• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Creator 2009 Display Of Track Names

jram

Question

Hi,

Just recently purchased Creator 2009 and am having an issue. Despite numerous attemtps I cannot get the track name to display on the CD's, or, sometimes, in the media players. I have used the "edit song information" and "edit audio" activities in Creator; additionally edited each individual track in the "Sound Editor". After 6 coasters I'm a bit frustrated....

I did search the Roxio Knowledgebase and found an older reference to this problem from version 5.3 and up. I would think that after 5 versions this problem would be repaired.

So, anyone have any ideas or work-arounds that may help?

8 answers to this question

hmmm...Let me try again. When I play a professionally produced CD WMP displays the song title that is currently playing and the list of song titles included on the CD; all music is a .cda.
This information comes from the internet. NOT from the audio CD. Windows Media Player does not read CD TEXT. iTunes and Rapsody probably get there info from the internet, too. Although I have clue if they read CD text or not.

I know that burning CD Text does work for me. You need a software CD player that reads CD text.

This information comes from the internet. NOT from the audio CD. Windows Media Player does not read CD TEXT. iTunes and Rapsody probably get there info from the internet, too. Although I have clue if they read CD text or not.

I know that burning CD Text does work for me. You need a software CD player that reads CD text.

As a newbie to this I appreciate the reply. If I understand what you are saying WMP and the other media players show the text information, like artist and album after retrieving it from the Internet? Perhaps my confusion lies with the definition of "text"? At the very least, I define it as artist and album but really don't know if this is correct, so please correct me if I"m wrong.

To test my thinking I took an .mp3 file, opened in Sound Editor, and edited the file as: album-test, artist-Myself (of course :-) ), exported the file and played in WMP and the other media players. They all show "test/Myself" information, and I can guarantee that I'm not an available artist on the Internet.

So, once again I'm truly puzzled about what information is stored by Sound Editor, why it will show in the media players (sometimes) when played from the harddrive, and why a hardware CD player can't produce the text info for the media player.

Too many questions, not enough answers....

As a newbie to this I appreciate the reply. If I understand what you are saying WMP and the other media players show the text information, like artist and album after retrieving it from the Internet? Perhaps my confusion lies with the definition of "text"? At the very least, I define it as artist and album but really don't know if this is correct, so please correct me if I"m wrong.

To test my thinking I took an .mp3 file, opened in Sound Editor, and edited the file as: album-test, artist-Myself (of course :-) ), exported the file and played in WMP and the other media players. They all show "test/Myself" information, and I can guarantee that I'm not an available artist on the Internet.

So, once again I'm truly puzzled about what information is stored by Sound Editor, why it will show in the media players (sometimes) when played from the harddrive, and why a hardware CD player can't produce the text info for the media player.

Too many questions, not enough answers....

An mp3 CD is not a "audio CD" but is strictly a data CD. Audio CDs are compltely different "animal" in a completely different format as can be seen by exploring the CDs.

If I understand what you are saying WMP and the other media players show the text information, like artist and album after retrieving it from the Internet?
That is correct. As a test, Make sure your computer is OFF. Disconnect the cable to your internet (phone wire or cable modem). Turn on the machine. When Windows has booted, stick a commercial, bought audio CD into your drive and run WMP. See what you get. It will be exactly what you see with Roxio audio burned CDs. Just track1.cda, etc.

There maybe some commercial audio CDs where the artist info, artwork is burned to the CD, but I've never seen any.

Be more specific as to which application. Sound Editor is the best solution for audio CD compilations, but it should still work.

Load your Sound Editor project

when you click on Burn audio CD, there is a button in the lower left corner of that dialog box (Audio CD Settings). Click that and make sure 'Add CD Text' is checked.

There are similar settings in Music Disc Creator which I prefer for this. Be aware that Windows Media Player DOES NOT read the CD Text. Never has. You will need another audio CD software player that does.

hmmm...Let me try again. When I play a professionally produced CD WMP displays the song title that is currently playing and the list of song titles included on the CD; all music is a .cda.

However, when I produced my titles using Sound Editor, with the song titles and artist included by using "Add CD Text", only "track 1, track 2, etc. is shown; this is also true using iTunes, WMP, Rapsody. All titles are burned for .cda.

Now, if I play the Sound Editor titles from the hard drive as MP3's, where the titles have been saved in the Roxio Project, the song titles show in all the mentioned media players.

So, perhaps, being new to recording stuff from old lps to CD's, am I confused about what "text" will be available when burned on a CD using Creator 9?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Be more specific as to which application. Sound Editor is the best solution for audio CD compilations, but it should still work.

Load your Sound Editor project

when you click on Burn audio CD, there is a button in the lower left corner of that dialog box (Audio CD Settings). Click that and make sure 'Add CD Text' is checked.

There are similar settings in Music Disc Creator which I prefer for this. Be aware that Windows Media Player DOES NOT read the CD Text. Never has. You will need another audio CD software player that does.

An mp3 CD is not a "audio CD" but is strictly a data CD. Audio CDs are compltely different "animal" in a completely different format as can be seen by exploring the CDs.

Thanks for your response. It spurred me to do some desparately needed research as to why sometimes the artist/album are shown, and sometimes not on recordings that I produce using Roxio. What I learned was somewhat in line with what ya'll have been saying, that is, hardware players are manufactured to two different specs, either to show the text or not. My base system has two players, CD Player, and CDRW; the hardware CDRW will show the text data in WMP and other software players, while the hardware CD player will not.

I also discovered this website at Wikpedia that provides a list of software players and whether they can read CD Text, and a link to a website that adds a text reader to WMP (some versions). I make no claims as to its' capabilities, but it works as a plugin and a simple right click on "track 1" displays the text info, if its' included properly on the CD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

In conclusion what I learned is what ya'll said in the beginning; some hardware players are made to show the text, others aren't, which I didn't know before. However, I'm still puzzled why some software players do show the CD text, sometimes, and others don't, especially WMP. As I said before, lots' of questions, few answers.....

Archived