• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 26 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Available Recording Hours Reduces

bluelake7070

Question

I'm running Windows XP Media Edition. Dell XPS 400. I'm using Roxio 10 and as far as I know it is updated. I am converting LPs to CDs, and every time I make one the "number of available hours" reduces in the Wizard window. I looked through my C drive and found two files that were made yesterday, when I did a number of recordings: pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. Each one has the same number of kb in it, and that is over 2,095,000. I thought about deleting these files, but when I try to it says they are a system file and I shouldn't delete. I try to keep my computer really clean and something is building up somewhere but I don't know where. Can you tell me where all those albums are being stored so that I can clear them out after I put them on CD? In the forum I saw one recommendation about using a free cleaner, and I would opt not to do that. Those things take out files I don't want removed sometimes and have messed up my computer. Thank you for any help you can give me.

4 answers to this question

I'm running Windows XP Media Edition. Dell XPS 400. I'm using Roxio 10 and as far as I know it is updated. I am converting LPs to CDs, and every time I make one the "number of available hours" reduces in the Wizard window. I looked through my C drive and found two files that were made yesterday, when I did a number of recordings: pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys. Each one has the same number of kb in it, and that is over 2,095,000. I thought about deleting these files, but when I try to it says they are a system file and I shouldn't delete. I try to keep my computer really clean and something is building up somewhere but I don't know where. Can you tell me where all those albums are being stored so that I can clear them out after I put them on CD? In the forum I saw one recommendation about using a free cleaner, and I would opt not to do that. Those things take out files I don't want removed sometimes and have messed up my computer. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Use CCleaner to clean up your computer. It gives you a choice of what to scan and what to remove. I've never has a prolem with it in many months of using it. Don't use ANY registry cleaner including the one in CCleaner.

Set Windows Folder view so that it does show hidden files and folders. Also if the files are temp files (which they should be), then rebooting the computer should wipe them out.

In addition to what Steve said, to get the hidden folders to show, do this:

For XP, go to My Computer, click on Tools, click on Folder Options, then on View.

Scroll down, and click in the circle to the left of Show hidden files and folders, then click Apply, then OK.

Then go to Documents and Settings, click on your user name, then click on Local Settings, then clear all files out of the Temp folder and the Temporary Internet Files folder.

I don't use Vista, so it may be a different route, if you have Vista.

Edited by grandpabruce

Thank you to both of you. I downloaded CCleaner and ran that.... amazing about all the stuff if found. I already have my computer set to view hidden files. What I found though, was that when I installed the program I was apparently asked where I wanted the files to go, and I set up a file on my hard drive and forgot it was there. I found this by clicking on the Advanced option of the LP and Tape Assistant. I was able to free up 9 hours plus of recording time.

Thank you for your help. I'm glad there are people smart enough and willing to help people like me while I figure things out!