Kevin walsh

Blu-ray Chapter Menus Fixed?

Question

19 answers to this question

I'm curious too. I'm doing a test burn right now from QT HDV FCP .mov export w/chapter markers both as self-contained QT and Not selfcontained w/chapter markers. Will advise when my Toast is done... B)

I'm curious too. I'm doing a test burn right now from QT HDV FCP .mov export w/chapter markers both as self-contained QT and Not selfcontained w/chapter markers. Will advise when my Toast is done... B)

Thank you, worth the upgrade price to me if this is fixed. Even though it should have been fixed in ver. 9.xx!

Thank you, worth the upgrade price to me if this is fixed. Even though it should have been fixed in ver. 9.xx!

UPDATE. I did my first BD-RE burn last night, and nice 16:9 menus and (finally) 16:9 buttons and outlines, but NO CHAPTER MARKERS again. I've been trying all the suggestions others have made to make them work in this forum over the last few months. This last time I did a FC Studio export with every type of marker and redundancy of markers embedded in the video tracks and embedded in the sequence, and exported as a QT self contained AND not self contained movie, with chapter markers. And I brought them into Toast via the Media Browser. And after the burn they didn't show up in either. When I advanced to the 'next chapter' the playback would advance about 30 seconds and play, even tho there were no chapter markers near this position. And it would advance this amount for 5 times and then show the 'not available' symbol and advance no further, even tho there were more markers.

I haven't the patience to export using Compressor and a Transport Stream again, since my tests have always resulted in Compressor being re-encoded by Toast as H.264, making an incredibly long export even longer to re-encode in Toast.

So I will do one more test export as above with QT and this time select 'add video scenes' and see if the chapter markers I place in FCP show up this way. Stay tuned... :unsure:

Oh, and this last test will be QT exported from FCP with 'all markers' and self contained.

If this doesn't work, plan B is to import each chapter into the Toast window so I can do a menu for each chapter, and select the 'play continuous' option, which does seem to work. Maybe we'll get an update from Roxio for this chapter marker feature since everyone has been begging for it, too.

Edited by Stucker

Sorry it has taken so long - moving.

All my efforts have failed to allow importing of Chapter markers in FCP QT movie files into

Toast 10.

Apparently the re-encode, which also seems unavoidable, wipes them out or does not support

them in the H.264 Toast 10 re-encode. I guess plan B is the only option, importing each chapter

as a sequence into the Toast window. Even using the Media Browser doesn't help, or iMovie.

I guess we'll have to wait for an update to 10. But the HD 16:9 menus and buttons look nice.

Sorry it has taken so long - moving.

All my efforts have failed to allow importing of Chapter markers in FCP QT movie files into

Toast 10.

Apparently the re-encode, which also seems unavoidable, wipes them out or does not support

them in the H.264 Toast 10 re-encode. I guess plan B is the only option, importing each chapter

as a sequence into the Toast window. Even using the Media Browser doesn't help, or iMovie.

I guess we'll have to wait for an update to 10. But the HD 16:9 menus and buttons look nice.

While we expect to be able to select chapter points (select a specified duration from pulldown), importing chapter markers from FCP is something we do not do at this point.

While we expect to be able to select chapter points (select a specified duration from pulldown), importing chapter markers from FCP is something we do not do at this point.
For what it's worth, chapter marker import would be my first vote to enhance this very nice software. Edited by ComPH

I Also did buy the upgrade to Toast 10 Pro fo my Blu Ray DVD's

It is very sorry to read that Roxio is ignoring the wishes of his customers to have the chapter markers where we put them in the FCP's time line.

This is the way we Apple users work.

And sorry chapter makers after each minute or so is not what we users want.

Please make use of the the Chapters in final cut pro and if possible make use of the sequence setting which is starting on 01.00.00.00 (as option because FCE is using 00.00.00.00.

On this moment Toast 10 is the only (Mac OS X) authoring Blu Ray program which is payable, Encore does come only with Premiere Pro and is to expensive for use of only the Blu Ray part.

As a recent Toast 10 user, burning BDs from FCP, I would like to add my voice to the call for FIXING the CHAPTER MARKER issue.

I have exported HDV and DVCProHD files from FCP (with chapters marker set and exported) and Toast 10 ignores them when making BDs. Toast will make fixed-gap markers, but that's a bit toy-town, and not very professional or useful for BD for paying clients? What is "automatic" marker placement supposed to do?

Is there a better place to "request enhancements" or more accurately "complain about bugs" direct to Roxio, than posting here? Do the development/product management teams read these forums?

I am new to Toast 10, and this is my first post here, but I believe I have a solution to this problem. I have been able to get my FCP markers to work in Toast 10 (Blu-ray).

In order for this to work, the video MUST be encoded in FCP Compressor, and the .m2v and audio files brought into Toast. In order to keep Toast from re-encoding the file, you must set all the Custom encoding parameters to the same as your file. So, if you're using an m2v file, you must select MPeg2, and (Very Important) you MUST MANUALLY SELECT THE PROPER FIELD ORDER. Automatic will not work. Now, on my Samsung 1400 Blu-ray player, not all the menu boxes have thumbnail images displayed. Some are just black boxes, but they all work, and they are accurate. If you let Toast do the encoding, the chapter stops will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

Hi Dr.Video:

Have you tried MPEG-4/H.264 from Compressor?

I really don't want to have to use MPEG-2, when MPEG-4/H.264 is so much better quality/filesize/bitrate ratio.

I am new to Toast 10, and this is my first post here, but I believe I have a solution to this problem. I have been able to get my FCP markers to work in Toast 10 (Blu-ray).

In order for this to work, the video MUST be encoded in FCP Compressor, and the .m2v and audio files brought into Toast. In order to keep Toast from re-encoding the file, you must set all the Custom encoding parameters to the same as your file. So, if you're using an m2v file, you must select MPeg2, and (Very Important) you MUST MANUALLY SELECT THE PROPER FIELD ORDER. Automatic will not work. Now, on my Samsung 1400 Blu-ray player, not all the menu boxes have thumbnail images displayed. Some are just black boxes, but they all work, and they are accurate. If you let Toast do the encoding, the chapter stops will be all over the place. Hope this helps.

What is the proper field order for Blu-Ray :rolleyes:

Edited by edbeta

As long as I do the encoding in Compressor, my chapter stops are right on the money on the burned disc. The only issue for me, is that only the first 5 or six buttons on the menu have a thumbnail image. The rest are just black boxes.

PLEASE - can you give us some indication when this will be fixed? (I haven't tried 10.0.2 yet, but it's not in the list of fixed bugs. :( )

Edited by mooblie

I just purchased Toast 10 Pro (updated to vs 10.0.2) - and can relate that I am experiencing the same issues as everyone else here regarding menu creation in Toast 10. I have a Sony BDPS350 BD Player, however, the menu problem is not restricted to this company or model. My blu-ray player has been updated to the most current release. The menus do work on the PS3.

I have only experienced this in recording blu-ray on dvd (I don't have a blu-ray burner). The impetus for purchasing Toast 10 was for this particular purpose. I expect a patch to be forthcoming in a reasonable period of time and by the posting dates here in this forum - "reasonable" has been tested.

If Roxio has not turned up a fix for this on-going issue within ten days a refund is in order.

The BD quality is incredible - but - a bit like a new car without the steering wheel.

:angry2: