• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 8 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Unable to select a ISO image in Diskcopier

jpawling

Question

I was wondering if any one else has had this issue.

Over the last two weeks of MicroSoft Updates and MS Office updates, I've lost the ability to either Select an ISO image or create an ISO image in Diskcopier 7.5. I also have Norton IS 2005 and SpySweeper installed, but they haven't been a problem in the past.

Whenever I use the "Select" Button on the left side or the "Save As" button on the right side, the results are the same: I don't get a popup allowing me to select the ISO location. The program just locks up totally in the first minutes (Task Manager says Not Responding) and usually after 2 hours I terminate the Diskcopy Task). I can use Diskcopy to copy between DVD Writers though and it's been able to do ISO images over the past year.

So far, I've done a repair in Add/Remove programs and also re-applied the latest 7.5 update to no avail. I've used Norton AV 2005 and SpySweeper to scan for viruses and spyware over the last week, and nothing has been found.

Does anyone know (or had the same issue) what might be causing this problem and how to diagnose to determine a solution?

15 answers to this question

Okay I finally got the issue resolved.

Can you believe it, but it was related to my HP Scanner software (among other shell extensions) and the Windows Update KB908531.

Read this link for more details: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125420,00.asp

And I had to do the first part of this MS Technote: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

Now everything is working just fine...including the fact I wasn't able to enter www.roxio.com into my Address line in IE. I had to enter http://www.roxio.com

Read about the NEXT fix for this bug from MS here: http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,125507,00.asp :)

Yesterday whenI looked at your post, the image you attached was visable. Today when I look at your post the image attachment is not. Did you change it's p[roperties or what ?

Frank.....

Did the image come back for you to see Frank? I think maybe the webserver I uploaded it to came down for a day or so :)

Interesting...I've just discovered that the Diskcopier program is locking up even when I go into Options and click on either "Log File Location" or "Cache Location".

It looks like those options have the Direcvtory Patch specified in Short File names. Can someone tell me if they have Long File Names or Short File Names specified in their setup?

Interesting...I've just discovered that the Diskcopier program is locking up even when I go into Options and click on either "Log File Location" or "Cache Location".

It looks like those options have the Direcvtory Patch specified in Short File names. Can someone tell me if they have Long File Names or Short File Names specified in their setup?

Here is what my setup looks like:

post-81-1145806296.jpg

MS update personel must want to increase their job security by causing as many problems with updates as with what they are supposed to fix. Twice in the last year I felt an Windows Update caused problems on my system that I had to find a work around for. What I don't understand is why you had problems with address in IE......that's weird.

I've been reading a few more items about MS's security updates and one of them suggested that the update did make some changes to IE. Not sure exactly what those changes were but that might explain it. And several I have read suggest that it did mess up some HP hardware too.

MS has gone completely nuts about these updates for security purposes and rather than come up with a good browser, they keep hacking away at these security updtaes for the old IE. They are soon to put out IE 7 so maybe that will change things but don't hold your breath !!!

Frank....

I've been reading a few more items about MS's security updates and one of them suggested that the update did make some changes to IE. Not sure exactly what those changes were but that might explain it. And several I have read suggest that it did mess up some HP hardware too.

MS has gone completely nuts about these updates for security purposes and rather than come up with a good browser, they keep hacking away at these security updtaes for the old IE. They are soon to put out IE 7 so maybe that will change things but don't hold your breath !!!

Frank....

I think it's better to wait a while before adopting a new IE browser - give them time to debug it. :)

Lynn

I have version 7.8 and 8.06. The OP has version 7.5, so that is why I posted what I have in Disc Copier for 7.5.

Here is what I see in version 8.06. Much different than 7.5.

Ooopps, that's what I have. Sorry, I didn't realize the thread is for 7.5

Here is what my setup looks like:

Thanks Bruce. It looks the same as mine. I'm extremely puzzled by why this ISO functionality just suddenly stopped working :)

I tried, yet again, to re-install Roxio 7.5.2.49 but it didn't resolve the issue. I tried to remove and re-install a few of the "could be related" Windows Updates (approx. 8 of them) that I received on April 14th, but nothing had the slightest bit of difference.

I think it's better to wait a while before adopting a new IE browser - give them time to debug it. :)

Lynn

I second that good advice. I think it was in December that an MS update completely fubared IE and a few other things. The glitch was that I had a stand alone version of IE7 running alongside IE 6 (and 5 and 5.5 and 4 for web design testing). I suspect that they did it on purpose to catch all of us evil web designers who just wanted to make sure that our sites won't blow up in IE7. Of course, they'd rather have us install each browser on a separate computer with individual licenses. I think IE 7 may convince me to retire!!

What I don't understand is why you had problems with address in IE......that's weird.

Here's a screenshot of why this was a problem for me, and may be the reason I couldn't get ANY address bar to work. This window would not open in DiskCopier 7.5.

DiskCopier.jpg

Archived