PARANOID

paulmpianist

Question

I have had Roxio for years now. but only about a year ago upgraded to Roxio 7.5

since then i have had a hard drive crash while rendering video. Now after buying a new hard drive, recovering the old data and re-installing all my programs and files, I am worried about having another crash.

Has anybody else had their program freeze during rendering? and then not boot up?

thanks paul

paulm218@aol.com

ps I downoladed a lot of hard drive recovery programs.... the best one stood out as the only one and it was the cheapest. HANDY RECOVERY at handyrecovery.com works great. you can try the demo that lets you recover one file a day until you pay for it. 30 bucks to get the key once youve downloaded it and it works great.

7 answers to this question

Curious to know if (after installing your new hard drive) if you have since re-installed your EMC program and tried rendering. You stated that the drive "crashed" during the rendering process. What type of "crash" did you have ? Just because it happened during a rendering process does not necessarily mean that it was that process that caused the crash. Like ml has suggested, it very well could have been a failure of the hard drive itself or mechanical in nature.

Frank...

I wish I could help you Paul but never fear, there are people here with far more experience with this program than I that can give advice.

I do have one bit of advice though, and that is to remove your email address. Hackers love to look around forums for these things.

By the way, though I've had problems in the past with program lockups, it was nothing like yours so I prefer not to offer any advice which would probably be irrelevant anyway. good luck finding your answers...

I have had Roxio for years now. but only about a year ago upgraded to Roxio 7.5

since then i have had a hard drive crash while rendering video. Now after buying a new hard drive, recovering the old data and re-installing all my programs and files, I am worried about having another crash.

Has anybody else had their program freeze during rendering? and then not boot up?

thanks paul

paulm218@aol.com

ps I downoladed a lot of hard drive recovery programs.... the best one stood out as the only one and it was the cheapest. HANDY RECOVERY at handyrecovery.com works great. you can try the demo that lets you recover one file a day until you pay for it. 30 bucks to get the key once youve downloaded it and it works great.

For starters, make sure your drive is defragged and stays that way. You'd be surprised how fast the files get pushed around. Also, try things like shutting down all unneeded programs that are running, even virus software. Some even disconnect from the net to make sure there is no activity.

Does this happen to every video you do or just 1? Do you have Spysweeper on your system? If so, make sure it's completely shut down.

Guest mlpasley

Something that might help is to change your Windows Performance settings to Adjust for Best Performance rather than having Windows manage the settings.

Also changing your virtual memory settings to your RAM as the minimum and 2 times your RAM as max. ie. if your RAM is 512 MB use 512 as min and 1024 as max.

Disconnecting from the internet and turning off all virus checkers and firewalls will also decrease the demands on your system.

However, a hard drive crash which requires replacement of a hard drive is usually a mechanical failure and has nothing to do with software.

Most of us have a second internal or external hard drive that we use to back up our data in case of a mechanical failure.

Having experienced a Hard Drive Crash (I left the laptop running when I stepped out) just after ripping a CD. "Long Story Short", hard drives can crash in an idle state or while ripping.

If the program locks up, and you force it to end using Task Manager, this will not hurt your hard drive.

Since it took months to reinstall and perform all the registry hacks to get my software to play together, I now use ACRONIS to make back ups of drive image. In Fact I have since restored my installation when my Video Driver Update did not go well and broke VISIO Activation plus many other quirks I restored my drive to its previous state. I spent most of last summer installing software and that was a painful experience.

In Short, Drives will crash, get an external drive (if laptop) or purchase a second drive and install in your tower, run ACRONIS at least every two weeks (differential) and you have cheap insurance.

-Bob

Acronis was a life saver to my small business after Hurricane Katrina. I lost all my paper records and if I had lost my computer info, not only would I have not been able to get an accurate accounts receivable, but I would have not been able to get back into business so quickly and maybe, not at all.

All my systems have images on portable drives waiting for crash day!

Acronis has saved me more than once too! Most recently when I was having trouble getting EMC 7.5 to work, I restored images several times during the process. I have an older version so can't speak for the more recent ones. You know . . . if it works don't fix it! Acronis ROCKS!

Archived