Encoding Hangs at 93%

brodeck

Question

I'm new to this forum and EMC8. I am creating a skydiving movie from a camcorder capture, combined with a DVD made by a videographer. I'm blending in segments of each in a new order.

I'm to the point of sending the VideoWave project to MyDVD. When I click to burn the project, I get the preview screen and it runs up to 93% and then seems to hang there.

I have a 3GHz processr and 1GB RAM. I can play the project through in VideoWave, though sometimes the audio gets mixed up.

I've been to this point numerous times. I've killed as many unnecesary processes as I can, same result.

Where should I be looking to solve this puzzle?

Thanks for your help!

5 answers to this question

Guest ivanatrox

What is the video card do you have? Have you tried to change the render mode in Tools -> Options and see if it makes any different?

Ivan

What is the video card do you have? Have you tried to change the render mode in Tools -> Options and see if it makes any different?

Ivan

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/TV-Out and 128 MB RAM. Not bad back in 2002...

I will change the render mode from software to hardware and see whether slow and steady wins the race...

Brian

No ! :) You will get problems if you force the program to use hardware !. Your card should be good enough but make sure that you have the latest drivers. Software may be slower and you will not have all the transitions.

Try this. Instead of outputting the project to MyDVD, select the "reel" icon next to the burn icon in Video Wave and output that project to a mpg.. best quality for DVD. Let the project render. If it completes, you can just use that file in MyDVD. If it does not complete, note the time (note the %) where it stops. Look back at your project in timeline to see what is going on at that time. There could be a bad transition, something with a timing problem, a bad file, etc. You should be able to track it down easily. Look at both the timeline and the storyline view to see if there is something there that should not be.

Also, when you do go to burn the DVD, select make an image file (iso) and de-select the other options. This separates the rendering from the burning. Most people have better luck doing it this way. When the iso file is completed, just use Disc Copier to copy that iso file to the DVD

My video card is an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/TV-Out and 128 MB RAM. Not bad back in 2002...

I will change the render mode from software to hardware and see whether slow and steady wins the race...

Brian

Brian

That 9700 Pro will work as well as any card out there. I used mine until it finally went belly up about 2 years and 9 months after I got it. ATI send me a 9800 Pro as a free replacement, and it works well, too.

I run in hardware mode.

No ! :) You will get problems if you force the program to use hardware !. Your card should be good enough but make sure that you have the latest drivers. Software may be slower and you will not have all the transitions.

Try this. Instead of outputting the project to MyDVD, select the "reel" icon next to the burn icon in Video Wave and output that project to a mpg.. best quality for DVD. Let the project render. If it completes, you can just use that file in MyDVD. If it does not complete, note the time (note the %) where it stops. Look back at your project in timeline to see what is going on at that time. There could be a bad transition, something with a timing problem, a bad file, etc. You should be able to track it down easily. Look at both the timeline and the storyline view to see if there is something there that should not be.

Also, when you do go to burn the DVD, select make an image file (iso) and de-select the other options. This separates the rendering from the burning. Most people have better luck doing it this way. When the iso file is completed, just use Disc Copier to copy that iso file to the DVD

Thanks for the post - also for directing me to the reel icon.

I don't have a successful "burn" yet, though I only tried twice. Strangely, it hung at different locations each time - the second time further than the first. I'll try some more tonight.

Here's what I have - a DVD created by a videographer in .vob format, and captures from a camcorder.

What I'm trying to do is take different segments of the .vob file (renamed to .mpg) and interleave them with different segments of the camcorder video. I've copied the .vob/.mpg file several times so I'm not working with the same one each time.

Here are my successes so far:

I have four camcorder segments. I have successfully burned all four of these segments in a timeline.

I have also successfully burned the .vob/.mpg file, though only one in a project. I haven't successfully burned a timeline with more than one .vob/.mpg file.

Finally, I have successfully burned a timeline starting with the whole .vob/.mpg file, followed by the four camcorder segments.

Is there an upper limit on the size of project I can create this way? The .vob/.mpg file is 186MB big, and the camcorder captures total mayber 300-400MB.

Thanks for your help! Brian

Archived