daffodil

Disc To Small

Question

I put together two mounted disc images in DVD Video. Together 4.49 GB. Selected "fit to DVD compression. Could not burn on a 4.7 GB disc, got the warning : need a 4.79 disc, this one is 4.38 GB. Can I teach Popcorn 3 to accept this type of disc?

Daffodil

20 answers to this question

Does it refer to "disc" or "disk"? How much hard drive space is available?

My hard disk has 188 GB. I referred to a DVD recordable disc.

Daffodil

1. Uncheck the "Fit to DVD" option.

2. If you have option to save as a Disc Image, do so instead of burning it to a DVD first.

3. Then use the saved Disc Image file to burn to a SL media.

I put together two mounted disc images in DVD Video. Together 4.49 GB. Selected "fit to DVD compression. Could not burn on a 4.7 GB disc, got the warning : need a 4.79 disc, this one is 4.38 GB. Can I teach Popcorn 3 to accept this type of disc?

Daffodil

The true capacity of a 4.7 GB DVD is 4.39 GB. What you need to do is choose Save as Disc Image. When that is done choose the disc image using the Image File setting and the Fit-to-DVD will do the small additional compression needed to fit the DVD.

The true capacity of a 4.7 GB DVD is 4.39 GB. What you need to do is choose Save as Disc Image. When that is done choose the disc image using the Image File setting and the Fit-to-DVD will do the small additional compression needed to fit the DVD.

I have this exact problem with Toast 10, and this was my first attempt at sorting it out but unfortunately the additional compression never happens. Has anyone any idea if Roxio will address such a problem?

I'm asking here since the engine in Popcorn is clearly going to be based on the same code as Toast, and the issue is rather odd. If compression in one language all is well, if compressing in another even with all extras removed suddenly it can no longer fit to disc. Sounds very much like an error in the program right?

Thanks!

Any info on a patch? I ended up buying the rather more expensive DL discs to solve my problem, which is exactly the opposite reason to why I spent nearly €100 on Toast 10.

The program is of course new, I did not realise that when I bought it. As glad as I am of having the newest version and generally happy with it's function, some news would go a long way to knowing if I can even recommend this program to anyone else.

Any info on a patch? I ended up buying the rather more expensive DL discs to solve my problem, which is exactly the opposite reason to why I spent nearly €100 on Toast 10.

The program is of course new, I did not realise that when I bought it. As glad as I am of having the newest version and generally happy with it's function, some news would go a long way to knowing if I can even recommend this program to anyone else.

There is no need for a patch because Popcorn does the compression from an existing VIDEO_TS folder (or a disc image or DVD that contains a VIDEO_TS folder). Please explain the steps you've taken and I'll help you figure out how to get this to work.

There is no need for a patch because Popcorn does the compression from an existing VIDEO_TS folder (or a disc image or DVD that contains a VIDEO_TS folder). Please explain the steps you've taken and I'll help you figure out how to get this to work.

Sorry for the slow reply, I thought the board was going to e-mail me about any replies. My fault.

This is Toast 10 which I understand incorporates the Popcorn tech (please tell me if I am wrong)

I have some discs which are in English/French/German Dolby and several subtitle languages. CSS free VIDEO_TS on the HDD, between 6/8 GB each depending on the disc. I Want to watch them at work in English and my girlfriend want's to do the same at her clinic in German, since we both work shifts in places that you would not want to leave DVD's about because of potential damage.

I have told Toast 10 to remove the French Dolby leaving English and German, similarly removing all other subtitles. Toast then tells me on only some of the discs that the result is too big for a single layer DVD-R. I then removed all extras and the same problem occurs.

What makes it bizarre is that if I ask it to compress only English with ALL subs and ALL extras there is no problem. If I do the same with only German audio it becomes too big again.

Somewhere along the line it would seem that Toast/Popcorn has tripped up when selecting custom settings. If it can compress English with all extras I really do not see why it can not then compress German only with NO extras!

In windows before I have used DVD Shrink, and various others in Linux / Windows. These days I use OS X only and chose to buy Toast 10 despite the high price over apps like DVD2OneX because I had heard it was generally a good suite of applications. And aside this and the CD Spin Doctor 6 stream recording problem I do tend to agree. But the primary use I intended was to crush down DVD's!

Compressing to Image and then trying to re-compress again also does not work.

I hope this is enough info, thanks!

Toast does not do any fit-to-DVD compression until after the video has been authored into a new VIDEO_TS folder. After you choose the settings you want then choose Save as Disc Image. When that is finished select the disc image using the Image File setting in the Toast Copy window. Toast then will "requantize" the video and burn it to a single-layer DVD.

I haven't tried selecting specific audio tracks. I thought Toast only could choose one language or all languages. But apparently you've seen that you can pick multiple but not all audio tracks. I've learned something new.

As I say, save to image then re-compress does not work.

These are VIDEO_TS folders, all of which are over the limit for a single layer DVD-R. Some compress fine, others do not. There has not been any pattern I can see thus far. It just fails claiming the target disc is going to be too small. This happens weather burning directly to blank media or to a disc image.

As I say, save to image then re-compress does not work.

These are VIDEO_TS folders, all of which are over the limit for a single layer DVD-R. Some compress fine, others do not. There has not been any pattern I can see thus far. It just fails claiming the target disc is going to be too small. This happens weather burning directly to blank media or to a disc image.

I've gone back through your posts and do not find a clear description of what steps you are following in Toast. Is this one VIDEO_TS folder that you're trying to compress to fit a single-layer DVD or are you combining content from multiple VIDEO_TS folders?

If the content is from a single VIDEO_TS folder and it does not include PCM audio then I cannot think of any reason why it cannot be burned to a single-layer DVD using the Fit-to-DVD compression. PCM audio is uncompressed and takes up a lot of space on a disc which can leave too little space available for the video on a single-layer disc. Toast/Popcorn's Fit-to-DVD only compresses the video stream and not the audio stream.

Obviously if there is content from multiple VIDEO_TS folders then the amount of compression required can exceed the maximum compression that Popcorn or Toast can accomplish. If the content is from multiple VIDEO_TS folders it cannot be more than what will fit a dual-layer disc without additional compression.

I don't know why this is being so troublesome. Maybe you're doing everything right and following the same process with the same steps that would work for me on my Mac. Why it isn't working for you is a mystery to me.

When you placed the disc image in the Copy window and clicked the burn button what did Toast tell you?

Edited by tsantee

This is 1 to 1 disc duping.

Video and Audio compression is not new to me, although obviously I am not claiming to understand it in great detail, which is why I bought Toast. But these issues do not seem entirely logical.

I am however fairly certain the problem is within the application. I say Fairly sure because it seems ridiculous that one language (that Toast would see as the main one) and all video extras can be compressed where one alternate language and NO video extras is thought to be too big.

And I must admit to not being entirely happy with the way Toast deals with DVD re-compression. That it tells me there will be no menus simple because one language track is removed is not something any other program I have used has done. And having to de-select the same language tracks and subtitles from multiple episodes on the same disc is also rather silly. I am really hoping that the application receives a bit of an overhaul in that department.

Had there been a demo, I may well of not bought it given the current methods employed.

This is 1 to 1 disc duping.

Video and Audio compression is not new to me, although obviously I am not claiming to understand it in great detail, which is why I bought Toast. But these issues do not seem entirely logical.

I am however fairly certain the problem is within the application. I say Fairly sure because it seems ridiculous that one language (that Toast would see as the main one) and all video extras can be compressed where one alternate language and NO video extras is thought to be too big.

And I must admit to not being entirely happy with the way Toast deals with DVD re-compression. That it tells me there will be no menus simple because one language track is removed is not something any other program I have used has done. And having to de-select the same language tracks and subtitles from multiple episodes on the same disc is also rather silly. I am really hoping that the application receives a bit of an overhaul in that department.

Had there been a demo, I may well of not bought it given the current methods employed.

If you bought Toast 10 as a download from Roxio they have a 30-day refund policy.

Okay, here's what I understand: You have a ripped VIDEO_TS folder from a DL-sized DVD and are using the VIDEO_TS folders setting in the Toast Video window, or you are using the Disc Copy setting in the Copy window and copying directly from the source DVD. You've clicked options and deselected some items including extras, subtitles and some languages. You wish that Toast would retain the menu when you make small changes but are aware that any change causes Toast to remove any menu. (The reason Toast is designed to do this is so nobody can inadvertently select an option in the menu that isn't going to work).

When you select English as the only language you can burn the disc to a single-layer disc but cannot do this when you choose German as the only language or choose both German and English. It makes no difference if you choose Save as Disc Image and then burn that image file in the Copy window.

Do I have all this correct? I'll try to find a DVD I have that I can rip that has similar features and give it a test.

You can have Toast create a menu of its own using a different procedure, by the way. Let me know if you'd like to know about this. And this really should be a discussion in the Toast 10 forum. I'll look into how I can move this part of the thread to that forum.

That appears to be correct. I agree that the menu removal is not the worst thing, it's just something other applications do not do, and when a disc has a plethora of additional video content it can be very awkward to find what you want. And since the user chose what to remove there really is little reason to remove it for the reason mentioned.

My other option of course is to buy DL discs, but since these ones will be thrown away before too long the preference is the dirt cheap discs with no concern for their longevity.

I'll not ask for a refund, Toast is not a bad application at all, I'm just a little miffed at my main reason for purchase not quite working!

Also I apologise for it being in the Popcorn area, that was because I saw this existing thread and concluded that since Roxio produce Popcorn (which includes the Toast burn engine) it made sense that Toast also included Popcorn tech, and the issue would probably be the same.

That appears to be correct. I agree that the menu removal is not the worst thing, it's just something other applications do not do, and when a disc has a plethora of additional video content it can be very awkward to find what you want. And since the user chose what to remove there really is little reason to remove it for the reason mentioned.

My other option of course is to buy DL discs, but since these ones will be thrown away before too long the preference is the dirt cheap discs with no concern for their longevity.

I'll not ask for a refund, Toast is not a bad application at all, I'm just a little miffed at my main reason for purchase not quite working!

Also I apologise for it being in the Popcorn area, that was because I saw this existing thread and concluded that since Roxio produce Popcorn (which includes the Toast burn engine) it made sense that Toast also included Popcorn tech, and the issue would probably be the same.

I didn't see a DVD in my collection with German language so I chose one with English, Spanish and French languages and subtitles. I choose VIDEO_TS Folders as the format in the Toast Video window and added the ripped VIDEO_TS folder.

My first test was to do the entire VIDEO_TS folder. I inserted a blank DVD-RW and clicked the burn button. Toast proceeded with its compression stage and then wrote the DVD. Everything worked as it is supposed to.

My second test was to click Options and choose Main with the Video setting and English only with the Audio setting. Clicking the burn button started the fit-to-DVD compression and the DVD-RW burned as it was supposed to.

My third test was to click Options and choose Custom with the Video setting and select the main title only. Next to the main title I clicked the button where I was able to deselect only the French language, leaving two languages for audio and subtitles. I closed that window and clicked the burn button. Toast initiated its compression stage followed by burning the DVD-RW disc as it was supposed to.

Is there some other setting you are using? They all seem to be working for me?

Edited by tsantee

Although I appreciate your effort there it is probably not worth your time. I'd mentioned before that this is a disc to disc error, in one case effecting an entire box set of episodes where the first was ok, and in the last case only effecting particular discs inside a single box set.

Perplexing, right?

It is definitely a problem in Toast (Popcorn) however. I once again tried a problematic disc and the message is "This video selection is too large

Please remove folder, movies, extras, or audio tracks from the selection and try again"

What caused that? Removing French from ONE video. Nothing else. Why is that interesting? Doing a 1:1 feature dupe with everything included compresses just fine.

And it just hit me. If the discs will be thrown out later on anyway I may as well just forgo the attempts at improving video quality by removing un-required languages and just compress the entire thing in one go, since that appears to be no issue.

I really was just removing languages to provide more MPEG-2 space.

None the less, you can see, it is not working as it should!

Although I appreciate your effort there it is probably not worth your time. I'd mentioned before that this is a disc to disc error, in one case effecting an entire box set of episodes where the first was ok, and in the last case only effecting particular discs inside a single box set.

Perplexing, right?

It is definitely a problem in Toast (Popcorn) however. I once again tried a problematic disc and the message is "This video selection is too large

Please remove folder, movies, extras, or audio tracks from the selection and try again"

What caused that? Removing French from ONE video. Nothing else. Why is that interesting? Doing a 1:1 feature dupe with everything included compresses just fine.

And it just hit me. If the discs will be thrown out later on anyway I may as well just forgo the attempts at improving video quality by removing un-required languages and just compress the entire thing in one go, since that appears to be no issue.

I really was just removing languages to provide more MPEG-2 space.

None the less, you can see, it is not working as it should!

I've never seen that message so I don't know why it would appear. It is perplexing. I especially don't understand why the message would mention removing a folder. Where would such an option even exist?

I've never seen that message so I don't know why it would appear. It is perplexing. I especially don't understand why the message would mention removing a folder. Where would such an option even exist?

It's a typical apple sheet type message with an OK button only. Slides out of the burn window.

Folders though, it may well be talking about DVD-ROM computer content which some discs include.

I have now compressed all 5 discs with all languages and extras, no problem at all. Only down side of course is the video could of been better quality had I removed the unwanted languages.

I think it is fairly conclusive, Toast/Popcorn needs to be patched for this.

It's a typical apple sheet type message with an OK button only. Slides out of the burn window.

Folders though, it may well be talking about DVD-ROM computer content which some discs include.

I have now compressed all 5 discs with all languages and extras, no problem at all. Only down side of course is the video could of been better quality had I removed the unwanted languages.

I think it is fairly conclusive, Toast/Popcorn needs to be patched for this.

By the way, is this NTSC or PAL? Does the DVD have DVD-ROM content. If so, I'm pretty sure it isn't copied over.

I don't have any unencrypted DL discs with multiple audio tracks so I can't test with the disc-to-disc transfer in the Copy window unless I want to burn some DL discs just for these tests. So I guess it ends here. There is a link in Toast Help for submitting feedback to Roxio. The challenge will be trying to replicate what you're experiencing with different source discs.