Question

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a PowerBook G4. Toast is updated to 7.1.3.

I'm trying to back up my hard drive using the disk spanning option for the first time. The burn begins, and completes, and a message then states that I need to insert the next disk but when I click on the eject option, nothing happens. I've left it alone after clicking the eject button for as long as 15 minutes, but still nothing.

Toast appears to seize up and the only way to get out of it is to do a force quit (Cmd-Alt-Esc), which, naturally, cancels the burning sequence and the whole thing has to be started all over, with exactly the same result the next time.

Does anyone know what's causing Toast 7.1.3 to refuse to eject the disk and freeze up?

Thank you for your help.

2 answers to this question

Obviously that shouldn't happen. I haven't used Toast 7 in a long time but if it is like later versions Toast automatically ejects the disc when it is ready for you to insert the next one. I don't know why your drive is ignoring that command.

In your CDs and DVDs panel in System Preferences do you have Open Finder selected as what should happen when inserting a blank disc? If so, change it to Open Toast or Do Nothing. In your Energy Saver panel uncheck the option to put drives to sleep when unused.

If this still is happening you might be able to eject the disc without quitting Toast by opening Disk Utility, selecting the drive (or disc) and clicking Eject.

Obviously that shouldn't happen. I haven't used Toast 7 in a long time but if it is like later versions Toast automatically ejects the disc when it is ready for you to insert the next one. I don't know why your drive is ignoring that command.

In your CDs and DVDs panel in System Preferences do you have Open Finder selected as what should happen when inserting a blank disc? If so, change it to Open Toast or Do Nothing. In your Energy Saver panel uncheck the option to put drives to sleep when unused.

If this still is happening you might be able to eject the disc without quitting Toast by opening Disk Utility, selecting the drive (or disc) and clicking Eject.

Thank you for your assistance. You are so helpful!

I don't know why I never remember to use disk utility to eject a disk. I checked my settings but could find nothing there which should have been causing conflict.

I still don't know what was causing it to freeze but found a way around it: in the record submenu (where speed is set), in the advanced tab, there is an option to tell Toast what to do after burn. One of the options is to eject the disk after the burn. I changed that setting, and everything just pops out as it should.

This is a separate eject function from the one that should occur automatically. As I say, it would complete burn and verification and then a menu came up that gave a choice to eject or cancel but the eject button would not work. But, the workaround was clearly to set the default to deject after burn.

Thanks, again!

Edited by katzPajamaz