to the Divx option to burn stuff cause that is the only option I use mostly in Toast but now it is gone in Toast 10. Is there a plug-in I have to get to use it or is it not with Toast anymore

Bad move to remove Divx burn option.

Is there another way to burn Divx files in Toast 10?

18 answers to this question

Same problem here. I was surprised that Divx wasn't included in Toast.

But you still can find video cd and super video cd in Toast 10, but no Divx?

Edited by awesomemac

I'm guessing you can add your DivX or avi files to a DVD-ROM (UDF) data formatted disc.

Could someone with Toast 10 let us know?

Thanks.

I can confirm that you can burn DIVX files with DVD-ROM(UDF) and they will work in my divx dvd player

Cheers now I can uninstall version 9

I can confirm that you can burn DIVX files with DVD-ROM(UDF) and they will work in my divx dvd player

What you can't do in Toast 10 is encode other formats to DivX. That still will require Toast 9.

Edited by tsantee

Ok, but I have lots of avi files. Is it also possible to use DVD-ROM(UDF) to burn the avi files and then use it in a Divx player?

Or do I have to convert the avi files to Divx?

Ok, but I have lots of avi files. Is it also possible to use DVD-ROM(UDF) to burn the avi files and then use it in a Divx player?

Or do I have to convert the avi files to Divx?

I'm not really sure. Many AVI's are already DivX files but others use codecs that likely cannot be read by a DivX-certified player. If you look at the AVI's in the Toast Media Browser or add them to the Video window you will see a description that includes DivX if that is the encoding codec that was used. (In the Media Browser you need to select a title and click the eye icon in the lower right to see a file description. One I've checked states "DivX Movie File" right below the video's title.

I also don't know if there are some other MPEG 4 formats that can be played by DivX-certified players. DivX sells a standalone encoder if you don't have Toast 8 or 9.

What you can't do in Toast 10 is encode other formats to DivX. That still will require Toast 9.

Whoa whoa whoa! I have Toast 9 and I was just about to purchase Toast 10 when I read this.

So you're saying that in Toast 10 we cannot burn our AVI or MPG files to a DivX CD or DVD? Even though this feature works beautifully in Toast 9.

Any comments from Roxio on why they would remove a major functionality from Toast 10?

Kupe

Perhaps the [high?] cost of licensing the DivX codecs in a commercial product?

Well, I might buy that, except that Toast is NOT an inexpensive product to purchase. In addition, upgrades average 80% or so of the price of the full product- i.e. $79 vs. $99. I've been averaging one expensive upgrade a year for many years with Toast- so seeing THE feature I use the most disappear is hard to buy.

Kupe

Whoa whoa whoa! I have Toast 9 and I was just about to purchase Toast 10 when I read this.

So you're saying that in Toast 10 we cannot burn our AVI or MPG files to a DivX CD or DVD? Even though this feature works beautifully in Toast 9.

Any comments from Roxio on why they would remove a major functionality from Toast 10?

Kupe

You're not going to get an answer from Roxio. Over the years I know it's not the kind of question they address in the forums. I'm disappointed, too, that I have to keep Toast 9 for the DivX encoding.

I'm speculating the reason(s) had to do with customer research about how little this feature was used in Toast, licensing fees, compatibility issues with other Toast features, and/or the much-greater emphasis on h.264 rather than DivX for Mac users. All those guesses could be wrong, of course.

I'm speculating the reason(s) had to do with customer research about how little this feature was used in Toast, licensing fees, compatibility issues with other Toast features, and/or the much-greater emphasis on h.264 rather than DivX for Mac users. All those guesses could be wrong, of course.

Well, I'm open minded to different ways to approach a problem. The reason I like DivX CDs and DVDs is because

a) I can burn them in about 1/10th the time of a conventional video DVD

B) my setup DVD player can play them

c) I can put literally dozens (even hundreds) of AVIs or MPGs on one DivX DVD

So, I guess my question is, is there a similar solution in Toast 10 for burning AVIs and MPGs to disk that meet a) and B) and c) above?

Kupe

Edited by kupe

Well, I'm open minded to different ways to approach a problem. The reason I like DivX CDs and DVDs is because

a) I can burn them in about 1/10th the time of a conventional video DVD

B) my setup DVD player can play them

c) I can put literally dozens (even hundreds) of AVIs or MPGs on one DivX DVD

So, I guess my question is, is there a similar solution in Toast 10 for burning AVIs and MPGs to disk that meet a) and B) and c) above?

Kupe

My reason for choosing DivX is different: they take less space than MPEG 2 on my MediaGate's hard drive even though they take longer to encode. But the MediaGate can't play h.264.

If you can't get your hands on Toast 8 or 9 then go to macupdate.com and search for DivX to see what else may meet your needs.

Edited by tsantee

My reason for choosing DivX is different: they take less space than MPEG 2 on my MediaGate's hard drive even though they take longer to encode. But the MediaGate can't play h.264.

If you can't get your hands on Toast 8 or 9 then go to macupdate.com and search for DivX to see what else may meet your needs.

Toast 10 does not ENCODE DivX files, but you can do the following without problem:

1) Burn existing DivX video to a disc for playback on your DivX-compatible set top player

This process is no different than in previous versions of Toast, you should use the Mac & PC or DVD-ROM UDF disc format, add your files to the Content area and burn.

2) Convert DivX files to other formats or burn to DVD, BD, AVCHD on DVD

By installing the free DivX decoder from www.divx.com (click FREE DOWNLOAD) you can add DivX files to any video project within Toast. You can use these files, just as you always have, as a video source for burning DVD-Video, Blu-ray discs, or convert them to another format such as for your iPhone or iPod.

Toast 10 does not ENCODE DivX files, but you can do the following without problem:

1) Burn existing DivX video to a disc for playback on your DivX-compatible set top player

This process is no different than in previous versions of Toast, you should use the Mac & PC or DVD-ROM UDF disc format, add your files to the Content area and burn.

A third alternative is to download a program called ffmpegX which does any number of

video file conversions (including at least 4 different options for DIVX playable files) and makes the conversions

MUCH quicker than either Toast OR DIVX converter. The program costs $15 to activate some advanced options,

but works just fine as FREEWARE for the needs of most people.

The only drawback is that you have to carefully read the online documentation or utilize its online forum on Videohelp.com (which is a great resource for all video burners as well.)

By installing the free DivX decoder from www.divx.com (click FREE DOWNLOAD) you can add DivX files to any video project within Toast. You can use these files, just as you always have, as a video source for burning DVD-Video, Blu-ray discs, or convert them to another format such as for your iPhone or iPod.

Thank you for telling me I can do things other than what I want to do.

Even if the loss of DivX encoding was because the DivX people made DivX 7 intel only, there is still no excuse for not making this profound change in functionality clear.

Edited by Mummer

Thank you for telling me I can do things other than what I want to do.

Even if the loss of DivX encoding was because the DivX people made DivX 7 intel only, there is still no excuse for not making this profound change in functionality clear.

Remember that if you have Toast 8 or 9 you can still use it for DivX encoding and use Toast 10 for everything else.