• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Toast 10 Audiobook Function

tintypes

Question

I see that the newly released Toast 10 now has an audiobook-creation function. I don't know the details, so I don't know how similar/disimilar it is to Audiobook Builder (by Splasm). But I am wondering if Toast has figured out how to make parts longer than 2.5 hours and have them work properly. Specifically, in Audiobook Builder, there has been a long-standing problem with book tracks longer than 2.5 hours using most (all? ipods -- frequently (always?), if you stop listening and then return to the track later, it will reset your bookmark to the beginning and skip to the next track.

This "feature" has been apart of Audiobook Builder for a long, long time, and I, for one, am ready for an audiobook program that works properly -- producing no-hassle 7-8 hour parts just like they do over at Audible.com, for example. There is no detailed information on this function on the Toast website, and no demo download as far as I can tell. Has anyone tried the audiobook function of Toast 10 to see if they have conquered the 2.5-hour limit? Or, almost as useful, does Toast 10 allow one to specify the location of part breaks so that book chapters don't get chopped in half and span two different tracks? Thanks in advance for any info; I'm ready to upgrade if the audiobook function is an improvement over Audiobook Builder.

4 answers to this question

I see that the newly released Toast 10 now has an audiobook-creation function. I don't know the details, so I don't know how similar/disimilar it is to Audiobook Builder (by Splasm). [...] I'm ready to upgrade if the audiobook function is an improvement over Audiobook Builder.

I purchased Toast 10 hoping to find another good tool for audiobook conversion. Unfortunately, Toast 10 isn't it. After (attempting to) using the program, reading through all of Roxio's documentation on the fuction (or rather, searching for documentation that doesn't exist), and discussing in another posting on this forum, it's clear to me that:

1. Toast 10's Convert > Audiobook function is poorly designed (terrible interface, almost useless functionality).

2. The function is poorly implemented (barely works or doesn't work at all).

3. The function is not documented at all ("audiobook" doesn't appear once in the user guide, and doesn't appear at all in the Toast knowledge base).

In addition, no one from Roxio has bothered to post a reply in the forum topic where we've been discussing it. So, I would suggest that in spite of some issues with Audiobook Builder (and I should say, I don't encounter the problem you describe with the 10-12 hour tracks I build with it; the iPhone / iPod Touch seems immune to the problem), it's still the best tool available.

I'm the author of Aldo on Audiobooks, http://aldoblog.com/audiobooks/, so my standards are high, but I'm also willing to mess around with something to see how it works. Right now, Toast 10 doesn't.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Toast could create audiobooks from scratch. It can't, and I am well aware that Toast 10 converts existing audiobook CDs into longer, bookmarkable audiobook tracks. This is what Audiobook Builder does as well. The problem (with Splasm's Audiobook Builder) comes when your converted tracks (built from multiple, existing audiobook CDs) are longer than 2.5 hours. Does Toast 10 have the same problem Audiobook Builder has (as described in my original post), or has it resolved this issue?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Toast could create audiobooks from scratch. It can't, and I am well aware that Toast 10 converts existing audiobook CDs into longer, bookmarkable audiobook tracks. This is what Audiobook Builder does as well. The problem (with Splasm's Audiobook Builder) comes when your converted tracks (built from multiple, existing audiobook CDs) are longer than 2.5 hours. Does Toast 10 have the same problem Audiobook Builder has (as described in my original post), or has it resolved this issue?

Unfortunately I'm unable to answer your question. There is no description of the Audiobook conversion feature in the Toast 10 User's Guide. When I click the Audiobook setting in the Convert window I'm shown options for adjusting playback speed and audio quality and a check box for changing stereo to mono. There is a space available bar that can be set for various sizes ranging from 128 MB to 8 GB but I don't know how relevant it is to this function. I don't have and audiobook disc to test what options appear when I click the convert button.

Hopefully another Toast 10 user can address your question. Or you might want to purchase Toast 10 as a download from Roxio and give it a try. Roxio has a 30-day refund policy.

I don't think Toast 10 can create Audiobooks. What it can do is convert audiobooks to other formats. Here is the description from the Toast Convert window: "Convert multiple Audiobook CDs to audio files with chapter bookmarks. Optionally send to iTunes for easy syncing with your iPod."

Archived