• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cdsd Save As .m4a (aac) Problems

bohalloran

Question

Hi,

In trying out the new version of CDSD in Toast 10, I've been successful in using the system capture feature but if try to save as .m4a, the file is saved, but when I try to reopen, there is nothing there, If I remember there were problems with saving in formats other than aiff. It does do the save as aiff fine.

I was simply recording some utube videos (capturing the audio) as a test.

Anybody been successful in saving as .m4a and been able to reopen the file with the data there?

7 answers to this question

Help me understand how you were able to save as .m4a. I can send to iTunes as an .m4a file and it, of course, appears in iTunes. Oddly it also transfers an .aiff version to iTunes so I get two copies there. But if I choose Save Active Tracks then the files are saved to the hard drive as .aif.

I can't get the "Start Auto Music Capture" button to work on my MacBook Pro. If I keep clicking on it I can sometimes very briefly see it change to the recording mode but it is just for a fraction of a second. Nothing gets recorded. I don't know how it is supposed to work. So I use the regular recording settings window to experiment with recording streaming audio.

Hi,

After finishing my recording, creating tracks, naming them, etc I do a "save as" under the file tab and select MPEG4 (audio) .m4a. It seems to do a save, but when I go back and either double click on it or open it within CDSD, it opens a blank file. If I use the aiff format and save it, all is well when I open it.

I have the same result when I click on the "start auto capture" button. I get an instant blink and sound from the mac and that's all. Like you, if I click on start new recording and make sure I select auto capture in the sound preferences, I can then set the time to stop, if desired and record.

I remember in previous versions of Toast when it didn't play well with some QT audio plugins and it required a certain plugin to be in the QT folder to work and then it worked sometimes for me.

I suppose I could set itunes to import as aac and that would take care of it.

Hi,

After finishing my recording, creating tracks, naming them, etc I do a "save as" under the file tab and select MPEG4 (audio) .m4a. It seems to do a save, but when I go back and either double click on it or open it within CDSD, it opens a blank file. If I use the aiff format and save it, all is well when I open it.

I have the same result when I click on the "start auto capture" button. I get an instant blink and sound from the mac and that's all. Like you, if I click on start new recording and make sure I select auto capture in the sound preferences, I can then set the time to stop, if desired and record.

I remember in previous versions of Toast when it didn't play well with some QT audio plugins and it required a certain plugin to be in the QT folder to work and then it worked sometimes for me.

I suppose I could set itunes to import as aac and that would take care of it.

Thanks for showing me the way there. I just tried it and it saved the .m4a file to my Music folder (where I wanted) and it also changed the file I was looking at in Spin Doctor to the .m4a version. It saved the entire recording and ignored any tracks. So my experience is different from yours in that the .m4a file does appear in the destination folder.

Thanks for showing me the way there. I just tried it and it saved the .m4a file to my Music folder (where I wanted) and it also changed the file I was looking at in Spin Doctor to the .m4a version. It saved the entire recording and ignored any tracks. So my experience is different from yours in that the .m4a file does appear in the destination folder.

Hi,

Well, my result is similar to yours except that when I did the "save as", CDSD saved the file to where I wanted it as an m4a file and also converted the file in CDSD from aiff to m4a and also ignored the tracks, but removed the sound wave so it looks like a blank file with the converted m4a title. If I close CDSD, go to where the m4a file is stored and either double click on the file or open CDSD and navigate to the file and select it, it opens in CDSD as a blank m4a file.

File I do a "send to itunes" with the aiff file open in CDSD, it does convert the file from aiff to m4a and sends it to itunes and I end up like you with two copies of the file in itunes, all tracks are there along with an aiff and an m4a version.

Some how I am having two issues with the current version of CDSD and don't know what is causing them.

1. If I double click on the start auto capture button, I get a sound and nothing happens. Doing a start new recording and the selecting the "CDSD system audio capture" in the sound preferences does work as expected.

2. Doing a "save as" m4a under the file tab does not convert the file from aiff to m4a with the wave form and track names. doing a "send to itunes" that is set up to convert imported files as aac does work. This is not really helpful if you simply want to save the file as acc not in itunes.

It appears to me that something is awry.

I've done some more testing and this is what I've learned. In order to use Save As... to create a .mp4 file you must first create at least one track. The track length doesn't matter because it will be ignored. But after a track is marked the Save As... creates a playable .m4a file for me. If I don't create the track then I get an empty .m4a file when choosing Save As...,

I've done some more testing and this is what I've learned. In order to use Save As... to create a .mp4 file you must first create at least one track. The track length doesn't matter because it will be ignored. But after a track is marked the Save As... creates a playable .m4a file for me. If I don't create the track then I get an empty .m4a file when choosing Save As...,

Well, the plot thickens as the saying goes. I did what you suggested by having at least one track before doing the save as m4a and that did work. However, I have found what I believe are other anomalies. That works only when I do the save as m4a first. If I do a save as aiff first and then do a save as m4a, that doesn't work. If I do a save as aiff, quit CDSD, go to the file and double click on it, or open CDSD and navigate to the file and select it and open it, it will open fine. Then if I do a save as m4a after having fist saved it as an aiff, it does not convert properly. What I get is an m4a file with nothing in it.

Also, I have had mixed success with using the advanced button. This is even if I am only doing a normal record, not doing it for a specified time. Sometimes it will work as expect and other times it does not. When it doesn't work what happens is that it will look like it is recording, the green recording is blinking, but the recording time is not advancing, or it advances for a period of time, and then stops advancing even though the green recording is still blinking (the actual recording time is not always the same which means that it will record at varying times before it stops recording). The same and similar result occur when I do a timed record like, 5, 10, 15 minutes, etc.

Now if I choose to use the assistant to do the setup, then all situations work swimmingly.

Also, I noticed when I used the advanced button to setup the recording, several of the songs had cracking, or popping sounds in them (I am recording songs from my itunes library and I know there are no sounds in those songs) so I don't know what would be causing that to happen. If I use the assistant then this does not happen.

I am always using the same songs and the same source (itunes library) to do the tests.

Well, the plot thickens as the saying goes. I did what you suggested by having at least one track before doing the save as m4a and that did work. However, I have found what I believe are other anomalies. That works only when I do the save as m4a first. If I do a save as aiff first and then do a save as m4a, that doesn't work. If I do a save as aiff, quit CDSD, go to the file and double click on it, or open CDSD and navigate to the file and select it and open it, it will open fine. Then if I do a save as m4a after having fist saved it as an aiff, it does not convert properly. What I get is an m4a file with nothing in it.

Also, I have had mixed success with using the advanced button. This is even if I am only doing a normal record, not doing it for a specified time. Sometimes it will work as expect and other times it does not. When it doesn't work what happens is that it will look like it is recording, the green recording is blinking, but the recording time is not advancing, or it advances for a period of time, and then stops advancing even though the green recording is still blinking (the actual recording time is not always the same which means that it will record at varying times before it stops recording). The same and similar result occur when I do a timed record like, 5, 10, 15 minutes, etc.

Now if I choose to use the assistant to do the setup, then all situations work swimmingly.

Also, I noticed when I used the advanced button to setup the recording, several of the songs had cracking, or popping sounds in them (I am recording songs from my itunes library and I know there are no sounds in those songs) so I don't know what would be causing that to happen. If I use the assistant then this does not happen.

I am always using the same songs and the same source (itunes library) to do the tests.

Interesting. It seems that Spin Doctor 6 was not quite finished in time for release at MacWorld Expo. But at least it is working once you know what route to take.

Archived