Music Capture Stops Prematurely

Bill James

Question

After much trial and error I finally got music capture to start working. I have no idea what I did because initially all I could get was a beep when I asked it to record but it will now record. But not all is well. No matter what I set the capture settings to it stops recording each song at about 1 minute 58 seconds. I have modified the silence time to no avail. I expect there is a problem with the s/w since it stops every time at the same time no matter the song (tried several) recorded. It is recognizing songs, tagging them properly and transferring into Itunes. I just can't capture a complete song. Help please. Thanks,

5 answers to this question

In CD Spin Doctor did you select "Start a New Recording"? Did you follow the step-by-step guide or did you click the Advanced button to see the recorder settings window? When Spin Doctor first opens there is a window asking if you want the start a new recording, open an existing audio file or Start Audio Music Capture. On my MacBook Pro the last one doesn't seem to be working properly. It was grayed out until I installed the Capture Support (and that took two tries maybe because I had the previous version already installed).

So I chose Start a new recording and tested with both the step-by-step process and with the Advanced window and did not have any problem with the recording automatically stopping. Be sure you select CDSD System Audio Capture as your input source when capturing streaming audio sources.

I was using the third option that is audio music capture which is a new capability. It is supposed to capture streaming audio and split and tag files. There are settings for maximum time to convert which is set to as long as 1 or 2 days long and there are options for length of silence that I set at several seconds. The problem is that the program stops converting a song at about 1 minute 55-58 seconds no matter what settings I give it. The resulting mp3 file sounds great, is properly identified and tagged and inserted into Itunes as expected, just does not capture the entire song.

I too had the third option greyed out until I installed the capture support from the menu and rebooted and fiddled around with the program quite a bit. It is unclear what I did in my case to get it going. I too had Toast 9 installed previously but did my best to uninstall Toast 9 remnants before installing 10.

Instead of clicking the third option click Start a New Recording. In the window that appears you can either go through the step-by-step process and select the CDSD System Audio Capture as the input when that window appears. What I do is click the Advanced button at the bottom and immediately go to the screen that has all the settings. There I choose CDSD System Audio Capture and start my streaming recording. Doing it this way I did not have any time limit on the recording. As I noted, the third option on that startup window isn't working for me. When I click on it the timer shows zero seconds and stays there so something is wrong at least on my MacBook Pro.

The third option splits files, identifies and tags tracks and inserts the mp3s into Itunes. I paid for this feature and I want use this feature and expect it to work. The second option was in Toast 9. I agree that it works. That is not what I want to use. Just another example of a new feature added to the product that gets you to upgrade to get it, that is poorly documented, obviously poorly tested, clearly does not work for multiple users and dumped on us again.

The only thing that I see that is consistent between product releases is the poor quality of added features. I am assuming that existing features are more stable between versions but the customer is paying for all the features and all should work.

The third option splits files, identifies and tags tracks and inserts the mp3s into Itunes. I paid for this feature and I want use this feature and expect it to work. The second option was in Toast 9. I agree that it works. That is not what I want to use. Just another example of a new feature added to the product that gets you to upgrade to get it, that is poorly documented, obviously poorly tested, clearly does not work for multiple users and dumped on us again.

The only thing that I see that is consistent between product releases is the poor quality of added features. I am assuming that existing features are more stable between versions but the customer is paying for all the features and all should work.

I can't get the third button to work at all so I don't know that it does those things (as you say, there is no documentation). I can do all the things on your list through the first setting but maybe it involves more work. I'm no more pleased than you are that it doesn't seem ready for release but at least it is working better than version 5.

I was using the third option that is audio music capture which is a new capability. It is supposed to capture streaming audio and split and tag files. There are settings for maximum time to convert which is set to as long as 1 or 2 days long and there are options for length of silence that I set at several seconds. The problem is that the program stops converting a song at about 1 minute 55-58 seconds no matter what settings I give it. The resulting mp3 file sounds great, is properly identified and tagged and inserted into Itunes as expected, just does not capture the entire song.

I too had the third option greyed out until I installed the capture support from the menu and rebooted and fiddled around with the program quite a bit. It is unclear what I did in my case to get it going. I too had Toast 9 installed previously but did my best to uninstall Toast 9 remnants before installing 10.

Archived