Page File (.jwl) For Epson R280 To Print Directly On Cd?

Bruce46

Question

I just bought a new Epson R280 which will print directly on CD/DVD's. I have seen other posts about page file templates to make Label Creator work with various printers. I have Easy Media Creator 10 Suite on my Windows Xp Professional system. When you try to print directly to disc a list of printers comes up and it contains many Epson printers but not the R280. Of course the R280 came out after Creator 10 so it's no surprise that there is no page file (.jwl) for it.

My question is, if anyone knows if there is a page file for this printer in Roxio 2009? If so, is there a way to download it? Or can anyone send me a link to the file or simply print out the contents of the file so that I can make my own pagefile? If these methods are not an option, does anyone know if the existing pagefiles for Epson R960,R200 or R300 will work? When I checked the files there were only 2 for the dozen or so Epson printers listed. One of those page files seemed to cover most Epsons and the other only the R900. I'm assuming that the insertion location of the CD/DVD carrier tray is probably the same on this printer as on theR960, R200 and R300s so the offsets would also be the same. Any help will be appreciated since I don't want to upgrade to Roxio 2009 just to solve this problem. Everything else about Media Creator 10 seems to work fine for me.

Thanks,

Bruce

3 answers to this question

I don't have any printers that will print directly to a CD/DVD, but I wish that I did.

I know that if I had the Epson R280, and I was using EMC 10, I would try printing to a disc, using a setting for one of the other Epson printers that print directly to a disk. The 300 would be the first, and if that didn't work, I would try the 200.

Remember that you have to set the labeling program AND the printer to print on a CD. Setting one without the other will be a problem. I have the R800 and it works well.

Bruce had a good suggestion but print on a sheet of paper to see if it lines up.

In this case, set the labeler to print to a CD BUT set the printer to print to paper. I think that will work. The carrier is just about the size of an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper.

If it does not line up perfectly, you can change the offsets to compensate.

Bruce, they are worth the investment if you are going to give CD/DVD as gifts. I never checked to see how many discs you can print with a full change of ink; quite a few. If you do buy one, get extra cyan; it uses those more than others. Also Taiyo Yuden make a high quality waterproof (?) glossy DVD that takes inks perfectly. The slight gloss makes the discs look even better. I got the printer from Epson's outlet store so it was pretty inexpensive compared to full price. I don't see any R800 but the 260 is only $44. the 380 is $70 (better ink). If you do not like refurbished, then the RX680 (all-in-one) is only $110.

Edited by sknis

Remember that you have to set the labeling program AND the printer to print on a CD. Setting one without the other will be a problem. I have the R800 and it works well.

Bruce had a good suggestion but print on a sheet of paper to see if it lines up.

In this case, set the labeler to print to a CD BUT set the printer to print to paper. I think that will work. The carrier is just about the size of an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper.

If it does not line up perfectly, you can change the offsets to compensate.

Bruce, they are worth the investment if you are going to give CD/DVD as gifts. I never checked to see how many discs you can print with a full change of ink; quite a few. If you do buy one, get extra cyan; it uses those more than others. Also Taiyo Yuden make a high quality waterproof (?) glossy DVD that takes inks perfectly. The slight gloss makes the discs look even better. I got the printer from Epson's outlet store so it was pretty inexpensive compared to full price. I don't see any R800 but the 260 is only $44. the 380 is $70 (better ink). If you do not like refurbished, then the RX680 (all-in-one) is only $110.

Thank you for your suggestions, I've checked the Page Files for Epson printers and it seems that one Page File supports the 800 as well as the 200 and 300. I'll give that a try but I'll print on paper first to see if everything lines up. I already use Taiyo Yuden CDs and DVDs since my Toshiba laptop uses a Panasonic (Matshita) multi-drive which seems to choke on most normal (cheap) discs. In checking on my multi-drive's problems on the web I found that Panasonic drives are notorious for being picky about media used. Ever since I bought Taiyo Yuden discs I haven't created even one coaster, they work perfectly.